Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-09, 05:27 PM   #37
piotrq__

Default Re: Adobe Flash 10.1 beta out!

VDPAU has it's own deint. filters, but I never had to use any of them so I don't know how to make that stuff work.
Anyway, glad you got it running :-)
Enjoy HD youtube without burning your CPU now.
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 02:01 PM   #38
dougdeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicminer View Post
There is a thread on the adobe forums requesting VDPAU support on Linux:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/525931?tstart=0

It might be worth people reading this adding their voices to that thread.

I'm really surprised given that there has been a lot of press about NVIDIA working with Adobe on flash 10.1 that there isn't any support for VDPAU, and their claim that:

"Linux currently lacks a developed standard API that supports H.264 hardware video decoding"

seems very odd given the rapid adoption and uptake of VDPAU. Yes XvMC doesn't do h.264 but there is an alternative.

I'm very disappointed, I thought this would solve my problems with the BBC iPlayer on my ION system. But seemingly not
I really hate to defend Adobe, because I hate them. But I think they're right. There isn't a developed standard API for video acceleration on Linux. VDPAU is not a standard that transcends manufacturer. I know someone is working on an interface/wrapper that will abstract VDPAU, intel's accel, and ati's, but it's very early in design and development.
dougdeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-09, 07:58 PM   #39
apaige

Then again, NVIDIA advertised on the superiority of their chips (or was it just ION?) with the then-upcoming Flash 10.1. I'm guessing they had some sort of collaboration with Adobe. The lack of hardware acceleration in the linux version of Flash 10.1 even with NVIDIA chips is unacceptable at this point. And making it sound like there is no framework for h.264 acceleration is just adding insult to injury.
apaige is offline   Reply With Quote