Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-09, 11:44 PM   #1
mooninite

Default Gnome Fedora 12 (Xorg 1.7.1) + 190.42 + Xv = instability

Immediately after upgrading from F11 to F12 yesterday my 9800 GTX+ machine is having a hard time staying up. It seems rooted with video feeds. I've run Unigine Tropics for over 15 minutes without a glitch. Letting the computer run overnight does not result in any errors either. However, after starting a video in Totem or Skype session or Pidgin video session will net me some Xid messages and more often than not some "WAIT" messages in my Xorg.0.log. X will freeze, flicker, or become extremely slow to update the screen eventually. Time frame can be anywhere from 10 seconds to 10 minutes to see a Xid or freeze.

I will know when I get a Xid as my screen flickers for a millisecond. Sometimes I will lose Xv output at this point. Totem and Skype will not display video. I can hear them playing but there is just a black area where the video should be. The only way to get back Xv is to restart the computer.

Example of Xid messages:
Code:
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 6, PE0001 
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 6, PE0003
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 6, PE0001
I thought it was TripleBuffering. Disabled - still hangs. Disabled all other features, still hangs.

I've attached a current bug report (as of this posting) and Xorg.0.log.old showing WAIT messages. I had played about 3 videos (about 3-5 minutes in length each) and I got those Xid messages and Xv died (totem shows black area instead of video).
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (38.2 KB, 159 views)
File Type: gz Xorg.0.log.old.gz (3.6 KB, 140 views)

Last edited by mooninite; 11-20-09 at 10:09 AM.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 02:10 AM   #2
gbil

Default Re: Fedora 12 (Xorg 1.7.1) + 190.42 + Xv = instability

I don't experience anything like this after upgrading to F12 but keep in mind that I build my own kernel.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 04:24 AM   #3
joukio

hi,

gbil, could you give some more information on how you build your own kernel (like, make menuconfig, or do you edit the spec file? ). And what's the diff to the regular FC12 kernel?

kind regards

Jouk
joukio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 04:58 AM   #4
gbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by joukio View Post
hi,

gbil, could you give some more information on how you build your own kernel (like, make menuconfig, or do you edit the spec file? ). And what's the diff to the regular FC12 kernel?

kind regards

Jouk
I don't rebuild the spec but compile it from scratch based on a config I have a couple of years now and it is based on my hardware so there are many differences for sure with the stock kernel but haven't checked the base differences eg. cpu, scheduler etc.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 09:44 AM   #5
kwizart

Once you have set
setsebool -P allow_execstack on
The driver should work fine for standard fedora kernel.

That been said there is a well known problem with KDE, the workaround is to have a custom xorg server (with a patch removed).
can be seen on the F-12 common bugs which is related to the nvidia closed source driver according to fedora.

If not theses problem, please report a nvidia-bug-report.sh output.
kwizart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 10:42 AM   #6
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwizart View Post
Once you have set
setsebool -P allow_execstack on
The driver should work fine for standard fedora kernel.

That been said there is a well known problem with KDE, the workaround is to have a custom xorg server (with a patch removed).
can be seen on the F-12 common bugs which is related to the nvidia closed source driver according to fedora.

If not theses problem, please report a nvidia-bug-report.sh output.
1) SELinux is set correct. I'm not having any issues with compiz or 3D apps.
2) I'm using Gnome.
3) I've already attached a bug report.
Old 11-19-09, 10:56 AM   #7
kwizart

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooninite View Post
1) SELinux is set correct. I'm not having any issues with compiz or 3D apps.
2) I'm using Gnome.
3) I've already attached a bug report.
Indeed, so the report told that you had nouveau loaded at the same time as nvidia.
Have you regenerated the initramfs, then rebooted
http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia#he...0681fc392aaeb6 ?
kwizart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 04:30 PM   #8
psychok9

I've similar problem:
I've disabled nouveau driver, and now KDE Starts, but isn't usable because the UI freeze when I click on kickoff, ALT+F2, and similar operations with the user interface.
nVidia will support with future releases Server X 1.7 and KDE 4.3?
Thanks.

Any help it's appreciated.
psychok9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-09, 12:41 AM   #9
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwizart View Post
Indeed, so the report told that you had nouveau loaded at the same time as nvidia.
Have you regenerated the initramfs, then rebooted
http://rpmfusion.org/Howto/nVidia#he...0681fc392aaeb6 ?
Whether nouveau is loaded or not makes no difference. I used Fedora 11 and Fedora 10 with it loaded. Never had any stability issues like this.

In any case I rebuilt my initramfs, but here's another bug report showing Xid messages and I lost Xv a few minutes after bootup. This is getting so bad I might end up nuking my F12 setup and go back to F11.

I also have 9500 GT, 9600 GT, and a 9650M GT on F12 now, but they don't experience any stability issues. They all have nouveau loaded. I don't see how it could be a hardware issue since temps on the 9800 GTX+ card are not getting above 50C (47C at the time of this post) and running 3D apps for hours does not cause any issues.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (38.0 KB, 115 views)
Old 11-20-09, 04:43 AM   #10
thewonderer57

Temporary Fix:
It is a known issue that KDE + NVidia + Fedora 12 = slow UI
Fedora 12 Common Bugs

The reason for the bad UI responsiveness is because of a change that Fedora committed to the Xorg server broke Nvidia's driver performance (not Fedora's fault).
Someone in the community has made a repository containing the un-patched version of Xorg.

Just add the following to /etc/yum.repos.d/xorgFix.repo :

[rdieter]
name=xorg-x11-server rebuilds for nvidia users
baseurl=http://rdieter.fedorapeople.org/repo/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/
enabled=1
gpgcheck=0

Then:
-#> yum update

Then reboot. That should fix it !
-------------------------

Note, if you're having trouble installing the NVidia driver altogether in Fedora 12, it's because the Nouveau driver takes control of the graphics card earlier in the boot procedure. To fix this, go to this tutorial:
SOLVED Fedora 12 Nvidia Installation
thewonderer57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 09:44 AM   #11
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

The Fedora patch addresses a serious crash bug that was introduced into the X server with the 1.7 series that I documented in this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25136

From a not crashing standpoint, that fix is correct but it doesn't address a larger performance issue that the original change introduced as well. I sent a hotfix for that out to the xorg-devel mailing list, but it seems it has yet to make it into git: http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...er/003569.html
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-09, 10:10 AM   #12
mooninite

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
The Fedora patch addresses a serious crash bug that was introduced into the X server with the 1.7 series that I documented in this bug: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=25136

From a not crashing standpoint, that fix is correct but it doesn't address a larger performance issue that the original change introduced as well. I sent a hotfix for that out to the xorg-devel mailing list, but it seems it has yet to make it into git: http://lists.x.org/archives/xorg-dev...er/003569.html
What about for Gnome/Compiz users?

I updated the title to correctly state that this is not a KDE issue that I'm having.