Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-28-09, 08:16 PM   #1
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard
Default Does this look okay?

Everyone else I seen with this revision chip can do 3.60GHz at 1.36VID how come I cannot get it there? Voltages are all in the green area. What in my evga bios can I increase that will help me achieve the same if thats even possible. I'd like to lower the temps a 1.36V ought to lower my temps back down alot. I got my memory unlinked at 800MHz, I put all the voltages the SPP MCP etc to the highest green setting possible being careful not to venture in the red, yet I still have to put my CPU Voltage to 1.45, which in my bios by the way shows up as 1.518. Any ideas?

Old 12-28-09, 11:38 PM   #2
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Default Re: Does this look okay?

anyone?
Old 12-28-09, 11:39 PM   #3
CaptNKILL
CUBE

It could be related to your motherboard.

My gigabyte P45 board overclocks much more easily than my P35 did. It had a lot to do with voltages.

Also, thoroughly test your system with memtest to see if you have a bad stick of ram. I had a stick that was screwy and removing it allowed me to crank my Q9550 from 3.6 to 4.25 with no problems (other than having to use an uncomfortable amount of voltage). I had no idea that one of my sticks was bad until I did this.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 02:01 AM   #4
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL View Post
It could be related to your motherboard.

My gigabyte P45 board overclocks much more easily than my P35 did. It had a lot to do with voltages.

Also, thoroughly test your system with memtest to see if you have a bad stick of ram. I had a stick that was screwy and removing it allowed me to crank my Q9550 from 3.6 to 4.25 with no problems (other than having to use an uncomfortable amount of voltage). I had no idea that one of my sticks was bad until I did this.
Thanks. I think I may have a bad stick of RAM. It gave me fits before, but I've never had a crash other then the occasional freeze here and there, which I thought could be narrowed down to my CPU clock speed. It could very well be the fact I am using a 780i board, but I know people have had a lot better luck out of this processor, mind you I got mine stable at 3.6GHz at its current voltage.

If I wasn't overclocking my RAM though, can it still cause this? Im going to run memtest and see again here in a few.
Old 12-29-09, 02:50 AM   #5
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Update. Memtest for two passes no errors. I tried bumping the voltage down to 1.38, BSOD after starting prime95.
Old 12-29-09, 03:26 PM   #6
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
Update. Memtest for two passes no errors. I tried bumping the voltage down to 1.38, BSOD after starting prime95.
I know memtest is considered a standard, but I've had Kingston and OCZ ram that passed no problems on overnight runs. It wasn't until I started removing a stick at a time and attempting to overclock more that I found the bad sticks.

It's time consuming, but will rid you of a bad stick if that's it.
Old 12-29-09, 04:04 PM   #7
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I know memtest is considered a standard, but I've had Kingston and OCZ ram that passed no problems on overnight runs. It wasn't until I started removing a stick at a time and attempting to overclock more that I found the bad sticks.

It's time consuming, but will rid you of a bad stick if that's it.
So you think it is RAM though? I mean couldn't it be I just got an unlucky CPU that has to have more voltage, or do all of the G0's run at 1.36VID stable @ 3.6GHz?
Old 12-29-09, 04:22 PM   #8
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
So you think it is RAM though? I mean couldn't it be I just got an unlucky CPU that has to have more voltage, or do all of the G0's run at 1.36VID stable @ 3.6GHz?
I honestly don't know if they all will. It just seems it would be easier to test the ram a stick at a time than it would to replace your cpu.

Overclocking really is luck of the draw, but I honestly don't remember reading of any of the G0s that wouldn't hit 3.6 or better with a good mobo and good ram.

Either way that's still a heck of an overclock.

Old 12-29-09, 04:33 PM   #9
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I honestly don't know if they all will. It just seems it would be easier to test the ram a stick at a time than it would to replace your cpu.

Overclocking really is luck of the draw, but I honestly don't remember reading of any of the G0s that wouldn't hit 3.6 or better with a good mobo and good ram.

Either way that's still a heck of an overclock.
It is 100% stable at 1.45Voltage, but like I said it runs pretty damn hot.
Old 12-29-09, 05:12 PM   #10
betterdan

I know I can't get past 3.8Ghz at all with the Corsair memory in my computer even by itself after removing the G Skill memory. I figured the Corsair memory would let me overclock higher since it is DDR3 1600 ram and the G. Skill is 1333. I even set the memory to run at it's slowest speed and no dice, it won't even get out of the bios.

If I remove the Corsair and just run the G. Skill I can get to 4GHZ but it errors out in Prime 95. I'm thinking about selling this ram and getting some higher speed G. Skill memory.
Anyways, just wanted to let you know memory can and does effect overclocking on my board.
Old 12-29-09, 07:32 PM   #11
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Yeah thats weird though. I always assumed you had to be overclocking the memory in order for it to really effect the RAM.
Old 12-29-09, 07:38 PM   #12
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

could upping the timings to 5-5-5-15 help me any? They are currently at 4-4-4-15.