Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-12-09, 04:49 PM   #1
TheANIMAL

Default A very interesting business article concerning Activision-Blizzard and MW2

Someone has written an article about the film and games industry as one subject. Its quite amazing to see these comparasons across the wider entertainment industry.

The article can be found here.
http://www.mcvuk.com/features/583/Modern-Marvel

Individual franchises of the Games industry have more than caught up with the Film industry, although the size of the games companies individually have not caught up with the size of individual film publishers, e.g. Comparing Electronic Arts to Disney.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 04:56 PM   #2
methimpikehoses

Default Re: A very interesting business article concerning Activision-Blizzard and MW2

Wow, I don't see how that can be right, particularly the MW2 ranking. Maybe projected sales?
Old 11-12-09, 05:03 PM   #3
TheANIMAL

Default Re: A very interesting business article concerning Activision-Blizzard and MW2

Yes its a projected sale, to be honest i think that projection is conservative.
Old 11-12-09, 05:22 PM   #4
pakotlar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheANIMAL View Post
Yes its a projected sale, to be honest i think that projection is conservative.
Based on what?
Old 11-12-09, 05:43 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by pakotlar View Post
Based on what?
On the previous titles sales.
Old 11-12-09, 06:24 PM   #6
ViN86

Where's GTA:IV on that list?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-09, 06:34 PM   #7
methimpikehoses

What the hell is the Alchemist? I've never even heard of that. Someone google it.
Old 11-12-09, 06:43 PM   #8
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
industry have more than caught up with the Film industry, although the size of the games companies individually have not caught up with the size of individual film publishers, e.g. Comparing Electronic Arts to Disney.
That's because most games lose money... EA lost 700 million last quarter. These companies spend tons of money developing games and advertising games and then 90% of them lose millions.

It's why when pirates say EA is raking in the cash and they aren't hurting anyone they are being asshats.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-09, 08:21 PM   #9
TheANIMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
That's because most games lose money... EA lost 700 million last quarter. These companies spend tons of money developing games and advertising games and then 90% of them lose millions.

It's why when pirates say EA is raking in the cash and they aren't hurting anyone they are being asshats.
I think you are slightly exaggerating. 90% of them loose millions?

Anywho, the difference between the 2 examples i made in my OP was a difference of revenue between 4.28 billion and 35.5 billion, so erm, i think the maturity of the two companies and industries plays a teeiiieny part there.
Old 11-13-09, 03:01 AM   #10
Revs

There are some pretty average films in that list.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09, 03:01 AM   #11
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
I think you are slightly exaggerating. 90% of them loose millions?

Anywho, the difference between the 2 examples i made in my OP was a difference of revenue between 4.28 billion and 35.5 billion, so erm, i think the maturity of the two companies and industries plays a teeiiieny part there.
I didn't pull the number from nowhere, there was some article not long ago posted on all the major news sites and blogs that said 9 out of 10 games lose money or some similar thing.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-09, 10:53 AM   #12
Kaguya

I'm still skeptical of the source of the stats: Box Office Mojo, Wikipedia and LCM Media are the sources used... but what did they use to collect that data? Are they all compared on the same scale, or does the profits include DVD sales for movies (as comparing a movie only on theatre profits isn't accurate if you also expect to compare World of Warcraft which has a subscription - of course it's going to come out on top, people are still paying for it).

I'm also surprised not to see The Sims up there in any way shape or form. It's always on every top sales list for games along with WoW.

That's the biggest problem with a lot of these types of comparisons, especially using disparate sources with likely very different means of measuring profit. As the saying goes, it's like comparing apples to oranges.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote