Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-09, 08:37 PM   #1
hdas

Question Various xorg display drivers and CUDA?

I just dropped by to ask a quick question on which I didn't want to spend too much time googling around or reading docs.

I happen to use CUDA quite a bit (work-related and such) on my nvidia cards (9800GT on desktop, 9800M GS on notebook). The question is that can I use a different xorg driver than "nvidia" to drive my display (something like "vesa", "nv" or "nouveau") and yet load up the nvidia.ko kernel module and happily use CUDA too? I do know that CUDA does work (and works better) without X running. While I can easily test out "vesa" or "nv" sometime, my question is mainly about "nouveau".

Also, to clarify, the drivers from nvidia are awesome and feature-wise complete to my liking . Just that I got an itch to know more about nouveau and possibly try it. The pros I think would be possibly a lighter and more basic driver and tightly integrated to kernel (kms cough cough) and xorg, and possibly better multi-display management. Currently, while the nvidia-settings app is good for managing twinview, I am a bit vexed with this one large display resolution and things getting centered and/or stretched, rather than two connected desktops with different resolutions. (Yes I can do xorg.conf, but doing things often on notebook is tedious.) Besides, if I can get more resources for CUDA, it would be awesome. But the big cons I can see with nouveau is power-management (does it work to some extent? acpi?) and video acceleration (I use it often and love it) and overall desktop experience (I hate graphical glitches).
hdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-09, 03:51 AM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Various xorg display drivers and CUDA?

No, that would require two different drivers driving the same hardware, and they'd step on each other's toes.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 02:27 AM   #3
hdas

Thanks for the quick answer. I could almost see that coming, but I am a bit surprised that even "vesa" wouldn't do. It is stupid to ask this, but does "vesa" even use any of the shader cores ?
hdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 03:03 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

No it doesn't, and while there's a very slight chance it would work, it's definitely completely unsupported and I wouldn't recommend it.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote