Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-20-09, 09:45 AM   #1
viktiglemma

Default Bug: laptop fan running on X start and relogin

Every time I boot my system to the login screen a fan starts running. In fact it happens rightas the big NVIDA letters come over my screen. The fan will run for about 5 minutes before it stops. I started out with the 185 drivers that come with Ubuntu Karmic. Then I tried downgrading to 173 -- and with this driver the fan didn't start!! But there were other problems with my dual monitor setup so I didn't want to keep that driver. I have now installed the 190 driver but still the fan is running.

All I have to do is log out to the login screen to get the fan started again. Then as I log in it takes another 5 minutes to make it stop.

Hope you can find a fix!
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (46.6 KB, 65 views)
viktiglemma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 10:11 AM   #2
skepticman

Default Re: Bug: laptop fan running on X start and relogin

I started having this problem with all drivers after 180.60. I'm guessing you have an 8400 card. Several other people have posted about the problem. The only fix I know of is to install 180.60 or older and reboot.
skepticman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-09, 11:40 AM   #3
Feduser4

Default Re: Bug: laptop fan running on X start and relogin

Same problem here. My laptop has a 7000M GPU. I tried downgrading to the 180.60 driver which doesn't have this problem. This driver compiles in Fedora 12, but it won't load with startx. The server can't find nvidia_drv.so even though it is there.

I heard that this problem does not occur with all GPUs. Unfortunately, I cannot upgrade the GPU as it is soldered onto the mainboard. I am afraid it will grind my GPU fan to dust.
Feduser4 is offline   Reply With Quote