Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-27-09, 01:32 PM   #1
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Am I getting the performance I should be getting?

It seems lately like my GTX 275 is not performing as well as it should.

All of these are at 1080p resolution:

Assassin's Creed maxed, 4xAA - Dips to the 20s.
Far Cry 2 maxed, ultra settings, 4xAA - Dips to the high 20s
Borderlands - Anything with dynamic shadows results in massive framerate drops, forced 4xAA means dips to the 20s.
Fallout 3, max settings 4xAA - Anywhere from 20-80fps depending one where I am.

Does this all sound right? I was talking to someone the other day about the need for a new graphics card soon and they told me I was insane and that my card should max everything. I told him about the above and he told me my card must be malfunctioning?

So, anyone with a similar card weigh in on those games please. Thanks.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 02:26 PM   #2
hokeyplyr48
hooah

Send a message via AIM to hokeyplyr48
Default Re: Am I getting the performance I should be getting?

that does seem low. I get better framerates on my 260 at 2560x1600. Drivers?
CPU:Q6600 @ 3.5 w/ Ultra 120 extreme|| RAM: 4x2GB G. Skill || Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro || VideoCard: eVGA 260GTX & 7200GS for triple monitoring || Sound Card: Creative X-FI xtremegamer || Hard Drive: 2 x 150GB Raptor in RAID 0 (OS and Program Files) | 1 x 150GB Raptor (User Drive) | 1 x WD 2TB HD SATA II | 1 x 1TB Seagate | 1 x WD 500 GB HD SATA II | 1 x Seagate 400 GB HD SATA II | 1 x WD 160 GB HD IDE (slow, only for storage) || Monitor: Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD, Acer 22" widescreen, & Gateway 17" || Case: Antec 900 || PSU: 1 KW athenatech or force or something PSU || Keyboard: Logitech G15 || Mouse: Logitech MX 518 || OS: Windows 7 Build 7201 x64

Secondary Rig: FX-60, 7900GTX, 2 x 1BG OCZ Platinum, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec 180, XP x32
hokeyplyr48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 02:37 PM   #3
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Latest ones, they seem good overall. I have used the 186s and 191s recently with the same performance.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 11-27-09, 02:54 PM   #4
syndicot
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Latest ones, they seem good overall. I have used the 186s and 191s recently with the same performance.
Something is off for sure. My GTX 275 handles FC2 at 1920X1200 All ultra with 4XAA really well. I average in the 50's and the low's are around 45fps.

Then again my CPU and GPU are both overclocked but it still should not make as much of a difference as what you are talking about.
syndicot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-09, 02:57 PM   #5
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Well Far Cry 2 averages in the benchmark at 46... it just drops to the high 20s when looking certain directions or something.

Assassin's Creed is 60fps a lot of the time, but when in a massive city with tons of people around it drops to 20s.

I can get 60fps in all these games, I just can't keep it.

Old 11-27-09, 03:57 PM   #6
syndicot
*BANNED*

Quote:
it just drops to the high 20s when looking certain directions or something.
That is definetely not right.

Quote:
Assassin's Creed is 60fps a lot of the time, but when in a massive city with tons of people around it drops to 20s.
That doesnt sound right either, I had better performance than that with my old 192core GTX 260.

Is your CPU overclocked any at all? I have the same cpu as you except mine is running at 4ghz.
Old 11-27-09, 04:11 PM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

No, I never overclock anything.

Is there a test or something I can run to see if my card is performing properly?

Old 11-27-09, 04:33 PM   #8
hokeyplyr48
hooah

Send a message via AIM to hokeyplyr48

What are the temps of the card? Maybe it's overheating? Is there any stuttering?
CPU:Q6600 @ 3.5 w/ Ultra 120 extreme|| RAM: 4x2GB G. Skill || Motherboard: ABIT IP35 Pro || VideoCard: eVGA 260GTX & 7200GS for triple monitoring || Sound Card: Creative X-FI xtremegamer || Hard Drive: 2 x 150GB Raptor in RAID 0 (OS and Program Files) | 1 x 150GB Raptor (User Drive) | 1 x WD 2TB HD SATA II | 1 x 1TB Seagate | 1 x WD 500 GB HD SATA II | 1 x Seagate 400 GB HD SATA II | 1 x WD 160 GB HD IDE (slow, only for storage) || Monitor: Dell 30" 3007WFP LCD, Acer 22" widescreen, & Gateway 17" || Case: Antec 900 || PSU: 1 KW athenatech or force or something PSU || Keyboard: Logitech G15 || Mouse: Logitech MX 518 || OS: Windows 7 Build 7201 x64

Secondary Rig: FX-60, 7900GTX, 2 x 1BG OCZ Platinum, A8N32-SLI Deluxe, Antec 180, XP x32
hokeyplyr48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-27-09, 04:53 PM   #9
syndicot
*BANNED*

Quote:
No, I never overclock anything.

Is there a test or something I can run to see if my card is performing properly?
Well, just from the way your games are running we know something is off. You might wanna try overclocking that CPU, from stock to overclocked it made a good bit of difference in the minimum FPS department with my GTX 275.
Old 11-27-09, 06:18 PM   #10
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48 View Post
What are the temps of the card? Maybe it's overheating? Is there any stuttering?
Idle in Windows my GPU temp is about 40 celsius. I can load a game later and test it again.

I am wary of overclocking anything because I use stock cooling.

I downloaded CPUz and GPUz, so any other information off there you need let me know.

Old 11-28-09, 03:32 PM   #11
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

I think I was just suffering from a recent reformat to install Win7 and not optimizing my machine afterward. Using my trusty www.tweakguides.com I cut down my services, running programs and optimized my memory and such, then defragged, and it made a world of difference.

Assassin's Creed still dips to the high 20s when a massive number of people are on screen though, but I have been told elsewhere this is normal no matter what with current processors. The overclock would probably help there, I will look into it.

Thanks all.

Old 11-28-09, 04:50 PM   #12
syndicot
*BANNED*

Quote:
Assassin's Creed still dips to the high 20s when a massive number of people are on screen though, but I have been told elsewhere this is normal no matter what with current processors. The overclock would probably help there, I will look into it.

Thanks all.
Overclocking the CPU will help greatly. Lowest dips I get in heavily crowded areas right now are mid 40's. Everywhere else is 60fps.