Cool Re: Rumour: Insider says MS Plans to Ban 1M Console

^^^ oh ok
abcgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-09, 09:12 PM   #27
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Rumour: Insider says MS Plans to Ban 1M Console

Cheap to good home: used 360, pirated games, slightly banned
A high level of piracy around the launch of Modern Warfare 2 has lead Microsoft to ban a number of Xbox 360 systems from Xbox Live. Now those systems are hitting the secondary market, and you might be stuck with a banned system if you're in the market for an inexpensive Xbox 360. Even with "free" games, this just isn't a good deal.

By Ben Kuchera | Last updated November 12, 2009 2:22 PM CTText Size Print this articleLeave a comment A big launch can lead to big piracy, especially with the console version of Modern Warfare 2, which was available online for modded Xbox 360 systems for a week or more before launch. Microsoft knows you shouldn't be playing the game before its official release, and activity on Xbox Live gives them an easy target. Consequently, an unknown number of consoles have been permanently banned from Xbox Live.

The techniques Microsoft uses to separate those who have wrangled early copies of the game from retailers and pirates remain nebulous, but once a console has been banned from Xbox Live, the system is useless to anyone who wishes to play online. That's a problem—or an opportunity— for the second-hand market, as waves of banned consoles are now up for sale on eBay and craigslist.

No online play, but free games!
The banned consoles come preloaded with hacks and, in many cases, copies of popular games. The problem isn't with gamers who knowingly buy a banned system in order to play copies of software or to simply enjoy offline, the issue is that there is no easy way to check if a console has been banned or not aside from logging into Xbox Live.

Microsoft's Major Nelson put it bluntly. "This would also be a good time to remind you that the warranty on an Xbox 360 console is not transferrable and if you purchase a used console that has been previously banned, you will not be able to connect to Xbox Live," he explained. If you're in the market for a used system, in other words, this is a large risk with the seemingly high number of banned consoles hitting the secondary market.

The problem is that when a retailer like GameStop takes a system in, it at the very most will plug the unit into a television to make sure it works. No one is going to connect the system to an Internet connection to check and see if the console has been banned. You can't tell by looking at it, and if you find yourself in possession of a banned console, Microsoft is going to be unsympathetic to your plight.

There is no magic bullet. Many systems that have been banned are being sold with the caveat that online play has been disabled on the unit, but it's impossible to tell how many Xbox 360 systems are being put on eBay or traded in to GameStop that can no longer go online. If you're buying a system on the secondary market, this is a good question to ask. If you're buying at a store, be sure to check out the return or exchange policy if it turns out the system has been banned.

The downside to modded consoles
A pirated game is copyright infringement, not theft, and it's doubtful that the cops are going to bust in your door simply for buying an inexpensive modded system loaded with burned games. If you're not modding systems for profit or putting your tools online, it's a civil, not criminal, infraction of the law. Having a modded console may put you on the wrong side of the DMCA, but the authorities have much bigger fish to fry when it comes to criminal action and lawsuits.

That being said, you'll never be able to update your system to the newest firmware. You won't be able to play against your friends online. So many of the features that make the Xbox 360 worth owning are tied into Xbox Live; permanently banned systems are crippled in a very tangible way. With systems available new for as low as $200 and used, non-banned systems available for less if you do some digging, it's not worth giving up so much just to save a few bucks.

Releases of huge titles like Modern Warfare 2 lead to spikes in piracy, which is a good excuse for Microsoft to bust out the Xbox Live ban hammer. It's doubtful that this deters pirates in any real way, but it's an inconvenience, and may work to discourage gamers who may be tempted by piracy. So be aware of what you're buying if you're in the market, and be sure you understand just how much you're giving up by buying a modded system, no matter how many games it comes with.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2...tly-banned.ars
Old 11-15-09, 03:37 AM   #28
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Is it true they are also banning people with custom HDDs and memory cards?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 05:41 AM   #29
Sean_W

This is awful and it's just like Microsoft to pull this sort of thing. You should be able to modify your hardware, piss on it, **** on it and still be able to play games.

Microsoft yet again ties it's software into the hardware so you cannot play anything due to the console needing LIVE. This is a flawed design and Microsoft are great at designing flawed software(way too integrated) to fool the user or tied them into it.

Xbox LIVE maybe good software to use but it's flawed just like software on Windows, with EULA's that people never read and agree to regardless.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 07:42 AM   #30
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Live isn't really good. It's hard to navigate and slow. Too much jammed into a once simple and fast interface.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 08:19 AM   #31
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
This is awful and it's just like Microsoft to pull this sort of thing. You should be able to modify your hardware, piss on it, **** on it and still be able to play games.

Microsoft yet again ties it's software into the hardware so you cannot play anything due to the console needing LIVE. This is a flawed design and Microsoft are great at designing flawed software(way too integrated) to fool the user or tied them into it.

Xbox LIVE maybe good software to use but it's flawed just like software on Windows, with EULA's that people never read and agree to regardless.
Welcome to a closed system.

Support open systems, play PC games.

DUN DUN DUN.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 01:15 PM   #32
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Welcome to a closed system.

Support open systems, play PC games.

DUN DUN DUN.
Does that support Modern Warfare 2 since it is limited for a PC game?

It's unreal how easy it is to dl 360 games.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-15-09, 01:24 PM   #33
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger View Post
Is it true they are also banning people with custom HDDs and memory cards?
memory cards yes, not sure about HDD, i have a custom hdd, but i haven't turned on my RROD_Box in over 2 months.
Old 11-15-09, 03:41 PM   #34
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
memory cards yes, not sure about HDD, i have a custom hdd, but i haven't turned on my RROD_Box in over 2 months.
I thought 3rd party Memory Cards are just blocked, not that they ban your system.
Old 11-15-09, 03:54 PM   #35
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post

So you should be able to mod the system to play illegally downloaded games just because you own it? They aren't banning you from playing games, you just can't download from Live or play online. Abuse the system and pay the consequence.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 04:09 PM   #36
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us View Post
So you should be able to mod the system to play illegally downloaded games just because you own it? They aren't banning you from playing games, you just can't download from Live or play online. Abuse the system and pay the consequence.
Yes, you should, because it's yours to do as you please. You buy it, you own it. That's like saying Microsoft will disable Windows if you have illegal software of any kind when you go online.

I'm pretty sure if this was the case for WIndows, people would be very pissed, saying 'it's a breach of our rights'.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote