Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-26-09, 03:11 AM   #13
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Demon souls.....hooooleeeeey ****!

these guys have seriously never played an mmo? "oh hey, I got summoned and took pot shots at this giant, neither one of us knew wtf we were doing..but we killed it some how! Then I got kicked back to my world, no loot, and like he sent me a tell GG!" vs "me and 24 other of my close friends (or they could be complete nobodies) just ran through this epic dungion in icecrown, dude this boss with this BAD ASS axe just wails on us! We quickly put together a stratagy to follow, beat him, and got phat lewts!"

I like how they didn't cover gameplay, cause its crap. story? haha!
Old 12-26-09, 03:21 AM   #14
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit View Post
Demon's Souls, seriously? Poor choice, imho. I like the game, and I'm a PS3 fanboy, but it's not GoTY.

Uncharted 2 is better is so many aspects. Better story, better graphics, better "flow", more appealing to a higher number of gamers (it takes a special kind of gamer to squeeze real enjoyment out of Demon's Souls), better....hell, Uncharted 2 is probably better than Demon's Souls in nearly every way.

Demon's Souls is a better choice than Modern Warfare 2 though.
As a huge fan of the Uncharted series I can't agree with most of this statement. Uncharted 2 is definitely better looking, but beyond that I don't see anything it has over Demon's Souls that would make it GotY.

IMO "mass appeal" is exactly why Demon's Souls won't get more GotY awards, but I don't think that should have any bearing on the decision. Today's average gamer is used to dumbed down easy game play, and that so called "special" gamer of today would have just been any old gamer 10 or 15 years ago. The fact that the game isn't mass appeal is one of it's most redeeming qualities.

Demon's Souls is a throwback to when games were actually difficult. It's also one of the few games in recent years that makes your pulse race and gives you that sense of accomplishment when you finally pass that boss or area that was kicking your ass before. Never once did i feel that sense of accomplishment, get sweaty palms, yell or cheer at the television after an amazing battle, get an adrenaline rush, etc. from Uncharted 2 like I did with Demon's Souls.

Uncharted 2 is no doubt a great game, but it's one of those soon forgotten games where six months down the road when someone asks about it all you can tell them is, "it's great" or has "amazing graphics". Demon's Souls is the kind of game that brings back memories of playing it every time you hear the name, and that's the true measure of a great game IMO.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 03:24 AM   #15
Bah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd View Post
Demon souls.....hooooleeeeey ****!

these guys have seriously never played an mmo? "oh hey, I got summoned and took pot shots at this giant, neither one of us knew wtf we were doing..but we killed it some how! Then I got kicked back to my world, no loot, and like he sent me a tell GG!" vs "me and 24 other of my close friends (or they could be complete nobodies) just ran through this epic dungion in icecrown, dude this boss with this BAD ASS axe just wails on us! We quickly put together a stratagy to follow, beat him, and got phat lewts!"

I like how they didn't cover gameplay, cause its crap. story? haha!
Lol, you again with comparing single player games to MMOs. And are you seriously saying that WoW should be GotY?

Get over it already.
Bah! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 07:35 AM   #16
Lfctony

Poor choice IMHO. Demon's Souls is decent, but far from GOTY... Dragon Age is better, Uncharted 2 is better, AC2 is better. And I'm talking mere enjoyment here. Not type etc. As a whole...

All I can think of when going back to the "great" times of Demon's Souls is annoying... That's its biggest characteristic. I think "amazing" about U2, "amazing" about AC2, "epic" for DA. "Annoying" for Demon's Souls...
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 08:18 AM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Never played it, can't really comment. When I get my PS3 back I will grab it and see then, but personally I would be surprised if I like it THAT much. The kind of RPGs I like is just not the kind of RPG Demon's Souls is, from what I know about it.

I also thought Killzone 2 was very overrated, there were probably 10 FPS games I would put on that list before Killzone 2.

These GotY awards really mean nothing, it is just the opinion of one small group or even one person.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 08:58 AM   #18
ViN86

Great game. GOTY material? Probably not. But hell, I have 40+ hours in it and I am still playing it
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-09, 02:08 PM   #19
ralinn
Masters

It's only an opinion O.o

My personal GOTY would be either UC2 or Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Sorry, I'm a sucker for 2D games also).

3Dmark06 Score: Who the **** actually cares?
360 & PSN ID: ralinn
ralinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 12:06 AM   #20
MowTin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I like the conversation they have about the game

I am almost intrigued to buy this bastard, except I already have so many other games to play
Same here. After that review I'm interested in it but I still have games to finish.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-09, 01:23 AM   #21
ViN86

Quote:

I am almost intrigued to buy this bastard, except I already have so many other games to play
Do it, it's an AWESOME game. I have a second character that is only about a level 32. Let me know if you get it, I will play some co-op with you.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 03:19 AM   #22
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Heh, that's interesting. I got Demon's Soul for Christmas. Hooray. Now I have to wait one more week until I get home where PS3 is at so I can play... before school starts again.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 12:57 AM   #23
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

It's not even out in AU? ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 10:08 PM   #24
CaptnStubing

Quote:

Rent it. I'm gonna rent it just from the small review in this thread. I saw this game on the shelves but never payed attention to it. I love stumbling upon good games like this.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote