Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-27-09, 08:19 PM   #1
zbiggy

Default 195.30 driver: Lightspeed 2D acceleration finally available

Congratulations Nvidia Linux Driver Developers
Driver 195.30 provides incredible boost in 2D acceleration. My KDE4.3.4 desktop just fly.
Thanks for good work. And all this on slow by design integrated GPU Geforce 8200.
xrender benchmark which previously took hours to finish now finishes in few seconds.
In attachment there are the results for Geforce 8200.
Here are best accelerated operations:

Code:
Test: PictOpConjointDst                                                                                                                       
                 Plain............................................ Time: 0,000 sec.                                                           
                 Plain With Alpha................................. Time: 0,000 sec.                                                           
                 Transformation................................... Time: 0,000 sec.                                                           
                 Transformation/Bilinear filter................... Time: 0,000 sec. 

Test: PictOpDst                                                                    
                 Plain............................................ Time: 0,001 sec.
                 Plain With Alpha................................. Time: 0,001 sec.
                 Transformation................................... Time: 0,001 sec.
                 Transformation/Bilinear filter................... Time: 0,001 sec.

Test: PictOpOverReverse                                                            
                 Plain............................................ Time: 0,001 sec.
                 Plain With Alpha................................. Time: 0,001 sec.
                 Transformation................................... Time: 0,001 sec.
                 Transformation/Bilinear filter................... Time: 0,001 sec.
Test: PictOpDisjointDst                                                                                                                       
Test: PictOpConjointDst                                                                                                                       
Attached Files
File Type: txt xrender_full_results.txt (13.5 KB, 99 views)
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 08:32 PM   #2
ledoc

Default Re: 195.30 driver: Lightspeed 2D acceleration finally available

Why do you create a new thread while there is one with exactly the same topic??
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-09, 08:44 PM   #3
zbiggy

I focused on progress measured by xrender benchmark. The other topic focuses on personal feelings and general comments on 2D improvements. I provided results for integrated 8200 GPU. It would be interesting to see how it compares to discrete GT2xx family.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 01:36 AM   #4
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Try my modified version of xrenderbenchmark. It adds a convolution test, which the driver also accelerates (though it may not be particularly fast on an 8200).
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 07:48 AM   #5
DeiF

I tried Aaron's code. Never tried other benchmarks.
This is what I get:
Code:
xrenderbenchmark version 1.0.2-agp1
X Server from: The X.Org Foundation, Release: 10605000
        Xrender version: 0.10
---------------------------------------------
X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
  Major opcode of failed request:  152 (RENDER)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  30 (RenderSetPictureFilter)
  Serial number of failed request:  102
  Current serial number in output stream:  103
I can see briefly a window with a picture, then the window closes.

Also I can't see the performance improvements everybody talks about. I'm using KDE 4.3.1 (openSUSE 11.2) and resizing Konsole is slow as always.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (42.4 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by DeiF; 12-28-09 at 07:49 AM. Reason: nvidia-bug-report wasn't attached for some reason
DeiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 12:25 PM   #6
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

There's a bug in older versions of libXrender that prevents RenderSetPictureFilter from working correctly on 64-bit platforms. You'll need to upgrade it or use a 32-bit version.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 02:48 PM   #7
DeiF

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
There's a bug in older versions of libXrender that prevents RenderSetPictureFilter from working correctly on 64-bit platforms. You'll need to upgrade it or use a 32-bit version.
Thanks. I applied this patch to libXrender and now I'm able to run the tests (attached).
I'm filing a bug to my distro now.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 tests.txt.bz2 (3.0 KB, 80 views)
DeiF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 04:19 PM   #8
j0n

Fedora Rawhide (13) x86_64
KDE 4.4 beta with active Composite
GeForce GTX 260
Attached Files
File Type: gz tests_gtx260.tar.gz (4.5 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by j0n; 12-28-09 at 06:58 PM. Reason: correct wrong symbol of 64-bit architecture & add more info
j0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-28-09, 05:48 PM   #9
Sean_W

If it doesn't come to any other series of GPUs other than the 200 series, it's worthless.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 11:24 PM   #10
Plagman
NVIDIA Corporation

The RENDER Composite acceleration improvements discussed in this thread (as benchmarked by xrenderbenchmark) are available on all of the GeForce 8, 9 and GTX series, as illustrated by the OP who uses a Geforce 8200.
Plagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-09, 11:56 PM   #11
damentz

The coincidence between an nvidia ion netbook + this driver is strong.

I suppose this is how nvidia puts matters in their own hands when intel delivers an under-performing low wattage x86 chip for netbooks and slim laptops

Just a poke, but thanks a lot nvidia, my laptop feels so much more responsive under KDE4 now.
damentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-09, 06:25 AM   #12
Dragoran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
If it doesn't come to any other series of GPUs other than the 200 series, it's worthless.
This was only about the Trapezoid acceleration, everything else should work on G80+ as Plagman said.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote