Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-10, 04:26 PM   #37
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: The most stable operating system ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_W View Post
That's assuming you can even install Windows 7. According to Microsoft, the biggest issue with Windows 7 was and is, install failures.
It may have been, I haven't checked the numbers. But considering that the overall level of issues with Windows 7 is, as a percentage of users, appearing to be significantly lower than previous releases. If the install is the issue (again, users are a big reason for many install fails), I see that as a win.

Quote:
To me Windows 7 is no more stable than any other Windows OS. I've never had to worry about stability in Linux and have had years and years of solid stability from it.
What the hell do you use your computer for? Do you have a checked/debug build?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 04:28 PM   #38
Redeemed

Quote:
That's assuming you can even install Windows 7. According to Microsoft, the biggest issue with Windows 7 was and is, install failures.

To me Windows 7 is no more stable than any other Windows OS. I've never had to worry about stability in Linux and have had years and years of solid stability from it.
To each their own then.

I'd wager that many of the failures for install lie between the keyboard and chair. Working as close to the general public as I do I can guarantee many people try to install it on their own. For anybody here installing an OS is incredibly easy- but for the average joe whom doesn't understand the lingo it isn't so easy.

So many times we've had customers purchasing a copy of Vista and now 7, trying to load it on their computers that are barely able to run XP- then complaining that the OS wouldn't load on their rig and wanting their money back.

Or they install it- but then wonder why their audio doesn't work or VGA isn't functioning properly- having no idea what the concept of a driver is let alone how to install one or where to find them.

And doing these things is far easier under Windows than any Linux distro I've ever used. As such, trying to get the general populace to use Linux would be a failure of such epic proportions the human might cannot fathom it's magnitude.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 04:29 PM   #39
Capt. Picard

Quote:
I've never had to worry about stability in Linux and have had years and years of solid stability from it.
One don't worry about Linux. One worry about the drivers, application compatibility, lack of user friendliness ... etc.
Old 01-02-10, 04:46 PM   #40
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
Let they're a cakewalk under any Linux distro!
yap everything is so much easier under linux
Old 01-02-10, 04:55 PM   #41
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
yap everything is so much easier under linux
Well, it won't be long before you'll be needing to look for drivers and constantly update them with Windows 7.

New chipset drivers, Intel, nForce, sound drivers updates. It's just the same thing you had to do in previous Windows' versions. Hence this thread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=142664
Sean_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 05:20 PM   #42
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Well, it won't be long before you'll be needing to look for drivers and constantly update them with Windows 7.

New chipset drivers, Intel, nForce, sound drivers updates. It's just the same thing you had to do in previous Windows' versions.
and your point is? every operating system needs drivers for hardware.

Quote:
users lack of knoledge and ignorance nothing new
Old 01-02-10, 05:27 PM   #43
Sean_W

The point is; It's the same old ****.

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure you were always a Windows expert and you treated other users with such arrogance.

I could extend the same arrogance to you and say; Users like you lack the knowledge of other operating systems, which makes you stupid. Hypothetically speaking of course.
Old 01-02-10, 05:54 PM   #44
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
The point is; It's the same old ****.

Yeah, yeah, I'm sure you were always a Windows expert and you treated other users with such arrogance.

I could extend the same arrogance to you and say; Users like you lack the knowledge of other operating systems, which makes you stupid. Hypothetically speaking of course.
He could try and be a little more civil, undoubtedly.

But that doesn't change the fact that he is right in that it is typically user errors that lead to issues.

Honestly Sean, do you expect people who have an issue installing the appropriate driver for a windows system to fare better using a Linux distro?

Before you throw out the "stupid" label at others, might want to ponder that for a bit. There is a reason companies still use certain OS's and it is directly related to TCO. If everyone made their acquisitions based on TCO instead of up-front costs, the world would be a better place.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-10, 06:04 PM   #45
Sean_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
He could try and be a little more civil, undoubtedly.

But that doesn't change the fact that he is right in that it is typically user errors that lead to issues.

Honestly Sean, do you expect people who have an issue installing the appropriate driver for a windows system to fare better using a Linux distro?

Before you throw out the "stupid" label at others, might want to ponder that for a bit. There is a reason companies still use certain OS's and it is directly related to TCO. If everyone made their acquisitions based on TCO instead of up-front costs, the world would be a better place.
Well the point is with Linux, drivers come with the kernel out of the box, unless you need some proprietary binary which Linux distros provide in an easy way now days.

I was speaking "hypothetically" and didn't I call him stupid.
Old 01-02-10, 07:38 PM   #46
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

For me Win7 is also the most stable O.S. I have ever used. Don't think I have seen a single error or crash that wasn't my own fault
Old 01-02-10, 10:00 PM   #47
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

been using it for about 7 months now since the beta days and now im on the final pro edition... only 1 bsod which was caused by photoshop so far... no other errors or problems whatsoever... then again i never had any bsod with vista sp1 and i had that for about 6 months
BFG GTX 280 OC2 1GB @ 729/1512/2538
Dell 2405FPW 24"
3DMark: Vantage - P15397 | 06 - 18734
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 10:20 PM   #48
FearMeAll

I've had no blue screens since xp...well...not from the OS. All of mine have been directly linked to overclocking ram. Everytime I run at default clocks..no more screens of death.

My main office rig hasn't had one screen of death by the time I got windows 7 because my clocks were stable by that point. Very happy.
[FONT="Courier New"] HTPC: Intel Wolfdale 3ghz, 4 gigs DDR2 800 ram, 500gig HDD, Craptastic 7600GS, Windows 7 32bit, XBMC installed [/FONT] :D
[B]My Video Encoding/Office rig:[/B] [I] Intel QX9650 @ 3ghz, 1333mhz FSB, 4gigs Patriot Extreme DDR3 @ 1333mhz, XFX 790i 3-way Sli mobo, Xf-Fi Extreme Gamer, 400watt Fanless Power Supply, 9500GT 64-bit bus(ouch!), 8.750TB HDD, Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate. [B][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Everything at stock and completely boring..[/FONT][/B][/I] :type:
FearMeAll is offline   Reply With Quote