Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-25-10, 03:18 PM   #49
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: nvidia driver very unstable on gtx260m

I find it irritating personally, but I can understand that mrn wants to make sure this problem stays on the radar. As long as the bumping doesn't get out of hand, I'm fine with it. I do ask that the frequency be reduced in this instance, though.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 03:17 AM   #50
wiresquire

Thanks!
wiresquire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 12:43 PM   #51
mrn

@wiresquire
Yes, I do realize it's bad netiquette, I'm making a point.

I bought this (very) expencive piece of hardware, tested it. Found that one problem with it and "knew" based on my experience that nvidia would fix it in a reasonable timeframe. I did tons of work for testing, sent it to linux-bugs@nvidia including details + a link to this thread with updated details. I haven't even gotten a "we're looking into it".

I currently have a choice between:
  • The 173 driver, which is so slow switching windows is noticable, and it quickly bogs down to the point where I can't even watch a non hd video.
  • Any newer driver on 64bit which causes crashing, seemingly randomly, very often within 10-15 minutes.
  • Any newer driver on 32bit, which causes XID lockups and restarts of X.
  • The nouveau driver, which doesn't have power management. What I use currently, but I have a quite serious headache and I've had it for some time.

Any nvidia driver at this point is limiting my ability to do my work. So I'm stuck during long hours with smashing headaches. I've considered trying to return it or sell it a 100 times by now, but fact is I can't afford not using it at this point.
mrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-10, 03:40 PM   #52
wiresquire

Oh, cool! So that makes it OK!!! Awesomeness!

I bought this (very) expensive piece of hardware, tested it. Found that one problem with it and "knew" based on my experience that nvidia would fix it in a reasonable timeframe. I did tons of work for testing, sent it to linux-bugs@nvidia at least 4 times including details + a link to this thread with updated details. I haven't even gotten a "we're looking into it" in over 7 months

* The 180.x driver, which is slow
* Any newer driver on 64bit which does not work for SLI.
* The nouveau driver, which doesn't have power management. What I use currently, but I have a quite serious headache and I've had it for some time.

Any nvidia driver at this point is limiting my ability to do my work. So I'm stuck during long hours with smashing headaches. I've considered trying to return it or sell it a 100 times by now, but fact is I can't afford not using it at this point.

ws

PS: Thanks for teaching me how to get some attention! Hope you don't mind plagiarism!!
Old 02-26-10, 07:32 PM   #53
mdriftmeyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrn View Post
@wiresquire
Yes, I do realize it's bad netiquette, I'm making a point.

I bought this (very) expencive piece of hardware, tested it. Found that one problem with it and "knew" based on my experience that nvidia would fix it in a reasonable timeframe. I did tons of work for testing, sent it to linux-bugs@nvidia including details + a link to this thread with updated details. I haven't even gotten a "we're looking into it".

• The 173 driver, which is so slow switching windows is noticable, and it quickly bogs down to the point where I can't even watch a non hd video.
  • Any newer driver on 64bit which causes crashing, seemingly randomly, very often within 10-15 minutes.
  • Any newer driver on 32bit, which causes XID lockups and restarts of X.
  • The nouveau driver, which doesn't have power management. What I use currently, but I have a quite serious headache and I've had it for some time.

The new release is up. I'd like to know how it goes, personally.

I'll wait for Debian to release their latest with today's release.
mdriftmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-10, 02:22 AM   #54
mrn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiresquire View Post
Oh, cool! So that makes it OK!!! Awesomeness!

I bought this (very) expensive piece of hardware, tested it. Found that one problem with it and "knew" based on my experience that nvidia would fix it in a reasonable timeframe. I did tons of work for testing, sent it to linux-bugs@nvidia at least 4 times including details + a link to this thread with updated details. I haven't even gotten a "we're looking into it" in over 7 months

* The 180.x driver, which is slow
* Any newer driver on 64bit which does not work for SLI.
* The nouveau driver, which doesn't have power management. What I use currently, but I have a quite serious headache and I've had it for some time.

ws

PS: Thanks for teaching me how to get some attention! Hope you don't mind plagiarism!!
I realize that you think you've just "burned" me, but I'd support you bumping your own thread like mad to keep it on the front page. Fact is letting it fall to page 42 helps you VERY little, and when potentional nvidia customers look on this web page they don't see the issues that arn't fixed.

On a side note your on new drivers missing SLI, while I can't keep X up for more than 30 minutes without random restarts. The issues are hardly comparable. Your asking for a feature improvement while I'm having massive stability issues.
Old 02-27-10, 04:55 PM   #55
wiresquire

Actually, you are entirely incorrect about the classification of my problem. It has never been a feature request or enhancement request, and has always been a regression. For the first 4 months of the 7 months it was a stability issue. The machine would hang during X load for 4 months of that 7 months. It is now "only" a regression.

And at any rate, I'm not really interested in a pissing competition about who's problem is currently more serious. It's entirely out of our control. But I do object to the method of bumping you have chosen to use which has been at odds with the operation of this forum in the years that I have visited it.

ws
Old 03-06-10, 03:18 AM   #56
mrn

Old 03-10-10, 01:12 PM   #57
mrn

bump..
Old 03-22-10, 02:16 PM   #58
mrn

Found a workaround to avoid this bug.

If I on every start and resume from suspend to ram do an extra switch to vt1 and back, AND click my alienware's "stealth mode" button it's stable. Doing one of those actions does not work, but both in combination does. I'm guessing it resets a bit more to the settings it's supposed to be at. If your having this issue and don't have a stealth mode button, try running up glxgears or something, to trigger a speed change.

This means a wakeup from s2ram for me is:
Wakeup on vt1, resume goes normal, changes to vt7, I switch it back to vt1 and back to vt7 after that, and click my stealth mode button on and off.

//edit, this is on ubuntu karmic 64bit. New drivers 190 and 195 has both worked. Latest beta has an odd slowdown over time bug though.

Last edited by mrn; 04-04-10 at 02:17 AM.
Old 03-28-10, 08:24 AM   #59
wiresquire

bump
Old 04-02-10, 04:41 PM   #60
x30n

helping you out with some nonbumping bumping

Got the same problem here with the Alienware M15x / 260M 1GB / i7 720

Trying to use it as an emergency fallback for my broken MacBook Pro until I make it to the next apple store. Works fine except for the x-server crashes.

In my inpatience I installed Ubuntu 9.10 64Bit. At first I used the 180 driver. As soon as the flash player started to play video on vimeo or youtube the X crashed within one minute. Fixed that by using the 180-dev package. No idea why that worked. However still unstable. Crashed mostly when using GIMP or the Gnome image viewer.

Reinstalled all of it, using the 195 driver. The flash player did cause X to crash again so I got rid of it. That all worked well until I opened Skypes Option window, boom crashed. Yet not in a repeatable manner.

Result is a system I can use for several hours, yet it crashes after a while. That means its not usable. Hate the idea to lose an hours work or just get interrupted in my workflow.

Got the book as a gaming rig, now it also needs to be a fallback workstation. Great book, buggy driver.

The 2D drivers are not an option to me since I need Compiz's screeninversion. Unlike the accessibility inversion its usable due to its speed. And without inverson I get crazy. I hate bright screens. Besides one is used to some eyecandy thse days.

Will try it with the 32bit version of Ubuntu. Perhaps that will help. Keeping you guys informed.

cu
x
x30n is offline   Reply With Quote