Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-09, 07:18 PM   #1
dreavus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 24
Default Can't delete folders

I can't delete D:\Users, D:\Windows, and D:\Program Files. they are on an old drive with a lot of data I want too keep. I can't store it else where so I cant reformat the drive.
dreavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 07:42 PM   #2
Albo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: MA, USA
Posts: 3,633
Default Re: Can't delete folders

That doesn't make too much sense. If you want to keep the data, why do you want to delete it?
I am 100% sure that windows blocks deleting major folders like that. What exactly are you trying to do?
Albo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 07:52 PM   #3
dreavus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 24
Default Re: Can't delete folders

I moved all the files I wanted to save it on a folder on to the root. I want to delete everything else on the drive but the saved folder.
dreavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 08:20 PM   #4
Q
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,808
Default Re: Can't delete folders

1. Take ownership (NTFS) of directories.
2. Give your user full control under NTFS.
3. Try to delete
4. Restart computer and try to delete again.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 08:21 PM   #5
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Can't delete folders

Use command prompt. Right click on command prompt and run as administrator. Then type the following (hit return after each entry):

Code:
D:
rmdir Users
rmdir "Program Files"
rmdir Windows
After, type dir to make sure they've been deleted. If they've been deleted, they won't be listed.

Usually, command prompt as Admin will override everything.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 08:41 PM   #6
supra
2JZ powered
 
supra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Aus
Posts: 1,321
Send a message via MSN to supra
Default Re: Can't delete folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
1. Take ownership (NTFS) of directories.
2. Give your user full control under NTFS.
3. Try to delete
4. Restart computer and try to delete again.
yeh i reckon its that too. probs got old ntfs permissions still on it. take control of permissions and try again.
__________________
supra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 08:56 PM   #7
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Can't delete folders

Admin command prompt doesn't care about the privileges
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 10:30 AM   #8
dreavus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 24
Default Re: Can't delete folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
1. Take ownership (NTFS) of directories.
2. Give your user full control under NTFS.
3. Try to delete
4. Restart computer and try to delete again.

When I was tryig to do this on my own thats some of thie things I got. I think I need to do step 2 but not sure how.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Use command prompt. Right click on command prompt and run as administrator. Then type the following (hit return after each entry):

Code:
D:
rmdir Users
rmdir "Program Files"
rmdir Windows
After, type dir to make sure they've been deleted. If they've been deleted, they won't be listed.

Usually, command prompt as Admin will override everything.
Code:
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7100]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>D:

D:\>rmdir Users
Access is denied.

D:\>
dreavus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-09, 11:09 AM   #9
einstein_314
w00t!!
 
einstein_314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,905
Default Re: Can't delete folders

1) Right Click on the folder in question > Properties > Security Tab > Advanced Button > Owner Tab > Edit Button > Choose your account > OK > OK
2) Back on the Security Tab in folder properties, click on Edit to change permissions
3) Select your account and check Allow for all options.
4) Delete folder
__________________
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz (9 x 355) w/ Swiftec APOGEE GTX Waterblock|| Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi Edition
eVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked Edition @ 675/1150 w/ DangerDen 8800GTX Waterblock|| 4x1GB Mushkin XP2 PC2-8500
X-Fi Fatal1ty 64MB || PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W || Seagate 7200.10 320 GB || Dell 2407WFP
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 11:16 AM   #10
Revs
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 6,365
Default Re: Can't delete folders

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it can be done in Disk Cleanup. I know if you reinstall Windows and don't format the drive, the old Windows folder is saved as Windows.old in the drive and you have to delete this way.
Revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 12:59 PM   #11
dreavus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 24
Default Re: Can't delete folders

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314 View Post
1) Right Click on the folder in question > Properties > Security Tab > Advanced Button > Owner Tab > Edit Button > Choose your account > OK > OK
2) Back on the Security Tab in folder properties, click on Edit to change permissions
3) Select your account and check Allow for all options.
4) Delete folder
Worked for the Users folder, but not working for the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revs View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think it can be done in Disk Cleanup. I know if you reinstall Windows and don't format the drive, the old Windows folder is saved as Windows.old in the drive and you have to delete this way.
I installed Windows 7 on a different hard drive. Its smaller than my main one, it was for testing purposes. I decided to stay with it, and instead of reinstalling 7 on my main drive, keep win 7 on the smaller drive and use the main drive for storage.
dreavus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 01:15 PM   #12
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Can't delete folders

Did you run the command prompt as administrator? I guess the real question is does your user even have Administrative privileges?

Also, you're sure you're deleting the correct Windows folder right?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.