Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-09, 03:50 PM   #13
Dragoran

Default Re: Huge performance boost with 195.30 and KDE 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
I should mention that it works not only on GT200, but the entire GT200 family of processors, including Ion.
OK, didn't know that the Ion is considered to be part of the "GT200 family" (I assume every card named "GT2xx" falls into this category as well) ... you should talk to the marketing department to come up with less confusing naming
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 05:55 PM   #14
zbiggy

Just one question about AccelerateTrapezoids: Is Geforce 8200 considered a member of GT200 family of processors?

I tried: nvidia-settings -a AccelerateTrapezoids=1
and result is:
Code:
  Attribute 'AccelerateTrapezoids' (localhost:0.0) assigned value 1.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 06:56 PM   #15
mgsfan

I also get the ERROR: Error assigning value 1 to attribute 'AccelerateTrapezoids' (linux-03f3:0.0) as specified in assignment
'AccelerateTrapezoids=1' (Unknown Error) when trying todo nvidia-settings -a AccelerateTrapezoids=1 and I'm running a nvidia gt 240
mgsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 07:58 PM   #16
zbiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefirstm View Post
Just out of curiosity, what graphic problem does it cause? I was under the impression that all 2D rendering on 8x00 and up was done by the 3D processor, and all of the =>8x00 cards are OpenGL 3, so it seems like they should have basically the same feature set.
It looks Nvidia devs are now exploring new features which silently appears on new GPU cores. See VDPAU sets A, B and recent C with divx/vidx accelertation. divx/xvid acceleration did not appeared now just because someone have spare time to code support for it but because new core appeared with improved video engine which now is extended to support MPEG-4 ASP which is core of xvid/divx file format. The same is with trapezoids. Older GPUs are too primitive to support trapezoids well it looks.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 04:51 AM   #17
drhirsch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
Well that's good, but why can't older GPUs accelerate KDE4 smooth enough?
As I stated at the very beginning, I have an "older" G92 with a somewhat bigger desktop (3200x1200). I have never bothered with "AcceleratedTrapezoids" and my KDE4 desktop just flies now.

Besides, there was a time, not so long ago, when newer chips were way slower than older ones... Does anybody remember non accelerated sub pixel hinting?
drhirsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 07:52 AM   #18
thefirstm

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhirsch View Post
As I stated at the very beginning, I have an "older" G92 with a somewhat bigger desktop (3200x1200). I have never bothered with "AcceleratedTrapezoids" and my KDE4 desktop just flies now.

Besides, there was a time, not so long ago, when newer chips were way slower than older ones... Does anybody remember non accelerated sub pixel hinting?
Oh, yes. I definitely remember that. It was the reason that I was forced to stay with Micro$oft Window$ on my laptop until the 180.xx drivers came out. Ever since then, my PC has been single-boot Linux.
thefirstm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 04:52 PM   #19
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhirsch View Post

Window resizing is still poor, yet XRender is much, much smoother for window resizing. How OpenGL compositing can be so sluggish with window resizing is beyond me.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 07:09 PM   #20
mooninite

edit: delete me.
mooninite is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-09, 04:48 AM   #21
DeiF

Disabling the composite extension does improve window resizing a lot.
With composite however I can't feel significant improvements.
DeiF is offline   Reply With Quote