Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-22-09, 08:08 AM   #25
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me
 
NarcissistZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,033
Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

Does DX11 offer anything other than tesselation yet anyway?
__________________
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 08:30 AM   #26
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheANIMAL View Post
Its amazing what high detail textures can do for an engine.

Get your textures right and get your aliasing sorted out and your on the path to near perfect graphics.
Yeah but nobody else uses the engine and I think Crytek are pretty pissed about that.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 10:57 AM   #27
TheANIMAL
Registered User
 
TheANIMAL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Near Bude, Cornwall, UK
Posts: 1,291
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetdjuret View Post
Yeah but don't forget 2 other very important aspects... lighting and shadowing. And now in Crysis 2, they've upgraded the lighting to be even better.
I would add to that shading aswell, bg improvements need to be made there i guess.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 12:27 PM   #28
mojoman0
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: California
Posts: 3,566
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

I tought Aion was using the Crytek engine. wrong?
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 01:05 PM   #29
jlippo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 532
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Does DX11 offer anything other than tesselation yet anyway?
Some nice compression methods for HDR textures, compute shaders which mean easy and more efficent methods for post processing and possibilities for almost everything else. (like full 'software rendering'.)
Jump from dx10 to dx11 is also effortless when compared from dx9 to dx10, basically dx10 is dead API which hopefully is never again used.
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 04:16 PM   #30
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede
 
Soetdjuret's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Svea
Posts: 1,982
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Yeah but nobody else uses the engine and I think Crytek are pretty pissed about that.
Dude, there's atleast 2 other games plus one Beta from another game out there that uses CryENGINE2 (that has been released), cryteks games isn't the only ones using CE2.


And in the latest interview from a person from crytek he received this question:

Q:Just one question regarding CryEngine 2. Can you tell us how well did it go with licensing, and did it satisfied your expectations at that matter?

A: Carl Jones: Licensing a PC-only engine was made difficult in the last few years due to the changing nature of the games market itself. Piracy hurt PC-only games in terms of sales figures, so publishers and developers moved away from making such titles. As a result, console middleware was more widespread than PC focused technology such as CryENGINE® 1 and 2, but we have had some great successes and developers are working on great looking games that will launch soon, that started out on earlier versions of CryENGINE®. We’re happy with the quality we achieved, but circumstances limited the quantity of licensees we signed up. That won’t be an issue with CryENGINE® 3!


So they aint too pissed about it.
__________________
R.I.P Stage6 | per haud Justiciá illic exsisto haud pacís...
Soetdjuret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 04:49 PM   #31
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetdjuret View Post
Dude, there's atleast 2 other games plus one Beta from another game out there that uses CryENGINE2 (that has been released), cryteks games isn't the only ones using CE2.


And in the latest interview from a person from crytek he received this question:

Q:Just one question regarding CryEngine 2. Can you tell us how well did it go with licensing, and did it satisfied your expectations at that matter?

A: Carl Jones: Licensing a PC-only engine was made difficult in the last few years due to the changing nature of the games market itself. Piracy hurt PC-only games in terms of sales figures, so publishers and developers moved away from making such titles. As a result, console middleware was more widespread than PC focused technology such as CryENGINE® 1 and 2, but we have had some great successes and developers are working on great looking games that will launch soon, that started out on earlier versions of CryENGINE®. We’re happy with the quality we achieved, but circumstances limited the quantity of licensees we signed up. That won’t be an issue with CryENGINE® 3!


So they aint too pissed about it.
Two other games? that's pathetic. Since when would you spend a ton of money developing an engine for two other game to use it?

UE3 is being used a lot more than the CryENGINE because it's alot more scalable. Assassins Creed, Batman and MassEffect being just a few.

Crytek better hope that's not marketing talk with their CRYENGINE3.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 05:33 PM   #32
agentkay
Registered User
 
agentkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,866
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

How many years and how many engines and games did Epic release by now? Crytek just released two games (FarCry and Crysis), they made their own engines from groundup without a single middleware (most UE3 engine games are filled with middlewares to death). And didn't the first UnrealEngine derive from the Quake2 engine anyway? Crytek has a very impressive track record considering how much younger they are than Epic and considering they basically started from zero.
__________________

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-22-09, 05:40 PM   #33
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
How many years and how many engines and games did Epic release by now? Crytek just released two games (FarCry and Crysis), they made their own engines from groundup without a single middleware (most UE3 engine games are filled with middlewares to death). And didn't the first UnrealEngine derive from the Quake2 engine anyway? Crytek has a very impressive track record considering how much younger they are than Epic and considering they basically started from zero.
Middlewares?

What track record?
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 06:09 PM   #34
agentkay
Registered User
 
agentkay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 3,866
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

I try to spell it out: Writing engines that don't need 3rd party middleware software (that cost money) to make successful and good games. Writing these engines from the ground up without derived code (unlike Epics UE1, which I *think* was based off Quake2 engine), all with limited resources of a small German start-up company.

Cryteks two games were very successful considering the circumstances. FarCry was more technological advanced than HL2 and Doom3, and it easily beat Doom3 in the gameplay department, and it even came out earlier than both other games. Crysis is still the technological benchmark to this day, and that game was released over two years ago plus its one fine FPS, one of the best that I played on PC (and I almost played them all). Crytek also successfully expented and bought I think 3 other studios by now, not a bad track record for a small, independent and primarly PC-focused game/engine-dev studio... eh?

Epic has been in the business far longer, they made more games, engines and obviously licensed them more often (which brings in major funds) but primarly they sold out to the consoles far earlier as well.
__________________

Intel I7-920 aircooled by Prolimatech Megahalems @ 3.8Ghz (200x19) | Gigabyte GA-X58-UD3R | OCZ Platinum 3x2GB DDR3-1600 RAM (7-7-7-24) @ 1600 | Gainward GTX 480 | WD Raptor 74GB + 150GB + Samsung 1TB | Soundblaster X-Fi Platinum | Corsair AX850 Gold | Coolermaster Stacker 830 silver | Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 | Logitech G15 keyboard | Logitech G25 Racing Wheel | Sharp LC-46 XL1E (gaming and work)
F CliffyB.
agentkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 06:37 PM   #35
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

The Unreal engine wasn't made from the Quake 2 engine as far as I know.

They were competing technologies back in 1998.
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-09, 06:45 PM   #36
Sean_W
Registered User
 
Sean_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,423
Default Re: Zomg Crysis 2 screens?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentkay View Post
I try to spell it out: Writing engines that don't need 3rd party middleware software (that cost money) to make successful and good games. Writing these engines from the ground up without derived code (unlike Epics UE1, which I *think* was based off Quake2 engine), all with limited resources of a small German start-up company.
Unreal Engine and the Quake engine are completely different man. Where did you get the idea UE was based off the Quake2 engine?

Quote:
Cryteks two games were very successful considering the circumstances. FarCry was more technological advanced than HL2 and Doom3, and it easily beat Doom3 in the gameplay department, and it even came out earlier than both other games. Crysis is still the technological benchmark to this day, and that game was released over two years ago plus its one fine FPS, one of the best that I played on PC (and I almost played them all). Crytek also successfully expented and bought I think 3 other studios by now, not a bad track record for a small, independent and primarly PC-focused game/engine-dev studio... eh?
So it's your opinion in other words. The AI in Crysis is shockingly bad and so are the physics.

Quote:
Epic has been in the business far longer, they made more games, engines and obviously licensed them more often (which brings in major funds) but primarly they sold out to the consoles far earlier as well.
Well, Crytek have done two games and have "sold out to the consoles" already.

You talk as if middleware is a bad thing.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.