Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-21-09, 09:35 AM   #1
eabbink

Default Possible for dual gpu card to be driven by separate Xservers?

We've been testing here with a new server that contains 4 graphics cards (for practical reasons they are gtx260's at the moment). Each card is driven by its own complete separate Xserver instance. So I have 4 displays in total: 0.0, 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0

This seems to perform quite well and stable.

The new server is performing so well even, that we are considering squeezing more pipes out of it. Therefore I am wondering: is it possible to drive the two gpu's on a multi-gpu card (like gtx295) separately? So I have both 0.0 and 1.0 coming from the same card, but as before as separate X server instances.

If possible, that would double our number of pipes while sticking to 1 dedicated gpu (including mem!) per pipe.

I know that I can use multiple screens or twinview, I am specifically asking about multiple X server instance.

thanks!
eabbink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-09, 10:43 AM   #2
eabbink

Default Re: Possible for dual gpu card to be driven by separate Xservers?

Actually, I must correct myself. TwinView/Multiple screens are not compatible with enabled MultiGPU/SLI.

So, that begs the question: is there another way to make both gpu's on a single card do work while outputting to two displays?
Old 12-21-09, 03:06 PM   #3
Thunderbird

The only way to do is to use Quadro NVS 4xx cards. Each board contains two GPUs but they operate independently and appear to the system as two cards. These cards are expensive though, so just buying more PCs containing budget cards is likely cheaper.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 03:43 AM   #4
eabbink

thx for the tip, I am not familiar with the NVS product lines.

Just looked at the NVS420/450 but they seem geared towards 2D multimonitor display setups (dealing rooms/public displays)

we need full 3D capabilities on each screen.

What I can gather from the documentation is that using two gpus on a single card in a standard way excludes any use of a second display. In some cases having multiple X server instances control a single card works, but mostly it is very unstable. And if both servers control the same card in the same way they would both use the first gpu and leave the second idling anyway..

One other use of multigpu cards in our case might be PhysX/Cuda. Having the first gpu on a card do 3D and the 2nd do calculations. Anyone an idea if this is accomplishable?

A trick to get both gpu's on a single card to work independantly is also still welcome. Thinking about it though, even if the driver at the moment would not support this, would the hardware even? (ramdac etc?)