HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 05:32 PM   #1323
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Default Re: Official Screenshot Thread 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
Nothing beats bad performance of Crysis
Lol nah, i know many games today that is even more heavily driven than crysis. Crysis isn't that demanding anymore, not with todays prices, what i mean is when u can run crysis on highest settings including AA with a gtx 460 for about $160 with decent framerates i wouldn't call the case what youre calling it.
Old 10-15-10, 06:01 PM   #1324
Sean_W

I'd actually agree with that. Civ5 is very demanding and although it's a different game entirely, point is, it runs slower than Crysis on my hardware, especially in DX10 mode.

I like DX10 mode better though and for me, it's worth it because Civ5 looks much better in DX10 mode. DX9 looks bland.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 09:44 PM   #1325
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Yeah and i can make a loong list of games i've been struggeling on highest graphics, I passed that part with crysis since i bought my gtx 295, runs totally smooth if u just don't set the AA level too high, cuz there so much trees and objects in crysis that AA is applied to when activated, alot less than say rendering a room in any other game. So how demanding a game is depends on several things, mainly how many polygons and tris that is rendered at the same time. Remember Oblivion? It was one of the most demanding games when it came, even 8800GTX had trouble keeping the frames up when pushing settings up including HDR+AA which was possible on the G80 architecture. And ofc, oblivion... vast open areas and scenes, lots of vegetation and forests going on also this combined with the new and by it's time advanced gamebyro engine. Say, remake Cod4 in Cryengine2, i think it wouldn't be that much a difference, not on todays hardware anyway.

I can make a loooong list of games worse than crysis when it comes to performance, am not gonna do it now but i can mention one example of a recent game:

Am talking about MafiaII, i mean the game looks good thats true, but mainly because of it's atmosphere and when everything is put together, when going down to the details textures aint that highres, the details of a non-story character may not be as good, Still with this game, i had alot of performance problems even on my system with quadcore, 4gb ram and the 295. The fps went down to the 25ish sometimes down as low as 20 and up at some points. Let's take BC2 for another good example. Also this game i have lots of performance issues with, even with graphics on medium, but i know it's my quadcore.. it's not an i7, but from the Q9 series and 3ghz.

Should a game be bashed for it's performance only when it's the GPU that is the limit? BC2, which of the CPU requirements are pretty high. I'd say bc2 is alot worse optimized than crysis, because the requirements of fast core i CPU's, u can run crysis fine on a 70 dollar dual-core and with a gfx card for 160... That's not the case for BC2, still ppl are more often bitching over crysis being bad optimized and a "computer killer" etc etc.. I see it differently.
Old 10-15-10, 10:00 PM   #1326
Sean_W

GTA IV being the biggest in my view game that even now runs like crap on a lot of machines. There are many comments in the GTA IV forums about how Crysis runs better.
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 08:00 AM   #1327
Logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetdjuret View Post
Yeah and i can make a loong list of games i've been struggeling on highest graphics, I passed that part with crysis since i bought my gtx 295, runs totally smooth if u just don't set the AA level too high, cuz there so much trees and objects in crysis that AA is applied to when activated, alot less than say rendering a room in any other game. So how demanding a game is depends on several things, mainly how many polygons and tris that is rendered at the same time. Remember Oblivion? It was one of the most demanding games when it came, even 8800GTX had trouble keeping the frames up when pushing settings up including HDR+AA which was possible on the G80 architecture. And ofc, oblivion... vast open areas and scenes, lots of vegetation and forests going on also this combined with the new and by it's time advanced gamebyro engine. Say, remake Cod4 in Cryengine2, i think it wouldn't be that much a difference, not on todays hardware anyway.

I can make a loooong list of games worse than crysis when it comes to performance, am not gonna do it now but i can mention one example of a recent game:

Am talking about MafiaII, i mean the game looks good thats true, but mainly because of it's atmosphere and when everything is put together, when going down to the details textures aint that highres, the details of a non-story character may not be as good, Still with this game, i had alot of performance problems even on my system with quadcore, 4gb ram and the 295. The fps went down to the 25ish sometimes down as low as 20 and up at some points. Let's take BC2 for another good example. Also this game i have lots of performance issues with, even with graphics on medium, but i know it's my quadcore.. it's not an i7, but from the Q9 series and 3ghz.

Should a game be bashed for it's performance only when it's the GPU that is the limit? BC2, which of the CPU requirements are pretty high. I'd say bc2 is alot worse optimized than crysis, because the requirements of fast core i CPU's, u can run crysis fine on a 70 dollar dual-core and with a gfx card for 160... That's not the case for BC2, still ppl are more often bitching over crysis being bad optimized and a "computer killer" etc etc.. I see it differently.
For the most part your right, but also you have to consider that a lot of 'ports' are badly optimised for PC. Today it is quite hard to judge a games hardware demand because of how bad the optimisation of the port is. If a game was built ground up only for PC and optimised for PC making use of multi core CPU's and todays latest GPU's i would expect performance of the said game to be very good indeed.

Crysis isn't a good example of this because the dev's tried to optimise it at low fps just so lower end machines could run it...i still haven't seen that game running on maxed settings over 60fps.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-10, 12:00 PM   #1328
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Crysis isn't a good example of this because the dev's tried to optimise it at low fps just so lower end machines could run it...i still haven't seen that game running on maxed settings over 60fps.
I see no problem to run crysis on lower end machine if you just lower the settings enough. That's why i think Crysis is flexible, u can run it on alot of machines thanks to it the fact that it's not that CPU dependent. If u have a half-crappy CPU and also a half-crappy GPU u can still lower settings and enjoy the game. In GTA for example if u have a half-bad CPU u wont get good frames even if u lower the settings because of the pure limitation inside the CPU.

I've seen several examples of ppl running crysis maxed with 60fps or more, but ofc it will require a beefy system and not unlike games like metro and stalker also require alot of power when AA has joined the scene.

Old 10-17-10, 12:25 PM   #1329
marcelus

DOOM 3 - PerfectedDoom 3 v.5.0.0 config

marcelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-10, 06:57 PM   #1330
Soetdjuret
Teh lazy swede

marcelus! Use the High-res texture pack for doom3 (doom3world.org) Also the Brilliant highlights mod, just google it or find it at d3files... Also remember u can use Supersampling on all older games thanks to them not being to demanding in the first place. I use 2x2 SSAA+Brilliant highlights and it looks phenomenal. Ofc supersampling requires either any nvidia card+nhancer in conjunction with drivers older than the 2xx.xx series forceware or the radeon 5 series.

There is also a working beta which gives you DoF, Mblur, Soft-shadows, God-rays, soft-edge particles, precise HDR and colorgrading, making doom3 looking better than dead space or most new games of similar environments.
Old 10-18-10, 03:28 AM   #1331
marcelus

Soetdjuret_perfected doom mod contains new hi res menu, hi res textures new textures,motion blur,bloom,self shadows. and all text is in high resolution.All objects makes real time shadows. This is good mod. Is better for me because i have ATI card and hi res mod dont work good for me ...
(sorry for my english. I am from Slovakia)
marcelus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-10, 06:30 AM   #1332
jlippo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soetdjuret View Post
I use 2x2 SSAA+Brilliant highlights and it looks phenomenal. Ofc supersampling requires either any nvidia card+nhancer in conjunction with drivers older than the 2xx.xx series forceware or the radeon 5 series.
Just noticed that with 4xx series you can force MSAA samples into SSAA samples on any AA-mode.

This means that new champion of ridiculous quality AA mode is the 32xSSAA..
(32x mixed mode with MSAA samples forced to SSAA)
jlippo is offline   Reply With Quote