Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-03-03, 05:48 PM   #13
jim64

ok sound is now working. I re-downloaded the kernel source from kernel.org. And when i compiled it this time my sound works but now my network card does not. I have a Linksys pci card and a on board networking that is i am not sure what i think 3 com or winbond something like that. Its part of nForce2 chipset i guess. My linksys worked b4 but it was set up by the Slackware installer and all i know is that it used the tulip.o driver. I did not see any options for either of my cards in the make menuconfig (not even close). So how do i get at least one of them to work. Any one know/ have advice. Here is what lspci says about them:
01:0c.0 Ethernet controller: Linksys Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100 model NC100 (rev 11)
02:01.0 Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3C920B-EMB Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller (rev 40)
IM me at AIM : p2pRat
jim64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-03, 07:29 PM   #14
connyosis
Eggplant

Send a message via ICQ to connyosis

To get the onboard network card to work, just compile the nvnet driver and load it with modprobe nvnet.
Linksys cards I have never used so I cant help you there. Again I recommend you to join #linuxhelp on irc.freenode.net
Old 07-03-03, 08:11 PM   #15
jim64

Thanks so much for your help. The sound is now working i just need to get one of my network cards to work but now i know the basics of how to compile the kernel. Its also the first friday of the month so i will go to the 2600 meeting and consult the linux guru. O and in the "make menuconfig" there was an option for nvidia audio so i did not really even need the nvidia drivers. I enabled it and it works but i still need them for network.
I tried to get on irc.freenode.net but i am not very familiar with the commands for irc. I know there are tons of manuals on how to use irc on the net and i need to learn how. I cant seem to find an irc client that is easy to use for mac osx or even os9 so i stick with aim for now.

Thank you so much
Old 07-03-03, 08:27 PM   #16
connyosis
Eggplant

:-) No problem, glad to be of service, and yes I bet the gurus knows a little more than I do about getting your network card to run.
Good luck
Old 07-04-03, 02:54 PM   #17
Eric Ortega

Default Multiple sources to /dev/dsp

I have a FIC AU13 as well.

I compiled "Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (ES1371)" into the kernel, aliased nvaudio to sound-slot-0 and have functional sound for at most one stream.

The Audigy card that I have seems to support multiple sound sources automatically. I'm wondering if the fact that only one program can use /dev/dsp at a time is a configuration issue or a driver limitation.

Is anyone else able to have multiple sound sources using this motherboard? Any advice would be appreciated.
Eric Ortega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-03, 05:36 PM   #18
jim64

Um ya thats a bit above my head but i configured mine without downloading the driver from nvidia.com. In make menuconfig there is an option for "intel i8xx audio /nforce audio" or something like that. Its kernel 2.4.21 and it worked fine. But it says that it defaults to 2 channels instead of 6. This is what i read from the output of dmesg. I am wondering if that is due to using the driver built into the kernel instead of using nvidia's. I do not really care bc i only a basic dolby stereo. I duno i am a not that experienced of a user but if any one knows post it pleas.
Thanks
Old 07-04-03, 06:03 PM   #19
Eric Ortega

Defaulting to two channels is also the behavior of the downloaded driver from nvidia.

From dmesg:

0: nvidia: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4363 Sat Apr 19
17:46:46 PDT 2003
Nvidia + AC97 Audio, version 0.24, 15:22:00 Jul 3 2003
Nvaudio: in Funcction Nvaudio_init_module
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:06.0 to 64
Nvaudio: NVIDIA nForce2 Audio found at IO 0xd800 and 0xd400, IRQ 11
Nvaudio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
NVaudio: Defaulting to base 2 channel mode.
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: ALG32 (ALC650)
Nvaudio: Nvaudio_ac97_enable_variable_rate
Nvaudio: AC'97 codec 0, DAC map configured, total channels = 6

I'm not interested in the Dolby Digital output so much as multiple inputs. BTW, the RealOnePlayer for linux also expects some frequency rate other than the supported 48kHz (if spdif is enabled), so I pass in the spdif_status=0 option when loading the module.
Old 07-04-03, 06:13 PM   #20
connyosis
Eggplant

You dont have to pass the spdif status to the driver since it defaults to off. Only if you want it enabled you must pass it.

Old 07-04-03, 06:26 PM   #21
Eric Ortega

I don't know about that. From the INSTALL page:

http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/n..._1.0-0261.html

Quote:
The "spdif_status" module parameter is used to enable or disable S/PDIF support in the driver. By default S/PDIF is enabled, but can be disabled by setting spdif_status to 0. The driver can only support 48kHz sample rate when S/PDIF is enabled, so disabling it will increase compatability with applications that make assumptions about what sample rates the driver supports.
Old 07-04-03, 07:53 PM   #22
connyosis
Eggplant

Ok, thats news to me. I read the opposite, and both in gentoo and slackware the module has spdif disabled by default for me.
Old 07-21-03, 01:27 PM   #23
jim64

Ok i thought it was working and then every thing has gone wrong. No i get errors of all kinds. Sound does work but if one program tries to use it at once then i get errors. I have been working on this for weeks. After trying a million diff steps and attempts from ppl on the net i decided it was time to do a reinstall of slack.
I am starting over and i am trying to install the drivers the way it says on nvidia web site. Last time i just enabled the nvaudio option in the kernel and not use the drivers from nvidia but like i said now i am having problems. Sound worked when i ran mandrake but i hate mandrake! I love slack except for this. If some one could answer directly my questions below i would be very grateful.
1) What the f**k is a unresolved symbol.
2)I installed from source which means that i must enable the nvaudio.o using modprobe or lsmod. I get errors when i type "modprobe nvaudio" saying "cant locate module" . This is odd bc i can locate it just fine and i am not a computer. Its in /lib/modules/2.4.20/kernel/drivers/sound/nvaudio.o. Why does it not know where the module is?
3)If i recompile my kernel there is an option for i810 audio/nvaudio, can i just enable that or do i still have to install the nvidia driver.
Some one help this slacker out.
Old 07-22-03, 01:26 PM   #24
5zymon

jim64 when you are compiling kernel in menu sonund. Leave only i810, nforce support . you should have sound working fine. But i have with it problem too . Sound works, but it doesn`t want to work in full duplex mode. When i play quake or tux racer i get no sound. when i turn duplex mode to on, i got error cpu overload and sound works in games , but in desktop it does not . I want to use nvaudio module. But when i try to load it computer hangs and i have to reboot. Basicly...i don`t know what to do . When i don`t compile the i810 support in kernel i also don`t have ac97_codec suppor and nvaudio doesn`ty want to work ;(.
my distro is slack 9.0
5zymon is offline   Reply With Quote