Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-15-09, 06:35 AM   #1
AntaresDC

Default Different DDR3 DIMM sizes on the same MB?

Hi, I'm looking to update my os from XP SP3 to the new Windows7. Since the XP couldn't use more than 4 gigs of RAM, I didn't bother with more than 3 GB of DDR3 tri-channel dimms (3x1 GB) on my Core i7 build at the beginning of this year.

My rig: Core i7 920, Asus P6T Deluxe mobo, 3 x 1 GB Corsair DDR3 (TR3x3G1333C9) of RAM, 2 x 500 GB WD HDDs, Leadtek GTX280 etc.

My question for those in the know: I'm planning to add 3 new DIMM modules of 2GB each in DDR3 (1333 MHz). If I add those 3 x 2 gigs modules to the already existing ones of 3 x 1 gig, will the mobo & cpu support them without issues? I never used unbalanced DIMMs in my older rigs - just used the same DIMM size (in GB) in each memory slot.

It's just that I can get a better deal on the 3 x 2 GB tri-channel memory kit from Corsair than on the smaller memory kit of 3 x 1 GB... and I'd like to make good use of all of them - fora a total of 9 gigs.

Thanks for your input!
AntaresDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 03:46 AM   #2
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Re: Different DDR3 DIMM sizes on the same MB?

It is always better to stick with same brand and model for all your sticks, just to guarantee that the mixing is not an issue. A lot of people do get different makes to work together.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote