Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-17-09, 02:11 PM   #1
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman
Default So Many XP Users Still

Im suprised their so many still using xp, why?

You only get 3 gigs or usuage from ram and no dx 10 for 11 so why hold on?
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 12-17-09, 02:16 PM   #2
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: So Many XP Users Still

Not everyone is as rich as you Biggie

Plus many are perfectly happy with the OS they have

Btw the 3GB "limit" is a function of a 32-bit operating system, not Windows XP. All 32-bit operating systems not using PAE extensions and stuff have the same limitation.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-09, 08:14 PM   #3
Gimlis

On the Flip side, given that with XP 2gb of ram is sufficient under most circumstances.
why move to Vista or Win 7 ?
Gimlis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-09, 10:34 PM   #4
Starscream
Decepticook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman View Post
Im suprised their so many still using xp, why?

You only get 3 gigs or usuage from ram and no dx 10 for 11 so why hold on?
The average computer user does not care in the least about any of those features.

People are still using XP because it works well. It's as simple as that.
Old 12-18-09, 12:31 AM   #5
JasonPC

Vista and Windows 7 are making a dent. The steam hardware survey is a pretty good indicator. It showed that finally Windows XP was under 50% marketshare. It also showed a steeper decline in Windows Vista users (percentage wise) because the majority of Windows 7 upgrades came from Windows Vista. But ever so slowly XP's marketshare is shrinking just a bit. I know Steam is primarily a gamer-based audience but I'm assuming that's who we're talking about here since it's obvious why many businesses and casual PC users are happy with XP. One interesting thing that the steam survey showed is a lot of gamers have DX10 capable cards now but nearly half are still using XP! I'm not sure if that means Vista flopped more than DX10 or DX10 flopped more than Vista?
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 08:12 AM   #6
dncornholio
*BANNED*

Simply put, M$ charges too much for an OS. I'd like to see them be stripped of their welfare from the state (patent laws) and ultimately be forced to lower prices or go out of business.

Last edited by dncornholio; 12-18-09 at 08:13 AM. Reason: clarification
dncornholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 12:28 PM   #7
frenchy2k1

Upgrades are always a minority in computer change.
People change OS when they change computer. Win7 will grow as people renew their computers, but as most people dont need to do that very often (you can keep a computer 5+ years if all you do is web, email and a bit of online video), it will take a long time.
I dont need to drop MS $100 for the privilege of trying their new OS, while my current one fill up all my needs. Same with DX10/11. My GF card supports it, but it would cost me 2 games to enable it (by Vista/7). Why? There is very little improvement in graphic quality from DX9+ and a heavy hit on frame rates.
Old 12-18-09, 12:38 PM   #8
Lyme

Because a significant number of really large businesses are just finishing upgrading to Vista now. My work, 5000+ desktops/laptops, will be finished the Vista roll out by the end of the month.

At home, I moved off xp ages ago and would not imagine going back.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-09, 12:47 PM   #9
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dncornholio View Post
Simply put, M$ charges too much for an OS. I'd like to see them be stripped of their welfare from the state (patent laws) and ultimately be forced to lower prices or go out of business.
Or, they will be forced to move to another country where the laws are not as tight, like a lot of companies have done. Your logic (along with your attempt to bypass your perma-ban) is flawed.

Nice try kevpla, but you've failed (once again). Please don't come back.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-09, 01:59 PM   #10
XDanger
Whaaat?

New PC's have 7 so things will change more now.

And theres no percieved reason to offer the public XP unlike during Vista's short spell.
Old 12-19-09, 08:07 AM   #11
technoid

I still use Windows XP and will probably continue to do so even though I bought Windows 7 Pro to try out. For me the reason is I don't like the new interface, it's total eye candy with too much flash trash. Now I like the MAC interface but WinVista and Win7 seem like flash trash without substance. I bought WinVista Ultimate from a friend that worked for Microsoft for DX10 but never used it, so Win7 may end up with the same fate. Everything I read about DX10 was less frame rate with marginal gains in appearance, so no thanks.

Go figure... I was a Engineering Technician, then a HW Engineer, then a SW Engineer and always liked High Tech Anything, but the latest technology just leaves me cold. My last job with Texas Instruments was with the Wireless Computing division and the current cell phone craze seems childish to me. I just want a phone, not a wireless everything toy. But I'm sure I'm wrong about that, 50 ga-zillion people buying them can't be wrong

The 3GB limit is okay for me since I don't do that many things at the same time to need more memory. I'm even sticking with a Core 2 Duo E8600 for my next build, which is in the closet waiting to be put together. I like the lower power requirements of the C2D, the top processor is still only 65 Watts.

I can't tell you how much money I spent before I retired upgrading computers, but now I game very little (not many good pc games anyway) so the upgrade in the closet may be my last one for a LONG TIME.
Old 12-19-09, 10:46 AM   #12
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
I still use Windows XP and will probably continue to do so even though I bought Windows 7 Pro to try out. For me the reason is I don't like the new interface, it's total eye candy with too much flash trash. Now I like the MAC interface but WinVista and Win7 seem like flash trash without substance.

You realize you could disable all of that "flash trash" and have an OS that looked and felt like XP but would still be better? Saying that Win 7 is without substance because they made it look better in the process of making it better overall doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

I do agree with you and the whole cell phone craze, though.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote