Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-19-09, 01:35 PM   #13
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman
Default Re: So Many XP Users Still

Yea but you get tired of looking at the same things for 7 years unless you use a skinning app to overhawl stuff like i did.

Xp is sitll sfae to use but hardware changes and so should the os to push it.

Im sorry but xp isn't going to tap the resources of an I7 or quad Phenom 965 with 8 or 12 gigs of ram..

Plus for those who mention pea extention it doesn't do anything and those who mention XP 64 that was a night mare cuz it broke more stuff them ME and Vista did.

I say go 7 and use xp add in and all solved and saves me from getting a point across.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 12-19-09, 04:34 PM   #14
Lyme

technoid,
I feel for your HW/SW engineering employers, I've always disliked staff who cannot or will not make decisions at more than a superficial level, and/or are unable to continue to learn new things. It seems that your comments are full of far too much flash, and little substance.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-09, 09:55 PM   #15
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

Eh Hawn whats up shaw?

Yea XP is still ok for old schoolers but not mua, i like the new blood.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 12-20-09, 12:45 PM   #16
hell_of_doom227

No really advantage over XP yet, especially if you're using XP x64 Edition which is pretty well supported. So far DX11 and DX10 didn't bring anything exciting.
System: eVGA x58SLI x16 4Way Classified, Intel Six Core i7 X980@4.00Ghz, 6Gb GSkill DDR3-1600, Tri Crossfire 3xATI Radeon 5870 1Gb, Raid1 - 2xSSD Intel 80Gb X-25M, Raid0 - 2xHDD Samsung 2Tb, Raid1 - 2xHDD Samsung 1Tb, LG Blue-Ray/HD-DVD Player, Silverstone 1100W PSU, Intel Stock Cooler (New One), Thermaltake Xaser VI, LG 27" LCD, Logitech Keyboard G15, G5 Logitech Mouse

35708 - 3DMark Vantage
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dmv=2109601
hell_of_doom227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 03:01 PM   #17
Lyme

can't use office 2010 64bit on xp, or windows 2003, because there are issues with the 64bit.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 06:49 PM   #18
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by hell_of_doom227 View Post
No really advantage over XP yet, especially if you're using XP x64 Edition which is pretty well supported. So far DX11 and DX10 didn't bring anything exciting.
It all boils down to what you use your computer for.

You mentioned 2GB of RAM being plenty for XP- depends on usage. Disable the page file and I can EASILY max out that RAM. After a clean install with all updates and drivers (SP3 included) XP idles at around 600-700MB memory usage. Far less than Vista, and even less (though not by much) than 7 Ultimate x64.

However, start firing up programs such as Steam, I.S. (which is near a must for anybody on XP still), etc and that 2GB really begins to look small.

I used this exact process to show my buddy how 2GB isn't that much anymore. He was absolutely convinced that 2GB of RAM was more than sufficient. I told him it wasn't. He doesn't do a lot of high res gaming- the games he does play are mostly old-school by today's standards (WoW, LotR: BFME and BFME II, C&C 3, etc). He was convinced 2GB was plenty.

He doesn't quite understand the concept of a pagefile, or atleast he didn't. So, I disabled his page file and restarted the system. Fired up just fine.

He had IE open with a bunch of tabs, minimized it and went to fire up WoW and got the notorious prompt informing him he was low on memory and needed to close some applications.

I then explained to him how the pagefile works, and how more RAM and no pagefile is always preferred for optimal performance.

You don't believe me? Do like wise. Disable your page file and carry on using your rig. Let's see how long that 2GB lasts you.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 10:37 PM   #19
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme View Post
technoid,
I feel for your HW/SW engineering employers, I've always disliked staff who cannot or will not make decisions at more than a superficial level, and/or are unable to continue to learn new things. It seems that your comments are full of far too much flash, and little substance.
hehehe...
Old 12-20-09, 10:40 PM   #20
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
It all boils down to what you use your computer for.

You mentioned 2GB of RAM being plenty for XP- depends on usage. Disable the page file and I can EASILY max out that RAM. After a clean install with all updates and drivers (SP3 included) XP idles at around 600-700MB memory usage. Far less than Vista, and even less (though not by much) than 7 Ultimate x64.

However, start firing up programs such as Steam, I.S. (which is near a must for anybody on XP still), etc and that 2GB really begins to look small.

I used this exact process to show my buddy how 2GB isn't that much anymore. He was absolutely convinced that 2GB of RAM was more than sufficient. I told him it wasn't. He doesn't do a lot of high res gaming- the games he does play are mostly old-school by today's standards (WoW, LotR: BFME and BFME II, C&C 3, etc). He was convinced 2GB was plenty.

He doesn't quite understand the concept of a pagefile, or atleast he didn't. So, I disabled his page file and restarted the system. Fired up just fine.

He had IE open with a bunch of tabs, minimized it and went to fire up WoW and got the notorious prompt informing him he was low on memory and needed to close some applications.

I then explained to him how the pagefile works, and how more RAM and no pagefile is always preferred for optimal performance.

You don't believe me? Do like wise. Disable your page file and carry on using your rig. Let's see how long that 2GB lasts you.
But a pagefile is a good thing, why disable it. That's the way the OS is meant to run

Old 12-20-09, 10:41 PM   #21
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
But a pagefile is a good thing, why disable it. That's the way the OS is meant to run
Let me ask you this- what is the *sole* purpose of RAM?
Old 12-20-09, 10:44 PM   #22
technoid

Sorry Guys. I just posted how I feel about XP in the spirit of the thread, no reason to attack me for it.

There are certainly good things about WinVista and Win7. But WinXP works for me, even if it's old like me
Old 12-20-09, 10:45 PM   #23
technoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Let me ask you this- what is the *sole* purpose of RAM?
But I would ask the same thing about the pagefile
Old 12-20-09, 10:46 PM   #24
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by technoid View Post
Sorry Guys. I just posted how I feel about XP in the spirit of the thread, no reason to attack me for it.

There are certainly good things about WinVista and Win7. But WinXP works for me, even if it's old like me
Not attacking- just curious about a few things, hence my prior question.

After you answer my previous question, answer this one please-

What is a pagefile?