Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-09, 12:53 PM   #1
DiscipleDOC
 
DiscipleDOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama, Planet Earth
Posts: 5,993
Default Google Chrome

Ok, so I decided to try it out. I'm using it right now, and I like how fast it is. The only problems with this, is that I can not block ads, block flash, or control tabs. I'm pretty sure that I can do some research and find the answers, but I'd rather ask you guys.

Help a brotha out?
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 12:58 PM   #2
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Google Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Ok, so I decided to try it out. I'm using it right now, and I like how fast it is. The only problems with this, is that I can not block ads, block flash, or control tabs. I'm pretty sure that I can do some research and find the answers, but I'd rather ask you guys.

Help a brotha out?
Ads are why I stopped using it. Something was released from the community a while back, but nothing quick and simple. I'm sure it will catch up to adblock though before too long.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 01:04 PM   #3
DiscipleDOC
 
DiscipleDOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama, Planet Earth
Posts: 5,993
Default Re: Google Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Ads are why I stopped using it. Something was released from the community a while back, but nothing quick and simple. I'm sure it will catch up to adblock though before too long.
That's a shame. It's starting to grow on me, and I would really like to use this more than FF.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 01:09 PM   #4
DiscipleDOC
 
DiscipleDOC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Alabama, Planet Earth
Posts: 5,993
Default Re: Google Chrome

Update: Privoxy works, but it's an independent app. It's a little cumbersome to have to start that up in order to run a browser. My first impression is that this browser is not ready for prime time, yet.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 01:11 PM   #5
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Google Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
That's a shame. It's starting to grow on me, and I would really like to use this more than FF.
Agreed - I love the speed and don't even mind the bland looks. I've just gotten used to a certain config and would like to keep it.

You may not mind Adsweep.

The banner on top of the page is enough to turn me off LOL!

EDIT: It's been a while since using this, it may actually be good now. Don't know.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 02:03 PM   #6
BrianG
aka HalcYoN - Hook Em!
 
BrianG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Austin, TX, USA
Posts: 1,184
Default Re: Google Chrome

Meh, ads suck but they help support the sites I visit. If a site starts getting too obnoxious with ads, like this one, I visit less frequently.

Google Chrome is my primary browser.
__________________
Brian - aka HalcYoN

photobriangray
Nikon D700 and D300s | SB-600 | Tamron 28-75/2.8 | Tamron 17-50/2.8 | Nikon 70-200VR I
10.5/2.8 Fisheye | 28/1.8 AF-S | 35/1.8 AF-S | 50/1.8 | 105/F2 AF-D | Sigma 150/2.8 Macro
Nikon J1 | 10-30VR |30-100VR | 10/2.8 | 18/1.8
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 02:26 PM   #7
Yaboze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: United States
Posts: 2,057
Default Re: Google Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Ok, so I decided to try it out. I'm using it right now, and I like how fast it is. The only problems with this, is that I can not block ads, block flash, or control tabs. I'm pretty sure that I can do some research and find the answers, but I'd rather ask you guys.

Help a brotha out?
This is why I am not using it. I'm using FF for now and will switch when I can do all of those things.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-09, 08:24 PM   #8
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Google Chrome

Privoxy does the trick for me as Google Chrome is my primary browser now.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-09, 10:42 PM   #9
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: Google Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Update: Privoxy works, but it's an independent app. It's a little cumbersome to have to start that up in order to run a browser. My first impression is that this browser is not ready for prime time, yet.
I think if you use FF and Chrome side by side, as I do, the speed, efficiency and non-finicky nature of Chrome will eventually win you over. Plus, it doesn't crash, individual tabs may, but the browser itself has not failed me yet.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 10:17 PM   #10
Sazar
Sayonara !!!
 
Sazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 9,297
Default Re: Google Chrome

Extensions are now live.

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

Have to download the DEV build.

Once you do, you will be able to download extensions from the following site.

http://www.chromeextensions.org/

The actual google site is not live yet.

Btw, since I know pretty much all of you will be looking to get ad-block going, you can install from the site.

And yes, it works. Running it right now

-edit-

Updated post, the icon is not hidden anymore

Last edited by Sazar; 11-23-09 at 02:56 PM.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 01:43 PM   #11
Maverick123w
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,841
Send a message via AIM to Maverick123w
Default Re: Google Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Extensions are now live.

http://www.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

Have to download the DEV build.

Once you do, you will be able to download extensions from the following site.

http://www.chromeextensions.org/

The actual google site is not live yet.

Btw, since I know pretty much all of you will be looking to get ad-block going, you can install from the site.

And yes, it works. Running it right now

-edit-

Updated post, the icon is not hidden anymore
Can't believe I missed this!
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-09, 02:04 PM   #12
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Google Chrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC View Post
Update: Privoxy works, but it's an independent app. It's a little cumbersome to have to start that up in order to run a browser. My first impression is that this browser is not ready for prime time, yet.
you can set privoxy to start automatically when the system boots up. It uses next to nothing in terms of resources, so I don't mind having it setup that way.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.