Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-21-09, 12:11 AM   #1
aronparsons

Default Lockup Using VDPAU on F12

Playing H264 video on F12 x86_64 with VDPAU via XBMC causes a hard lock-up. The bug report doesn't contain the kernel stack trace, but I grabbed it from a previous lock-up. It happens when the video first starts or 5-10 minutes in.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (32.4 KB, 108 views)
File Type: gz kernel.txt.gz (1.3 KB, 86 views)
aronparsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-09, 09:07 AM   #2
Stephen Warren

Default Re: Lockup Using VDPAU on F12

Thanks for the bug report. A few questions:

* Can you reliably reproduce this (at a specific time in) a specific clip, or does it occur at random times across multiple files.

* Does it only happen in XBMC or also e.g. MPlayer?

* Can you run XBMC over SSH or a serial console, and set the following environment variables before running it: "export VDPAU_NVIDIA_DEBUG=3; export VDPAU_TRACE=1". That might yield some extra debug information depending on timing. If you can repro with MPlayer, it might be easier to capture this information using MPlayer.

* Are you using any TV capture or DVB capture HW at the time these problems occur?

* From the kernel log in the bug report, I see various errors happening in 190.42 but not 185.18.36. Is this a regression, or perhaps you only started using XBMC, or playing a specific type of file, with the more recent driver? If it is a change in driver behaviour, could you try various drivers between 185.18.26 and 190.42 to see if you can pin-point when this started happening?

Thanks.
Stephen Warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-09, 07:39 PM   #3
aronparsons

It occurs at random times in multiple clips.

The XBMC revision was the same between F11 and F12. I've been running XBMC from SVN for ~5 years, so I am quite familiar with what is going on there.

The 190.42 NVIDIA driver was used on both F11 and F12.

I can't get it to reproduce via mplayer.

Running with the environment variables set didn't seem to produce any additional debug output, but the log is available. http://pastebin.com/f36c18786

No capture hardware is present on the system.
Old 11-30-09, 12:10 PM   #4
Stephen Warren

Thanks for the information. I have filed a bug.

Is this issue specific to 190.42, or did you see it in other drivers too? Thanks.
Old 12-01-09, 08:29 AM   #5
aronparsons

I spent a minute trying 185.18.36 on Fedora 12, but something else was out of whack. Since this system is a HTPC, I just rolled back to Fedora 11 so it was functional again. The 190.42 driver is behaving fine in this configuration. Thanks for looking into this, Stephen.
Old 03-19-10, 06:12 PM   #6
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Hi aronparsons,

We weren't able to reproduce this in-house. By any chance, have you gone back to try FC12 again with one of our newer releases to see if the problem is still happening?
danix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 08:24 AM   #7
aronparsons

It still occurs with 195.36.08 on the 2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64 kernel, but only on this one system. Using a 2.6.30 kernel from F11 with a F12 userland on the troublesome box works fine.
Old 03-22-10, 11:54 AM   #8
danix
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aronparsons View Post
It still occurs with 195.36.08 on the 2.6.32.9-70.fc12.x86_64 kernel, but only on this one system. Using a 2.6.30 kernel from F11 with a F12 userland on the troublesome box works fine.
Do you mean to say that on another system that you have, the same software configuration (2.6.32 kernel, FC12, XBMC, VDPAU) works fine? If so, that might explain why we've had trouble reproducing the issue on our end; sometimes it's hard to match someone else's hardware config exactly...
danix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-10, 12:12 PM   #9
Stephen Warren

Do you have a TV capture or DVB card in your system, and actively capturing video? Or, any other kind of HW device - i.e. something that captures some kind of data into system memory.
Old 03-22-10, 02:17 PM   #10
mwaechter

On my side I am running VDPAU on two boxes, each running Gentoo x86_64 with VDR 1.7.13 in HD (1080p50), HDMI to a Full-HD flat screen. The client app is vdr-xineliboutput plugin (CVS head) with xine-lib 1.2 head. Both boxes do suffer from replay trouble if the video stream is bad (i.e. bad tuning quality from satellite). The issue persists irrespective of packet-based installation or “make install” in all versions from Nov 2009 to now. Both computers contain one or more DVB-S2 cards of different vendors and bus systems (PCI cards, PCIe cards).

The first box (G 210) is facing two unexpected results: The most frequent issue is a hard reboot. The lesser frequent is a hard lockup with immediate power-down of the power supply which can be recovered from only by unplugging the power cord and waiting for >10 seconds. Very strange.

The second box (GT 220) faces replay problems, too, with frequent client lockups and less frequent hard reboots.

All issues are related to HD channel viewing only (h.264) irrespective of live or recorded viewing.

I will try to build a debug log of the system, but I have not been able to generate a segfault or stack trace yet. Maybe my issues and the F12-based issue are related.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (32.6 KB, 52 views)

Last edited by mwaechter; 03-22-10 at 04:34 PM. Reason: added nvidia-bug-report.log.gz
mwaechter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 06:48 AM   #11
aronparsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by danix View Post
Do you mean to say that on another system that you have, the same software configuration (2.6.32 kernel, FC12, XBMC, VDPAU) works fine? If so, that might explain why we've had trouble reproducing the issue on our end; sometimes it's hard to match someone else's hardware config exactly...
Yes. The system that produces the lockups is a custom-built system with an 8500GT. I've tried various kernel parameters including pci=nommconf and disabling the HPET with no success.

I also have an Acer Revo 1600 running F12 x86_64 that has no issues; they're running the same versions of everything, the same XBMC binaries and obviously the same video sources.

It's probably fine to just close this bug report since it's likely my hardware combination causing the issue, unless you know of any other parameters that might act as a workaround.
Old 03-23-10, 06:49 AM   #12
aronparsons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Warren View Post
Do you have a TV capture or DVB card in your system, and actively capturing video? Or, any other kind of HW device - i.e. something that captures some kind of data into system memory.
No, just the motherboard and the NVIDIA card.