Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-09, 08:12 PM   #1
rimas

Default Apple 24" LED Cinema Display doesn't work with GT 120 in a Mac Pro under Linux

Greetings,

I have a newish Nehalem based 8-core Mac Pro and I can't get the nvidia driver to work properly with a 24" Apple LED Cinema display connected using the mini displayport. The monitor works fine under MacOS, as does hooking up another monitor using the DVI port instead of the Displayport (under Linux). I have tried a variety of different combinations of Linux kernel versions and Nvidia drivers and all of them do the same thing. The Xorg.log file indicates that the monitor is detected correctly and the correct resolution is chosen but the display is just a bunch of garbage (multicolored noisy lines/patterns/etc). I've tried switching resolutions but nothing seems to make a difference. I am currently using Debian with a 2.6.30.4 kernel and the 185.18.31 driver. I am attaching a copy of the nvidia bug report log as well as a photo of the screen. The only strangeness I noticed in the log files was that in the Xorg.log file the GT 120 is reported as having 1048576kb of memory when in fact the card only has 512 megs. However it seems to work fine at 1600x1200 with a DVI monitor.

The console display is also screwy - it kind of works but sometimes the screen fills up with buffered stuff and you can't see what you're typing. Not really a problem for me but maybe its a symptom of a bigger problem. The screwy console behavior happens with both the LED Cinema Display using the Displayport and a Samsung display connected via DVI.

Any help is greatly appreciated ! The Mac Pro is the only machine I have with a Displayport so swapping in another monitor to run Linux would be pretty lame.

-Rimas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	monitor.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	37873  
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (52.4 KB, 152 views)
rimas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-09, 04:43 AM   #2
jcornwall

Default Re: Apple 24" LED Cinema Display doesn't work with GT 120 in a Mac Pro under Linux

I sort of fixed the console issue on my Mac Pro by adding 'vga=795' to the kernel options in /boot/grub/menu.lst. A lower resolution (792?) might be more useful.

Can't help with your Apple display issue, though. I've got mine hooked up to Samsung LCD and it works fine.
jcornwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-09, 12:06 AM   #3
kschendel

Default Re: Apple 24" LED Cinema Display doesn't work with GT 120 in a Mac Pro under Linux

The 190.32 beta driver refuses to attempt 1920x1200 because "Mode exceeds available DisplayPort bandwidth." (You can see this if you set option "ModeDebug" "on".) If you set option "ModeValidation" "NoDisplayPortBandwidthCheck" to kill the bandwidth check, the squigglies return. I got an EDID readout from a Mac OS utility, and it matches what Xorg.0.log says that the linux driver is attempting to do. (So no, doing clever ModeLine tricks doesn't help.)

I still have a few things to try, but at the moment it appears that the linux driver is just a raging POS. Obviously the hardware can do the job, because the Mac and Winders drivers work just fine. Shame on you nVidia!
kschendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-09, 01:57 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Sorry about the slow response. This should be fixed in the first 195.* driver release.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-09, 01:19 PM   #5
kschendel

Glad to hear that there is hope -- I just tried 190.42 (doesn't work), and came over here to piss and moan before I went off and bought an ATI card. If 195.x will happen in a reasonably timely manner, though, I'll hang on to my $380 for a bit longer.
Old 11-30-09, 07:41 AM   #6
kschendel

Good news: the 195.22 beta driver does indeed fix this. I can finally switch desktops without watching the screen get painted pixel by pixel. I haven't pushed the driver yet to see if anything is broken, but the basic X functions seem to work fine.
Old 11-30-09, 08:04 AM   #7
ViN86

With respect to the OP, did you see this?

Quote:
ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid."
echo "include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing."
echo "Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it."
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote