Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-11-09, 10:58 PM   #1
burakvarhan

Default xorg custom modeline validation

Dear all,

I have this machine with Geforce GTX 260M graphics card and Ubuntu 9.10 on which I am doing research. I used gtf tool to create custom modeline as given below and wanted to disable mode validation so that latest nvidia 190.42 driver would select my customized modeline.

I went through xorg specification and tried many combinations of tags and options however each time mode validation seems to be enabled and refuse my settings Xorg.0.log gives me: No valid modes for "1920x1080_70"; removing.

Below is related sections of my xorg.conf file. Could anyone please tell me how to disable modeline validation completely? What options should I use or in which order or at which section should I define them.

Thank you

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Monitor0"
HorizSync 73.0 - 83.0
VertRefresh 65.0 - 75.0
# 1920x1080 @ 70.00 Hz (GTF) hsync: 78.68 kHz; pclk: 205.20 MHz
Modeline "1920x1080_70" 205.20 1920 2056 2264 2608 1080 1081 1084 1124 -HSync +Vsync
Option "IgnoreEDID" "on"
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce GTX 260M"
EndSection

Section "Screen"

Option "TwinView " "off"
Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
Option "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Device0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoVirtualSizeCheck, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoExtendedGpuCapabilitiesCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoWidthAlignmentCheck"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080_70"
EndSubSection
EndSection
burakvarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 06:34 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: xorg custom modeline validation

Please see the "Programming Modes" chapter in the README and the documentation for the ModeValidation override option.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-09, 06:35 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Oh, and please note the section on how to generate verbose mode validation logging, since that will tell you exactly why it's rejecting your mode.
Old 12-14-09, 09:07 PM   #4
burakvarhan

Dear AaronP,

Thank you very much for the answer, I run startx at verbose mode and it appears that the values HorizSync VertRefresh in my xorg.conf file does not match the ones in the edid file. And despite my ignoreEDID flag, it reads in my edid file and runs mode validation against it.

I don't know why it still reads the edid file or performs mode validation even though I indicated NO to both in my xorg.conf file.

I decided to create my custom edid file, but I could not find any tool running on linux, besides the tutorial that I found on the internet which suggests manipulating certain bytes in the hex file seems to be outdated. Is there a tool that you know for creating custom edid file?

Do you think that nvidia not accepting my flags is a bug and I should report it as a bug?

Thanks in adavance.
burakvarhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-09, 09:21 PM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

"IgnoreEDID" is not a valid option anymore. I think you want UseEDID. Also, the option needs to go in the Screen or Device section, not the Monitor section. However, both your ModeValidation line and "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE" should have overriden those checks. What did Xorg.0.log say was the reason it was rejecting the mode when you enabled verbose mode logging?