Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-09, 12:05 AM   #1
mullet

Default For all HTPC folks.

I just got ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum + and it runs so nice on WIN 7 64bit. I have officially given up on PowerDVD 7.3 & 9. The PQ is pretty damn good even for SD DVD's. What I really like is it has full HD-DVD & Blu-Ray support.
Old 11-18-09, 12:21 AM   #2
JasonPC

Default Re: For all HTPC folks.

Just wondering, what was your problem with PowerDVD?
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 12:39 AM   #3
mullet

Well 7.3 is the only version that supports both HD-DVD & Blu-Ray. I tried 9 for just Blu-Ray and its so bloated and sluggish. Then when I loaded Win 7 64bit both 7.3 & 9 gave me Areo warnings and would hard lock the whole system. After may tries it was apparent there were many others with the same problem. It seems that ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 3 Platinum had there act together and had Win 7 support right off. Once I loaded it I swapped HD-DVD & Blu-Ray back and forth and it played them great with faster load times.
Old 11-18-09, 12:54 AM   #4
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

so totalmedia theatre 3 doesn't cause Aero issues?

What about codecs/decoders, does it install some strange decoders that take over the system and force themself into other players?
Old 11-18-09, 09:46 AM   #5
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
so totalmedia theatre 3 doesn't cause Aero issues?

What about codecs/decoders, does it install some strange decoders that take over the system and force themself into other players?
No not at all, it runs like a champ with no issues at all for me. No on the codex, you actually have to go in and tell it what to open instead of it taking your system over like PDVD. Ohh I forgot it will integrate itself into WMC's wmp it's pretty cool so it works with WMP in WMC. In other words you can use WMC if you want without seeing totalmedia theatre 3 at all.

EDIT: use this code ARC404P20 and get 20% off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcsoft_Jason
Whee. It's real this time.

Files will be going live between now and Monday evening PDT--probably close to the latter but we'll see how things are progressing by the end of the day...

Trial will be available again with one fairly major limitation you aren't used to. No trial on Dolby codecs so you get no audio on such discs. Bummer, but that's Dolby's choice and we could not convince them otherwise.

Xonar HDAV works. You'll be able to test it for yourself on DTS-HD MA. There's some hassle in switching disc formats not unlike in the ASUS version. Known issue. Regarding updates, we'll be updating the core code on our schedule so you'll see an improvement there. Updates to the custom bitstreaming code could potentially (the details are sketchy here at this time) still wait for full approval from ASUS and not migrate into our version until after ASUS releases them in theirs. Some may consider that a mixed bag--so consider that in your decision.

HD-DVD support should be identical to TMT2.

Win7 works. I've seen no issues at all here in limited testing.

Vista64 is supported.

XP64 remains on our "Sorry, not in the cards" list.

Compatability with TMT2 on the same system should be fixed. This was a last minute change and I haven't had a chance yet to verify it. But you should be able to test TMT3 without uninstalling TMT2, and if you hate TMT3, TMT2 will not be affected.
Old 11-18-09, 10:34 PM   #6
JasonPC

Sounds nice but geez these programs are so expensive.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 09:00 AM   #7
bacon12

Will it play mkv's? The one thing I really wish pwrdvd could handle.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 10:37 AM   #8
mullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
Yep

Quote:
Supported File Formats***:

* Video
MPEG-1 (.M1V), MPEG-2 (.M2V, .TS, .TRP, .TP and etc.), MPEG-2 HD (.M2TS, .M2T, .MTS), MPEG-4 (.MP4, .DIV, .DIVX), WMV, WMV HD, DVR-MS, H.264 (.264, .26L, .H264, .AVC, .JSV, .JVT and etc.) , VC1, DV AVI, Real (.RM*, .RMVB, .RAM, .RV, .RA), QuickTime (.MOV, .QT), FLV, MKV, DivX AVI*, DivX HD, VOB, ASF, DAT, VRO,3GP, 3G2
Note:
i. RM (RealMedia with RealNetworks codec installed)
ii. Divx AVI (with DivX codec installed)

* Audio
MP2, MP3, WAV, Ogg, AAC, WMA, MP3 CDs
* Digital Camcorder
Digital camcorder device, auto detection, and playback, from Canon, Sony, Panasonic, and JVC.
* Decoding
LPCM, Dolby Digital, Dolby®, TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS Digital, DTS 96/24, DTS-ES, and DTS-HD Hi-Resolution, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS Neo 6.

*A compatible NVIDIA graphic card with the latest driver supporting CUDA installed are required.
**ASUS Xonar HDAV series audio card required.
***Available in standard retail version.

Old 11-19-09, 12:23 PM   #9
mullet

BTW is MKV better the ISO? is there a easy way to convert ISO to MKV?
Old 11-19-09, 12:34 PM   #10
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullet View Post
BTW is MKV better the ISO? is there a easy way to convert ISO to MKV?
MKV is just the main movie
if you want to convert ISO (disk image) to MKV to have to open up the iso take the VOB (DVD), M2TS (blu-ray) or EVO (HD-DVD) files from the main movie and mux them to MKV file.

MKV is not a format, just a container, inside MKV there can be MPEG, AVC, H264, Divx, Xvid, AC3, Mp3, AAC, DTS etc...
Old 11-19-09, 12:36 PM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon12 View Post
PowerDVD will not, but if you have MKV, just use TsMuxeR, free tiny app, load in the MKV and mux them to either TS or M2TS file and they will play fine in PowerDVD.

all that does it change the container the actual video or audio is not altered in anyway, and it is a fast process, no re-encoding.

the problem with MKV is that, it is not a commercial format, it was born on the web and in beginning mostly adapted by pirates (majority is still used by pirates). That is why most commercial programs simply don't recognize it.
Old 11-19-09, 12:45 PM   #12
bacon12

Yep I mainly did it to conserve space, especially with br iso's. The free tools out there work very well, and converting the audio to flac you don't loose any quality as far as I can tell. You will need anydvd to do this thou.

All the tools you need are listed in this thread except mkverge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
PowerDVD will not, but if you have MKV, just use TsMuxeR, free tiny app, load in the MKV and mux them to either TS or M2TS file and they will play fine in PowerDVD.

all that does it change the container the actual video or audio is not altered in anyway, and it is a fast process, no re-encoding.

the problem with MKV is that, it is not a commercial format, it was born on the web and in beginning mostly adapted by pirates (majority is still used by pirates). That is why most commercial programs simply don't recognize it.
Yea I know it can play m2ts, and most of the time you can just pull it straight off the iso if the language matches by default and play it fine.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote