Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-15-09, 04:34 PM   #37
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Default Re: Rumour: Insider says MS Plans to Ban 1M Console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yes, you should, because it's yours to do as you please. You buy it, you own it. That's like saying Microsoft will disable Windows if you have illegal software of any kind when you go online.

I'm pretty sure if this was the case for WIndows, people would be very pissed, saying 'it's a breach of our rights'.
If that is in the terms agreement when you purchase a Windows OS or any of its products then why would you go online with illegal software? To some extent they already do that with the Genuine Authentication software they have installed in Windows.

What rights are you exactly talking about? The software is not legally yours. You lose your rights when you break the Terms of Agreement.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 04:50 PM   #38
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us View Post
If that is in the terms agreement when you purchase a Windows OS or any of its products then why would you go online with illegal software? To some extent they already do that with the Genuine Authentication software they have installed in Windows.

What rights are you exactly talking about? The software is not legally yours. You lose your rights when you break the Terms of Agreement.
They can put whatever they like in the EULA or agreements, it doesn't have to be legal, only a court can judge that.

The software not being legally yours is not the issue here and LIVE shouldn't ever be allowed to say otherwise. Should your IP ban you from the internet because you play illegal games on-line?, noway!

If you had a Xbox modded to get you a Gold LIVE account then yes, they can ban you, but they shouldn't for playing one illegal game.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 09:22 PM   #39
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel_us View Post
So you should be able to mod the system to play illegally downloaded games just because you own it? They aren't banning you from playing games, you just can't download from Live or play online. Abuse the system and pay the consequence.
not sure about that part, but i say, you should be able to mod it.

i modded my original xbox, and it was great investment, at least i discovered XBMC, made the useless little box usable.

first Xbox Media Player, that turned into Xbox Media Center and that made the way to XBMC, Plex, MediaPortal and few others. all thanks to modded xboxes.
Old 11-15-09, 09:56 PM   #40
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

i modded my original xbox, and it was great investment, at least i discovered XBMC, made the useless little box usable.

first Xbox Media Player, that turned into Xbox Media Center and that made the way to XBMC, Plex, MediaPortal and few others. all thanks to modded xboxes.
Well I was just referring to using the mod to play pirated games but because of the pirates mods for uses like that people can't enjoy.

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 09:59 PM   #41
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post

I think people should have the right to mod their machines if they want. They bought the hardware, it's theirs to do whatever they want with.

But MS also has the right to ban people from XBL who have modded their systems. It's their service and you have to agree to their terms to use it.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 07:04 AM   #42
Sean_W

Microsoft to a degree has the right to tell you what to do and not to do. They can ban anyone who wears red socks while playing an XBox if they choice to put it in their license agreement.

It's all about power in the end and I think users need to know how to get some of that power back.
Old 11-16-09, 07:26 AM   #43
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
They can ban anyone who wears red socks while playing an XBox if they choice to put it in their license agreement.
Nooooo... they can put whatever they want in those agreements but it doesn't mean it is a real legal obligation, and they can't put anything in outside the scope of the service or product's use.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 07:55 AM   #44
Sean_W

Where in the license agreement does it say XBox LIVE accounts can be disabled because of a modded box and illegal games?

I remember modding my PS1 to play imported games, since they were better and fullscreen.

Old 11-16-09, 11:46 AM   #45
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Where in the license agreement does it say XBox LIVE accounts can be disabled because of a modded box and illegal games?

I remember modding my PS1 to play imported games, since they were better and fullscreen.
Do they really need to say it? You're playing burnt games on there service. Its like complaining that you cant play your illegally downloaded copy of MW2 over Steam.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 11:54 AM   #46
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Yeah i cant believe people actually claim they have a right to burn illegal games and even less play them on live which microsoft can do what they want cause its their system if they wanna ban 1million illegal modded 360s then they can do that.
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 04:59 PM   #47
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

haha, it is back firing

Quote:
I was at GameStop the other day and listened to a customer's questions about Microsoft's banning of modded X-Box 360s. The worker tried to explain that this banning was for those people that hacked their X-Box 360. The customer was worried that if her child downloaded any kind of content through the X-Box 360 that this might constitute a reason for a banning for her son's system. She was confused, so she decided to purchase a PS3 instead. I was told by the manager at that GameStop that this was not an isolated incident. They had received over 50 calls that day about the banning.

What Microsoft appears to have forgotten by earmarking this time of year for the banning of modded X-Box 360s is that most of the systems that are purchased this time of year is by parents and grandparents. The game systems that are purchased this time of year are usually done by those that do not have a firm grasp on the industry. Simply put, the systems are usually purchased by people that are fairly clueless about video games.
http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...an_to_ban.html
Old 11-16-09, 07:08 PM   #48
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Don't really have a problem with microsoft banning people using pirated games, but I'm assuming they're planning on banning everyone with a modded console(regardless of whether they've resorted to piracy or not)?