Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-09, 11:42 PM   #25
Redeemed

Default Re: Should Nvidia add Eyefinity to their Fermi boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
I wish I could comment but NDA will now allow it. Let's just say what is around corner will put Nvidia ahead . . . and it will go beyond what ANYONE here has said.
DB... I have no doubt that what nVidia has up their sleeve will be *very* impressive. nVidia's king and ruler is very competitive I'm certain they have not been sitting by idly.

However, they have been absent in the market for a *very* long time.

Their GPU is considerably larger than ATi's, it's yeilds are considerably lower, it consumes more power and thusly produces more heat (all this going off of what is currently available).

If the "rumored" specs are inaccurate then that leaves the door wide open for possibilities. But if there's truth to these specs, then nVidia's card could offer the cure to cancer- but if it can't be priced competitively against what AMD has to offer it wont sell in competitive quantities.

Even if a GTX380 is 50% faster than a 5870- that's roughly the performance of a single 5970. ATi still has their refresh to put out which could easily compete with those performance levels via a lower price.

You cannot look at the raw performance of the card and negate it's price. Not everybody is as wealthy or has as easy access to this hardware as you do. If the GTX380 is 50% faster than the 5870, and the 5890 is only 25% behind the GTX380 in cost while being $100+ less expensive- people will opt for the 5970.

Furthermore, even if nVidia sold these chips $1 above costs... by the time ATi has their next generation out later this year nVidia just might have cought up to what they lost.

Furthermore, how can you be so confident in nVidia's offering... do you have access to what AMD is offering next? Are you under NDA for both nVidia and AMD? I mean, in order for you to be so confident you'd *have* to know what each company has planned for the coming months.

I mean, other wise, if you're merely operating off of assumption then wouldn't you find that to be a bit of a gamble and rather ignorant? I mean, the 5870 is substantially faster than the 4870. The 4890 was a considerable improvement over the 4870 considering what it was (a refresh)- what's to say AMD can't do one even better with the 5890?

There's far too many variables IMO. If all you know of is what nVidia has in store without knowing what AMD has in store, it seems to me you're pre-maturely jumping to conclusions.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 12:36 AM   #26
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
I wish I could comment but NDA will now allow it. Let's just say what is around corner will put Nvidia ahead . . . and it will go beyond what ANYONE here has said.
Nice
Old 12-16-09, 12:57 AM   #27
Viral
Registered User of Women

Sorry but people under NDA saying "it's gonna be good, yo!" doesn't tell me anything.

Nvidia seem to be very big on this lately, having lot of people who get benefits from nv running around promoting them all over the internet. Maybe it works on some people, but I just see it as "paid" advertisement and ignore it. Then there's that focus group ****... that does nothing but give me a good reason to dislike nvidia.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 01:34 AM   #28
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Sorry but people under NDA saying "it's gonna be good, yo!" doesn't tell me anything.

Nvidia seem to be very big on this lately, having lot of people who get benefits from nv running around promoting them all over the internet. Maybe it works on some people, but I just see it as "paid" advertisement and ignore it. Then there's that focus group ****... that does nothing but give me a good reason to dislike nvidia.
I fully agree with you. I don't know what DarthBeavis is trying to prove, but I see it just like you, paid advertisement. The discussion here is should nVIDIA add EyeFinity to their boards and comments on that. Your comment of "it's much GREATER blah blah blah" is a bunch of nonsense as far as I'm concerned.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 02:59 AM   #29
gstanford

What do you think performs the SLI Mosaic function if not the graphics cards inside the Quadroplex box? An Irish leprechaun?

Mind you I wouldn't expect any less than the replies MustangSVT (with a 4890 in his primary machine) has given. Da Nile isn't just a river in Egypt....

Not to mention the Quadroplex probably costs less than three price gouged ATi cards plus 6 display port monitors (notice the nvidia solution uses DVI). You can connect two extra monitors too.

