Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-18-09, 09:40 PM   #1
mbarnes

Default Kernel Module failed to load: Kubuntu 9.10 and Nvidia X86_64 190.42 driver

Is anyone successfully using the latest Nvidia driver on Ubuntu 9.10 (Karmic)?

I just upgraded to Kubuntu 9.10 and got it running, then I downloaded the latest X86_64 Linux driver -- 190.42 -- from the Nvidia web site and ran the install. No problem. (I had been using an older release of the driver on the previous release of Ubuntu.) I made sure to follow the instructions in this forum for installing on Ubuntu.

But when I started up kdm, I get a dialog with the following error messages:

(EE) NVIDIA: Failed to load the NVIDIA kernel module. Please check your
(EE) NVIDIA: system's kernel log for additional error messages.
(EE) Failed to load module "nividia" (module-specific error,0)
(EE) No devices detected

I looked in /var/log/syslog, /var/log/messages, /var/log/kern.log, /var/log/kdm.log, /var/log/Xorg.0.log, and /var/log/Xorg.failsafe.log but cannot find any messages any "additional error messages" (configuration messages, sire, but no error messages beyond what I've already listed.)

However, there are some suspicious messages from modprobe in kdm.log:

modprobe: invalid option -- 'Q'

followed by a modprobe Usage statement

and then this:

FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia

Oh, after reading up on using the NVidia driver on the release of X.org on this release of Ubuntu, I did modify /etc/kde4/kdm/kdmrc, changing ServerCmd to include the flag "-ignoreABI".

I suppose if I knew where the modprobe command line was coming from I could remove the "-Q" from it, but I don't know where to look. Would it work? I don't know.

The free driver doesn't work for me as I have two Nvidia 2-head cards (OEM with HP System) for a 4-head setup using xinerama. (This setup was working fine with the previous releases.)
mbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-09, 10:45 PM   #2
ledoc

Default Re: Kernel Module failed to load: Kubuntu 9.10 and Nvidia X86_64 190.42 driver

Aren't there pre-compiled, ready-to-use packages in *buntu repositories??
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 11:39 AM   #3
mbarnes

Default Re: Kernel Module failed to load: Kubuntu 9.10 and Nvidia X86_64 190.42 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
Aren't there pre-compiled, ready-to-use packages in *buntu repositories??
Yes, there are. But they don't work in a multi-card, multi-head setup.

Not only that, but when I use the supplied "nv" driver, the display is very fuzzy and I cannot change the resolution. And when I used the "vesa" driver things are a whole lot worse.
Old 11-19-09, 03:53 PM   #4
dk75

Code:
uname -rm
2.6.31-14-generic x86_64

lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
Description:	Ubuntu 9.10
Release:	9.10
Codename:	karmic

nvidia-settings -q NVIDIADriverVersion

Attribute 'NvidiaDriverVersion' (kitsunes-zotac:0.0): 190.42
  • Xorg/XServer 7.6+12/1.11.4
  • GNOME 3.2.2
dk75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 05:42 PM   #5
mbarnes

$ uname -rm
2.6.31-14-generic x86_64

$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 9.10
Release: 9.10
Codename: karmic

$ nvidia-settings -q NVIDIADriverVersion
Xlib: extension "RANDR" missing on display ":0.0".

(but then, I am not using the NVidia Driver because of the errors)
Old 11-19-09, 06:08 PM   #6
ledoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarnes View Post
Yes, there are. But they don't work in a multi-card, multi-head setup.

Not only that, but when I use the supplied "nv" driver, the display is very fuzzy and I cannot change the resolution. And when I used the "vesa" driver things are a whole lot worse.

Duh! Of course I meant the binary driver!
There must be some ppa repository that has those. Maybe here:
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/install-nv...epidhardy.html
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-09, 07:31 PM   #7
InternalKernel

I've been using the Nvidia 190.42 driver with 9.10 - two 9800GTs and 3 displays without any sort of problem... I'd say the only real difference is that I'm running Gnome, but that shouldn't interfere with the loading of the module.

Stupid question #1: Did you make sure that all other Nvidia drivers are un-installed?

Stupid (or not so Stupid) Question #2: Have you tried dropping to a shell after login, killing X. Then manually loading the module:
Code:
modprobe -i nvidia
and see what the output is?

That may help to identify some more errors. Also, before that make sure there aren't any random modules loaded that would interfere, so lsmod and check the output. Unload anything that looks suspicious.

Also, check /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-framebuffer and blacklist - something may be causing a problem.
InternalKernel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-09, 12:42 PM   #8
mbarnes

Stopping kdm, running the "modprobe -i nvidia" command as suggested, re-enabling the nvidia driver in xorg.conf, and restarting kdm seems to have worked. Thanks so much.

My suspicion is that this is the problem:

> However, there are some suspicious messages from modprobe
> in kdm.log:
>
> modprobe: invalid option -- 'Q'
>
> followed by a modprobe Usage statement
>
> and then this:
>
> FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia

Now, all I need to do is figure out where the errant modprobe command line is run, fix it, and perhaps the problem is permanently solved. (any ideas?) Is grep my friend here?

And, of course, I am left wondering... how did this happen? How did the invalid modprobe command-line option get there in the first place?

I have found other examples of the -Q flag in configuration files. I see that -Q used to be a valid command-line option, but is no more. The problem occurred probably because I did an upgrade and not a fresh install, and the upgrade did not take this into account.

Update:

Haven't been able to find the culprit. Any ideas?

Old 11-25-09, 05:09 PM   #9
mbarnes

Finally found the answer here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/ka...80/+bug/467490

The upgrade package left some stuff around that is now obsolete and no longer works. I upgraded directly 8.04 -> 9.10, skipping the intermediate releases (won't do that again. Why didn't adept notifier tell me that?)

Do NOT simply delete /sbin/lrm-video as the page above suggests, however. It doesn't work.