Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-07-10, 11:00 AM   #37
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09 View Post
OK cool I'll try that. I ended up making a knight and got the Brushwood Armor and Purple Flame Shield, which is nice to have in 2-1, but his dex is pretty low and my equip burden is very high (I did get the strength ring near the dragon roost in 1-1 though which helps a lot). He can't really move very well with this armor on though so I was thinking of switching to something a bit less restrictive, but for now it seems to be working as I have yet to die. Anyway I'll throw some points in dex for sure, thanks for all the tips.
No problem

We should play together sometime. Stubs should play with us too.

EDIT: I just realized that I have the Chinese version so if you guys have the American version I can't play online with you
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 11:21 AM   #38
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur
 
Mr. Hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,294
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
I just cleared that area why clear it again? I don't mind some kind of punishment for dying but why reset a map? That has never made sense to me. Reclearing the stuff you just killed doesn't make you better. All you are doing is just memorizing the map.

My biggest problem is why am I in this map? Can I sell the equipment I pick up or do I just store it or drop it? I know vendors use sould as currency If that is the case why pick up so many garbage items? I guess you just pick up what is usefull and drop the rest. Maybe I'm just used to items being sold for currency.

Any way the game is a bit better than I thought at first. One thing I will say is this game has to be from the people who made a game I absolutely loved, Kindsfield. It has the exact same feel and style of play.

I am not completely counting this game out yet. I'm giving it a shot but I am far from sold on it as of right now. I just don't get the purpose of going into the archstone areas. I am frustrated because I really want to like this game.
What should the penalty be for dying then? If you simply lost all of your souls, but the stuff you cleared out already was still cleared out, then wtf was the penalty?

Also, the fact that they respawn when you die helps you farm souls easily in 4-2 lol.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 11:44 AM   #39
CaptnStubing
Registered User
 
CaptnStubing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,714
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt View Post
What should the penalty be for dying then? If you simply lost all of your souls, but the stuff you cleared out already was still cleared out, then wtf was the penalty?

Also, the fact that they respawn when you die helps you farm souls easily in 4-2 lol.
Plenty of games don't have this. If you want to have a timer on the respawning fine but resetting everything is stupid. You can have your gear broken as it seems to do. And don't bring up the realism argument. In real life there aren't people running around with swords killing draggons and when you kill something in real life it stays dead. It doesn't reset. LOL!

The problem is this RPG has a maze you need to go through. It isn't open. So you have to go from point A to point B. Many RPGs have multiple directs you can go and ways to avoid the mobs to get back to you gear or what ever you left when you died. Many others have this type of penalty which I have never liked.

BTW I'm not into farming. Never have been in MMOs either.

The resetting of the map and having to fight all the way through to get back to where you were is a small gripe of mine. I can live with that. The biggest complaint is what am I in the map to do? Is it just to farm souls to get to my body? It just doesn't seem to have a purpose to going into the maps. Maybe I'm missing something. As I said I am warming up to the game and will give it more time and maybe it will all explain its self to me. We shall see.

Cany any one confirm if this is part of the Kingsfield game franchise? I am willing to bet REAL fake money it is.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 11:54 AM   #40
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
Plenty of games don't have this. If you want to have a timer on the respawning fine but resetting everything is stupid. You can have your gear broken as it seems to do. And don't bring up the realism argument. In real life there aren't people running around with swords killing draggons and when you kill something in real life it stays dead. It doesn't reset. LOL!

The problem is this RPG has a maze you need to go through. It isn't open. So you have to go from point A to point B. Many RPGs have multiple directs you can go and ways to avoid the mobs to get back to you gear or what ever you left when you died. Many others have this type of penalty which I have never liked.

BTW I'm not into farming. Never have been in MMOs either.

The resetting of the map and having to fight all the way through to get back to where you were is a small gripe of mine. I can live with that. The biggest complaint is what am I in the map to do? Is it just to farm souls to get to my body? It just doesn't seem to have a purpose to going into the maps. Maybe I'm missing something. As I said I am warming up to the game and will give it more time and maybe it will all explain its self to me. We shall see.

Cany any one confirm if this is part of the Kingsfield game franchise? I am willing to bet REAL fake money it is.
If you don't farm in this game you won't get anywhere. It's not possible to level up as much as you need to by simply playing through the game.

And did you read my post? The Monumental in the beginning (after you beat 1-1, the first level) explains what you have to do. Have you finished 1-1 yet? You need to beat 1-1 before you understand the storyline.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 12:16 PM   #41
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy
 
Ninjaman09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Jowjah
Posts: 6,687
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
The resetting of the map and having to fight all the way through to get back to where you were is a small gripe of mine. I can live with that. The biggest complaint is what am I in the map to do? Is it just to farm souls to get to my body? It just doesn't seem to have a purpose to going into the maps. Maybe I'm missing something. As I said I am warming up to the game and will give it more time and maybe it will all explain its self to me. We shall see.
Each area has a boss to kill, which is the object. It seems like you haven't finished the first area yet, but once you kill the boss you revive and can enter the other areas. The game is set up like levels, there are 5 archstones with 4 sub-areas in each one. You use the Nexus to dump souls into upgrades and level-ups, then go into the zones and kill the boss in each sub-area. Eventually you finish them all and beat the game.
__________________
Core i7 920 @ 3.2 | ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
6GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 RAM
eVGA GTX 570 SC | Auzen X-Fi Prelude 7.1
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 12:26 PM   #42
CaptnStubing
Registered User
 
CaptnStubing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,714
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
If you don't farm in this game you won't get anywhere. It's not possible to level up as much as you need to by simply playing through the game.
Yeah I don't like the idea of farming. That is what the Koreans do. They use farming as a means to hide a lack of content.