Trust nvidia to do a job properly and ATi to half-arse it.

Primary rig:
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Cooler: Cooler MAster Hyper 212+
Motherboard Asrock z68 Extreme 4
Memory: 8gb Corsair DDR-3 1333
Video: 2x Galaxy GTX 670 reference 2gb
PhysX: Gainward GTX 460 SE 1gb
Video Capture: Compro E-700 DVB-T PCI-e
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
Monitor: Samsung 305T 30"
Case: Coolermaster stacker 830
Hard drives: 5x 500gb seagate SATA (non raid)
Burner: Samsung SH-S18L
OS: Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
MS Sidewinder Joystick
Logitech G25 wheel
Logitech 5.1 speaker system
gstanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 03:46 AM   #30
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
anyway, you have been a jerk, so I am out of here this thread. I will check back in a couple months to point out what I was talking about. Good job driving away someone closer to the inside.
Wow, ok. I'm starting to see where dan was coming from

Quote:
Again, who here has had Intel, AMD/ATI, and Nvidia ALL as sponsors of builds? I tend to keep a bit of a broader perspective. Recently that perspective has been broadened beyond the gaming market.
I wasn't implying you where an nv fanboy, just that nv seems to encourage this kind of useless promotion by making sure they show a bunch of people their new products/features in a controlled environment. There was no talk on the net from people under NDA of RV870 smashing the competition and having awesome features!!! It just came out, and it delivered.

That said NV have recently had far more "features" than ATI.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Old 12-16-09, 06:00 AM   #31
betterdan

Beavis already at it again...
Old 12-16-09, 06:34 AM   #32
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
your lack of reading comprehension is amazing. Show me where I said anything about smashing the competition or having MORE features than ATI? Quotes please or STFU. When ATI was coming out with the 38 series I was also under NDA with them but still told as much as I was allowed to those on forums although they were a little tighter with things.

I will not bad mouth AMD/ATI as I like their products and am still on a friendly basis with several of their marketing people. I will talk about Nvidia products in relation to Nvidia products - other people can draw cross company comparisons. All you will from me is describing how the next generation products improves upon its predecessor. Let's see if you can twist that.
Ok mr. reading comprehension nazi, where did I write that you said anything along those lines? Here's a hint, I didn't. I made an example with a bit of exaggeration that was more based on fanboys and focus group members. I've got no beef with you man, I know you're not one of the rabid fanboy focus group types, I just hate the way nv does this viral marketing through people. This doesn't mean that I have a problem with you or what you post, you're stuff is pretty fair and on the level, but in general I still have a problem with hype posts just to get peoples hopes up about a delayed product.

If you feel like we're ganging up on you and hurting your feelings, then you're too damn sensitive. Not my fault.

Old 12-16-09, 07:06 AM   #33
gstanford

Quote:
I know you're not one of the rabid fanboy focus group types, I just hate the way nv does this viral marketing through people. This doesn't mean that I have a problem with you or what you post, you're stuff is pretty fair and on the level, but in general I still have a problem with hype posts just to get peoples hopes up about a delayed product.
ATi does almost exactly the same thing, except they don't own up to it. Ever heard of "High Road"? Places like Anandtech & B3D are full of their viral marketers and posters.

Primary rig:
CPU: Intel i7 2600K
Cooler: Cooler MAster Hyper 212+
Motherboard Asrock z68 Extreme 4
Memory: 8gb Corsair DDR-3 1333
Video: 2x Galaxy GTX 670 reference 2gb
PhysX: Gainward GTX 460 SE 1gb
Video Capture: Compro E-700 DVB-T PCI-e
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1200W
Monitor: Samsung 305T 30"
Case: Coolermaster stacker 830
Hard drives: 5x 500gb seagate SATA (non raid)
Burner: Samsung SH-S18L
OS: Vista Ultimate 64 bit and Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
MS Sidewinder Joystick
Logitech G25 wheel
Logitech 5.1 speaker system
gstanford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-09, 03:04 PM   #34
XDanger
Whaaat?

