Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
Rofl!

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 06:18 AM   #50
Sean_W

Thumbs down Re: Rumour: Insider says MS Plans to Ban 1M Console

This is what Microsoft do. The console has been out five years and all of a sudden they want to ban modded Xbox's. The simple fact is they didn't do this from the start to get market share and worry about it later when you have a big base of users.

It's what they do with Windows and their software. Microsoft let a ton of users use duplicate keys and such and then try to ban the keys or disable the software, once it's got a good user base off it.

This also is good timing for Christmas. Microsoft ban a ton of users and make them buy new ones to boast sales.

Fortunately it's looking like biting them in the arse and about time too.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 07:33 AM   #51
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: Rumour: Insider says MS Plans to Ban 1M Console

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
This is what Microsoft do. The console has been out five years and all of a sudden they want to ban modded Xbox's. The simple fact is they didn't do this from the start to get market share and worry about it later when you have a big base of users.

It's what they do with Windows and their software. Microsoft let a ton of users use duplicate keys and such and then try to ban the keys or disable the software, once it's got a good user base off it.

This also is good timing for Christmas. Microsoft ban a ton of users and make them buy new ones to boast sales.

Fortunately it's looking like biting them in the arse and about time too.
They've been doing this from the start so it has nothing to do with market share. Piracy is wrong, but modding your hardware isn't.
Old 11-17-09, 09:24 AM   #52
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
They've been doing this from the start so it has nothing to do with market share. Piracy is wrong, but modding your hardware isn't.
They have not been banning one million people up until now. Microsoft just happen to start baning huge numbers of people at this time and the simple fact is, they shouldn't have let it get out of hand.

This is a good source of revenue for Microsoft, ban a million Xbox accounts every year so the users buy another box.

I never said that piracy was right, I just think the way they're doing this is wrong.
Old 11-17-09, 09:33 AM   #53
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
They have not been banning one million people up until now. Microsoft just happen to start baning huge numbers of people at this time and the simple fact is, they shouldn't have let it get out of hand.

This is a good source of revenue for Microsoft, ban a million Xbox accounts every year so the users buy another box.

I never said that piracy was right, I just think the way they're doing this is wrong.
But there is no other reason other than piracy to be modding a Xbox 360 at this point. It cannot be turned into a media center like the original XBox. Moreover these pirates don't have to buy a knew 360 as it doesn't stop them from playing the burnt games, the ban only stops them from playing or updating them over live.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 09:51 AM   #54
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N View Post
But there is no other reason other than piracy to be modding a Xbox 360 at this point. It cannot be turned into a media center like the original XBox. Moreover these pirates don't have to buy a knew 360 as it doesn't stop them from playing the burnt games, the ban only stops them from playing or updating them over live.
So they can play a legal game on a modded box through XBL, even after a ban?
Old 11-17-09, 11:16 AM   #55
ViN86

Quote:
So they can play a legal game on a modded box through XBL, even after a ban?
No, the bans are just from XBL. He was saying that even though they're banned from XBL, they can still download/burn/play pirated games offline in single player.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-09, 02:27 PM   #56
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
No, the bans are just from XBL. He was saying that even though they're banned from XBL, they can still download/burn/play pirated games offline in single player.
I know that but the fact remains that the people will have to buy a new XBox to get back on to XBL.

People will most lightly do two things; get a new XBox, get a PS3.

Old 11-21-09, 08:06 AM   #57
Ruined

The people got banned are running pirated games. Microsoft makes no money off pirated games. I doubt they will lose sleep over these "customers" that make them little to no money buying a PS3.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 09:12 AM   #58
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Don't really have a problem with microsoft banning people using pirated games, but I'm assuming they're planning on banning everyone with a modded console(regardless of whether they've resorted to piracy or not)?
Modded consoles == where game hackers reside as well. It's not just about piracy. People cheating in games is a big issue as well.

And this is all covered by the EULA that everyone agrees to, if they have an XB.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 09:34 AM   #59
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
The people got banned are running pirated games. Microsoft makes no money off pirated games. I doubt they will lose sleep over these "customers" that make them little to no money buying a PS3.
I bet Microsoft made money off those people who brought a gold account, various add-ons and such.
Old 11-21-09, 07:08 PM   #60
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

interesting bit of info

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.p...pic=695363&st=

yes, Toshiba-Samsung drive [ 292 ] [6.83%]
yes, Hitachi-LG drive [ 273 ] [6.39%]
yes, BenQ drive [ 646 ] [15.11%]
yes, Lite-On drive [ 922 ] [21.57%]
no (modified FW) [ 987 ] [23.09%]
no (unmodified FW) [ 267 ] [6.25%]
don't know, stayed off LIVE [ 887 ] [20.75%]

i know that these numbers don't cover 1m consoles, but it is quite a good size, and if you take these numbers 23% possibily more are not affected.