Quote:
And did you read my post? The Monumental in the beginning (after you beat 1-1, the first level) explains what you have to do. Have you finished 1-1 yet? You need to beat 1-1 before you understand the storyline.
Yeah that is why I am haning in here with this game. I have the feeling it gets better. I just don't see the point yet but as you say it moves into the story once I beat the first boss and end the first level.

I'm giving it a try. I want this to be good. I love the look of the game, the combat system. I just need to give it time to unfold. This isn't the first time I have done this with a game. There have been many games I didn't like or get at first but later became addicted to it.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 12:32 PM   #43
ViN86
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 15,486
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
Yeah I don't like the idea of farming. That is what the Koreans do. They use farming as a means to hide a lack of content.


Yea I can see what you're saying, but honestly it's not too bad. And when you start getting towards Soul Level 100, you see that the stats and farming really pay off.

Quote:
Yeah that is why I am haning in here with this game. I have the feeling it gets better. I just don't see the point yet but as you say it moves into the story once I beat the first boss and end the first level.

I'm giving it a try. I want this to be good. I love the look of the game, the combat system. I just need to give it time to unfold. This isn't the first time I have done this with a game. There have been many games I didn't like or get at first but later became addicted to it.
Yea, I admit the game is extremely confusing at first. Because at first you're in some random level that's impossible (although I guess some people have beaten that first boss lol) then you get thrown into 1-1 and you still have no idea what's going on.

But once you beat 1-1, you meet the Monumental and he explains what's going on (you have to go to the top of the Nexus to meet him, he has the lit candle in front of him, remember that).
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 12:45 PM   #44
CaptnStubing
Registered User
 
CaptnStubing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,714
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

I was right. This is basically a Kingsfield game. I knew it felt so familiar.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-10, 12:48 PM   #45
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demon's_Souls

I was right. This is basically a Kingsfield game. I knew it felt so familiar.
Yeah, I was about to reply to your question. Back when the game was first annouced I mentioned the fact.

EDIT:
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...86#post1796586

you even responded to the thread...
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 12:58 PM   #46
CaptnStubing
Registered User
 
CaptnStubing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,714
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Yeah, I was about to reply to your question. Back when the game was first annouced I mentioned the fact.

EDIT:
http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthre...86#post1796586

you even responded to the thread...
That is why I thought of Kingsfield right off the. For some reason I just don't remember anything about this game. Oh well.

I'm gonna give it a full evening tonight. I will say when I smash a mob with the bastard sword I got it is very satisfying. hehe. Yeah it's still a low end weapon but it's better than what I started with.

One thing I will say is this game is not nearly as slow as Kingsfield. I do like that.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 02:37 PM   #47
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur
 
Mr. Hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,294
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnStubing View Post
Plenty of games don't have this. If you want to have a timer on the respawning fine but resetting everything is stupid. You can have your gear broken as it seems to do. And don't bring up the realism argument. In real life there aren't people running around with swords killing draggons and when you kill something in real life it stays dead. It doesn't reset. LOL!

The problem is this RPG has a maze you need to go through. It isn't open. So you have to go from point A to point B. Many RPGs have multiple directs you can go and ways to avoid the mobs to get back to you gear or what ever you left when you died. Many others have this type of penalty which I have never liked.

BTW I'm not into farming. Never have been in MMOs either.

The resetting of the map and having to fight all the way through to get back to where you were is a small gripe of mine. I can live with that. The biggest complaint is what am I in the map to do? Is it just to farm souls to get to my body? It just doesn't seem to have a purpose to going into the maps. Maybe I'm missing something. As I said I am warming up to the game and will give it more time and maybe it will all explain its self to me. We shall see.

Cany any one confirm if this is part of the Kingsfield game franchise? I am willing to bet REAL fake money it is.
WTF brought realism into this?

And no, this is not part of the Kingsfield series, but IIRC it was made by some of the same people (I very well could be wrong on this).
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-10, 02:45 PM   #48
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur
 
Mr. Hunt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 8,294
Default Re: Gamespot's game of the year is...

Ok, just read through the rest of the thread lol. Saw the Kingsfield part was already mentioned. But whatever...

Stubing... Be sure to search the first area very well, because there is a ring there (Cling Ring) that will let you have 75% of your health while in spirit form and that is a huge benefit to have while in soul form.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.