Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-01-03, 03:16 AM   #1
Kiamu

Question nforce2 AGPgart and linux

hi,

has anyone heard anything if nvidia will come up with a kernel module or support (open specs) for the linux apggart?

it is no fun having a fast card (ati) running as standard vga-card in X

greets

Kiamu

Last edited by Kiamu; 04-01-03 at 03:54 AM.
Kiamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-03, 02:14 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

We're aware of this, and hope to have a solution soon.

--andy
Old 04-02-03, 03:56 PM   #3
Gepper

Yes i was about to ask the same. Would it really be that difficult to do, since the code is already there (in your gfx drivers, no?)?
Or perhaps we will never see an AGP module since that allow NForce1/2 owners to use other cards then NVidia's...
Gepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-03, 04:12 PM   #4
suexec

What would this solution be? 1. Providing specs to the linux agpgart maintainer. 2. Ripping the nvagp from the nVidia video drivers and making it work with non-nVidia cards. 3. Sell my nForce2 motherboard.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy Mecham

--andy
suexec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-03, 04:16 AM   #5
derm123

Angry

Quote:

--andy
I'm in the market for a new motherboard, my abit KT7 is on its last legs. The only thing stopping me from getting a nforce2 board is this AGPGART problem.

I've got a ATI 7500 graphics card and I see no reason to upgrade. I will not buy a board with compatability issues !
derm123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-03, 05:18 AM   #6
mason

Quote:

--andy
i'm in the same boat as the others here. My old motherboard is not going to recognize any of the new K7's i think, plus it's the slow version of the KT266 chipset. If the AGP, the APIC and the hardware monitoring works, it'd be a completely worthwhile drop-in upgrade for me, and i suspect also for lots of other linux folks.

If the AGPGART works then for one video would work, as in playing DVD's, and that might be more important for people than games. Does the MTRR work?

i use gimp to work on big image files sized around 37meg (highest rez i can get out of a 35mm slide) and the memory bandwidth of the nforce2 chipset would make the manipulations go fast.

m
mason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-03, 06:02 AM   #7
suexec

Mason, to my knowledge the kt266 should support the Athlon XP that use a 266MHz FSB. Heck, even some kt133a support Athlon XP's as the kt133a does also have an effective 266MHz bus.

With my nForce2 board, the APIC doesn't quite work. It works fine with WinXP. I see 2x+ IRQs. With the stock 2.4.21-pre6 kernel, IO-APIC doesn't even get detected. Using the latest 2.4.21-pre6 ACPI patch, I am able to get IO-APIC, however, for IRQs higher than 15, the PCI IRQ routing simply doesn't work. Someone has posted to the acpi-devel list, but there hasn't been a response to it yet. With some of ACPI's core developers working for Intel, I doubt this is high on their priority to fix PCI IRQ routing on a chipset designed for its rival AMD.

gambit:~> cat /proc/mtrr
reg00: base=0x00000000 ( 0MB), size= 512MB: write-back, count=1
reg01: base=0xd0000000 (3328MB), size= 128MB: write-combining, count=1
reg02: base=0xd8000000 (3456MB), size= 64MB: write-combining, count=1

MTRR is detected and looks to work.

The GIMP loads up, but I haven't had it open anything large.

I've not tried watching DVDs on Linux on the nForce2 system. I doubt that it will work since I can't even play MPEGs. It looks like without agpgart, XVideo extension doesn't work properly.

Last edited by suexec; 04-05-03 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-06-03, 12:16 AM   #8
mason

Thanks for the run down on these things, suexec.

Not to beat a dead horse, but i don't understand how it's in nVidia's interest to withhold specs for these things that let their product interface with third party hardware and/or broaden the utility of their product. After all they are implementations of pubicized standards.

The linux kernel developers are a competent bunch and their work wouldn't reflect badly on nVidia hardware, nor would those guys need nVidia driver writers to hold their hand every time there's a problem down the road.

Granted the linux world is small in comparison to that of Windows. Linux and linux guys do tend to be in some influential places tho. The analogy might be to the audience of the original Star Trek series. They were tiny in number compared to general viewership, but after the show was shut down the network realized that these were exactly the people who made public opinion and influenced spending habits.

m
mason is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-03, 12:29 AM   #9
Zeus

Quote:
Originally posted by derm123
I've got a ATI 7500 graphics card and I see no reason to upgrade. I will not buy a board with compatability issues !
But the nf2's onboard gfx is faster than a R7500
Zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-03, 12:35 AM   #10
Idimmu

Heh I registered to ask this exact same question.

In future (i.e. shortly) will the AGPgart be working for non NVidia cards? I'm about to upgrade my system, but not the gfx card (gf2 mx) so this issue wont effect me yet, but I don't want to get a motherboard that locks me to a certain make of gfx?

Also will it be GPL and be able to be compiled into the kernel? As only having the option of installing it as a module would suck seeing as it would be in use all the time!

Otherwise Ill have little choice other to go with the KT400, which is a shame as reviews and friends experiance indicate its not as good

Thanks
Idimmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-03, 05:01 AM   #11
suexec

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeus
But the nf2's onboard gfx is faster than a R7500
But having the freedom to choose gives peace of mind.
Old 04-06-03, 05:14 AM   #12
suexec

No problems mason.

I had done some research before purchasing my nForce2 board (A7N8X Deluxe). I have pretty much most things working except for the agp. AGP is an open standard so I assumed it would be supported by agpgart. Only after purchasing it and playing with it did I realize this was not the case. I googled and realized even nforce1 didn't have support in agpgart. But then, with nforce1, one did not have a choice of not having integrated video.

I've emailed the agpgart maintainer and got a response back. I don't intend to quote him, but what he basically said was that he has tried to contact nVidia for specs, but his emails have been ignored.

After my runins with the nForce2, when some of my co-workers wanted to upgrade their systems, I steered them away from nForce2. As such, they are able to game since they bought KT333 boards instead.

If nVidia decides to continue to do nothing, it just means I plus people I have influence won't be buying nVidia.

People in the minority (especially those who choose to be so) usually are more vocal.