Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-15-03, 07:01 PM   #1
kevryn

Send a message via ICQ to kevryn Send a message via AIM to kevryn Send a message via Yahoo to kevryn
Angry FreeBSD 4.8 and 1.0-4365: almost all games segfault: SDL Parachute Deployed

I've tried to run several games, such as tuxracer and Quake, only to have them segfault with the following message:

Quote:
Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
I have an nVidia TNT2 card and I'm using the nvidia driver from ports. I didn't have problems when I was using the nv driver (aside from the games being so slow as to be unplayable without hardware acceleration), so I think the problem is related to the nvidia driver. However, tuxracer doesn't segfault if I disable audio in the config file, which makes me think that the problem may possibly be audio related. But I've noticed that only games using the GL libraries segfault on start; lbreakout2 doesn't crash even with audio enabled (though it occasionally hangs on exit and I have to kill -9 it).

Is this a common problem, and is there a fix for it?

(edit: I'm at home this week and won't have access to my FreeBSD box at school until next Monday at the latest, will post system info then)
kevryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-03, 06:47 AM   #2
georg

Had a similar problem on older drivers with some doom port (SDL parachute deployed) - the problem was either to do with palletized textures, or the right resolution not being available. Try to

a. Disable palletized textures in whatever game you're using
b. Make sure that common resolutions like 800x600 and 640x480 are available for fullscreen switches...

hth
georg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-03, 01:26 PM   #3
kevryn

Send a message via ICQ to kevryn Send a message via AIM to kevryn Send a message via Yahoo to kevryn

It's not resolution problems switching to fullscreen; as I have those resolutions available and the crash occurs if starting the apps in windowed mode as well. I haven't tried disabling palletized textures, I'll try that when I get back to school.

By the way, how do you disable palletized textures?
kevryn is offline   Reply With Quote