I'm not having a go at all but I dislike that mixed metaphor.

A grain of truth.

Take it with a pinch of salt.

Not being a nazi ,It just irks me. mmk
Old 12-16-09, 03:20 PM   #35
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post

I wasn't implying you where an nv fanboy, just that nv seems to encourage this kind of useless promotion by making sure they show a bunch of people their new products/features in a controlled environment. There was no talk on the net from people under NDA of RV870 smashing the competition and having awesome features!!! It just came out, and it delivered.

That said NV have recently had far more "features" than ATI.
really wrong person to pick that type of fight with, DB builds all kings of rings, works with all companies.
Old 12-16-09, 03:51 PM   #36
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstanford View Post
What do you think performs the SLI Mosaic function if not the graphics cards inside the Quadroplex box? An Irish leprechaun?

Mind you I wouldn't expect any less than the replies MustangSVT (with a 4890 in his primary machine) has given. Da Nile isn't just a river in Egypt....

Not to mention the Quadroplex probably costs less than three price gouged ATi cards plus 6 display port monitors (notice the nvidia solution uses DVI). You can connect two extra monitors too.

Trust nvidia to do a job properly and ATi to half-arse it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gstanford View Post
ATi does almost exactly the same thing, except they don't own up to it. Ever heard of "High Road"? Places like Anandtech & B3D are full of their viral marketers and posters.
@gstansford...

When has nVidia *ever* marketed multi-monitor gaming? And SLi? 3DFx was first. nVidia did *not* invent SLi... they simply improved upon it. You could say nVidia copied 3DFx with SLi. That would be an accurate statement.

Secondly, when has nVidia recenty held the price/performance crown? They've gone a whole generation now having the most power-hungry card. If it weren't for their shrink to 55nm there would not have been a GTX295.

ATi did it again with the price/performance ratio on their 5800 series. Yet with what we have to go off of the GTX300 series will be another power-hungry monster.

What do both you and DB have to say to my prior post... here, I'll quote it for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
DB... I have no doubt that what nVidia has up their sleeve will be *very* impressive. nVidia's king and ruler is very competitive I'm certain they have not been sitting by idly.

However, they have been absent in the market for a *very* long time.

Their GPU is considerably larger than ATi's, it's yeilds are considerably lower, it consumes more power and thusly produces more heat (all this going off of what is currently available).

If the "rumored" specs are inaccurate then that leaves the door wide open for possibilities. But if there's truth to these specs, then nVidia's card could offer the cure to cancer- but if it can't be priced competitively against what AMD has to offer it wont sell in competitive quantities.

Even if a GTX380 is 50% faster than a 5870- that's roughly the performance of a single 5970. ATi still has their refresh to put out which could easily compete with those performance levels via a lower price.

You cannot look at the raw performance of the card and negate it's price. Not everybody is as wealthy or has as easy access to this hardware as you do. If the GTX380 is 50% faster than the 5870, and the 5890 is only 25% behind the GTX380 in cost while being $100+ less expensive- people will opt for the 5970.

Furthermore, even if nVidia sold these chips $1 above costs... by the time ATi has their next generation out later this year nVidia just might have cought up to what they lost.

Furthermore, how can you be so confident in nVidia's offering... do you have access to what AMD is offering next? Are you under NDA for both nVidia and AMD? I mean, in order for you to be so confident you'd *have* to know what each company has planned for the coming months.

I mean, other wise, if you're merely operating off of assumption then wouldn't you find that to be a bit of a gamble and rather ignorant? I mean, the 5870 is substantially faster than the 4870. The 4890 was a considerable improvement over the 4870 considering what it was (a refresh)- what's to say AMD can't do one even better with the 5890?

There's far too many variables IMO. If all you know of is what nVidia has in store without knowing what AMD has in store, it seems to me you're pre-maturely jumping to conclusions.
Any comments?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote