Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 200 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-20-09, 04:37 PM   #61
Xion X2

Default Re: Should Nvidia add Eyefinity to their Fermi boards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
The software solution is freeware and very flexible.
TH2G is an external solution for only $300: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-011-_-Product
"Only" 300$

Neat device, but it looks like it only supports up to 1680x.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 04:59 PM   #62
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis View Post
Cool, they are announcing more of what I saw:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_f...us_nvidia.html
Think of the GPU as more than just a GPU That is the key to Nvidia's differentiation which will impact the gaming market and other markets. Look at their Telsa product. They already have the expertise. Then look up their other technologies like CUDA and the power of the Quadro (like you guys have already discussed). What functionality and features would YOU actually take advantage of day-to-day? Six monitors? I doubt it. what I have seen is more a process of connecting the dots.

One thing to watch is the 3d fight since AMD has announced they are entering into it. I hope it does not turn into a Blue Ray vs HD DVD war.
ATI has the same flash capability. Guys are running it now on the 5xxx series.

The GPU computing obviously has potential, but again, I look at that as more for workstation use. How does/will it benefit gaming in the future?

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-21-09, 12:15 AM   #63
Xion X2

Quote:
Physx is one way it benefits gaming now. I can imagine it will only get better. I am sure most of us use our computers for most than just gaming so the ability to allow the GPU to carry some of the processing load means you can handle way more threads at one time (developers will have to do the work to make this happen of course). Think about video encoding or 3d model rendering (or designing such as in Solidworks or even Google Sketchup). I do these things on my 'gaming' rig. I hope AMD pushes Nvidia in all areas so Nvidia keeps up R & D and vise versa. As has been stated over and over: We all benefit from their competition.
Now.. 3D Modeling is something that does get my attention. I have a renderbox for that, though. I don't do that kind of stuff on my gaming rig, but I can see that some might. I tend to split my PCs up between workstation/gaming because my gaming rigs are usually so hardcore (watercooled, OC'd, and dual grafx.) Even so, like you said, software must be written for it, and I've seen almost nothing written for GPU computing that's of any use for your average consumer thus far except for Photoshop. And that already flies on my i7 as is.

PhysX? Meh. It has such a small library of titles that actually use it, and those that do usually only do in very small ways. As long as it's vendor-specific, it'll never catch on with the large market of developers. Especially if ATI remains as competitive in the graphics industry as they have been lately.

Just for the record - I obviously agree that competition is a good thing. It isn't an ATI/Nvidia thing with me as I've owned both vendors. I just don't see what all the hype with Fermi is about thus far and see it more as a damage control tactic for Nvidia since they're late to the game this round.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-21-09, 12:18 AM   #64
Redeemed

Yup. PhysX needs to be open for all to use. Maybe merge Havok with PhysX? Why not? Havok will already work on both ATi and nVidia cards- PhysX should be able to as well. Would be perfect.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-09, 01:05 AM   #65
Xion X2

Quote:
The feeling I get from the folks I have spoken to is that they (Nvidia) do not want to use PhysX for the express purpose of beating another company such as AMD but instead they really think it will be beneficial to games and gamers.
I'm sure that's the case to an extent, but don't think for one second that they're about to throw competition out the window and open it up fully for ATI for them both to share for the benefit of gamers everywhere.

They want to keep it proprietary; they want to keep it in their camp, because, albeit few, it does sway some into going with Nvidia cards over ATI.

Quote:
Who knows what will happen. I am all for standards because we as consumers benefit from that as well. Heck, I wish motherboard vendors would have standard hole placement for ALL areas where you can install water-blocks so you could buy one set (CPU, NB/SB, etc) and use those for several years. Same for GPUS.
Absolutely agree with all of that.

Quote:
Xion X2, I game, do modeling workups, and run a vet clinic from one box so I need it to do it all. I do have HTPCS around the house for movies but that is pretty much the only thing I do on other rigs. I want one rig to rule them all.
"One rig to rule them all..."

Yeah, so you would be in the other camp. I think there are many also like myself, however, who have two boxes and don't do everything on one rig. I like to stay somewhat energy efficient and not have dual grafx, water pumps, and 4.5GHz CPUs all running unless they need to be. Saves the wear and tear on parts, too. Just my $.02.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-21-09, 01:12 AM   #66
Xion X2

Quote:
Have you seen my clinic server? Skimpy GPU (itty bitty ATI card) but other than that it is a hella beast. SKulltrail with dual QX9775s even liquid-cooled ram. H-A-R-D-C-O-R-E
It runs Windows Server 2008 . . .pretty fast. Damn, no Nvidia in it. I better delete all evidence of it

Nice box--yeah, I saw you build it some time back.

Tell me, though, what your workbox is doing with an ATi card in it with all that GPU computing power out there in Nvidia-land that awaits you? Is it not in the plans to have one vet to rule them all?

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-21-09, 01:42 AM   #67
Xion X2

Quote:
Also, GPU computing is in its infancy.
Agreed, which is why I don't give it much credence when it comes to discussing the "advantages" of Fermi over 5970.

Show me the software, then I'll buy the hardware. Haven't had as much luck w/ the reversed tactic.

On a side note, you're a lucky dude to be getting all that stuff for free. Hope I can be that fortunate some day. For now, I'll just hug my free rad grills.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 12-21-09, 11:07 AM   #68
Xion X2

Quote:
Nothing is free. The moment I fail to produce all that sponsored stuff stops flowing.
Yeah, but you acquire it by doing something that you enjoy/love. To me, that's as close to free as anything gets in this world.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz

Old 01-06-10, 11:38 PM   #69
Redeemed

Quote:
Better late than never I guess.

And still no Fermi...
Old 01-06-10, 11:59 PM   #70
Redeemed

Quote:
you missed the part about them playing leap frog? I think they will announce the Fermi date hopefully tomorrow (not sure on this though - just a guess). I am a bit excited they said GT200s would be able to do the multi mon 3d so I can practice with it until I get a newer GPU than my two 295s .
Honestly- I only skimmed the article so I might have missed that.

However, Fermi still isn't available for purchase- and to date nVidia has *nothing* to compete with the HD5970. Running 3 displays can be taxing for a top-end HD5800 setup, think a setup based on the GTX200s could do any better?

No. Which is my point. They need less lip service and more product- namely Fermi. And they need it... what- almost 4 months ago now?
Old 01-07-10, 12:45 AM   #71
Redeemed

Quote:
I have Quad SLI 295s. IF they set up the drivers right it could do VERY well. I have a little knowledge you probably don't have about SLI and 3d Stereo Quad SLI 295s do not do AFR and will not perform in true quad SLI with 3d stereo (ChrisRay first pointed that out to me). Now if you think about it, that being the case, they COULD make the second 295 actually do some work which would mean they probably could handle the load. Again, it ALL depends upon the drivers. I have NO idea what state they are in bud.

I agree I wish FERMI was out right now but that is just how this market works. I have dealt with it with ATI as well when I did stuff for them. The same with Intel. That is just how it goes.
Unless you can put up hard numbers from *various* reputable sources showing that a single GTX295 can easily power 3x 2560x1600 displays plus render the frames in 3D, at max in-game settings I'm gonna' have to doubt you here bud. A dingle 5870 trades blows with the GTX295. So it's natural to compare two 5870s in CrossFire to dual GTX295s- nVidia's current fastes possible configuration.

However, unlike with nVidia, dual 5870s is not AMD's fastest configuration- you can run three 5870s if you'd like or for peak performance, two 5970s. To such a setup nVidia *currently* has no answer. I'm quite confident that three 5870s or two 5970s could offer greater performance rendering 3x 2560x1600 in 3D than dual GTX295s.

Dual, or triple Fermis- that's anybody's guess. Even you, with the NDA information- do not know for certain how well Fermi will perform in it's Final version- or against AMD's refresh.

This is my point.

Right now all nVidia is doing is lip service. They're trying to make a lot of noise and create a big distraction and diversion to keep people from buying the 5800 series and interested in the Green team. However, we hear of delay after delay for Fermi while stock for the 5800s keeps increasing. Furthermore, by the time Fermi is available for purchase and assuming it is faster than the 5800 series AMD can then drop prices on their lineup much farther than nVidia can without dipping into profits. So if AMD can't win in pure performance, they'll win in price/performance. AMD also has the option to release a refresh to retake the performance crown or close the performance gap enough to warrant selling their Radeon cards for more of a profit.

I guess what I'm saying is with how late nVidia is I do not see how they can win. If Fermi completely crushes the 5800s AMD just drops the prices on the 5800s, puts out a refresh prices slightly higher than the 5800s- and then release the Radeon HD6800s a few months later which is almost guaranteed to crush Fermi in terms of performance.

I know this isn't the end of nVidia- never said it was. Just tired of all the talk with no action to back it up.
Old 01-07-10, 02:40 AM   #72
jimmyjames123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Unless you can put up hard numbers from *various* reputable sources showing that a single GTX295 can easily power 3x 2560x1600 displays plus render the frames in 3D, at max in-game settings I'm gonna' have to doubt you here bud.

If Fermi completely crushes the 5800s AMD just drops the prices on the 5800s, puts out a refresh prices slightly higher than the 5800s- and then release the Radeon HD6800s a few months later which is almost guaranteed to crush Fermi in terms of performance.
What a hypocrite you are. First you ask for hard numbers from DarthBeavis, and then you say that HD 6800's will be released "a few months later" [than Fermi], and is "almost guaranteed to crush Fermi in terms of performance"? How in the hell do you know that? You don't seem to have even the slightest clue about Fermi (nor future AMD and NVIDIA products).
jimmyjames123 is offline   Reply With Quote