Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-10, 05:34 AM   #1
HiCZoK4

Default I was considering psp.

First I was thinking of Xbox360 again(I had one). Then I realized I should better get PS3 for exclusives. Now I am considering PSP. It is cheaper. portable etc etc etc. And I dont spend much time home anyway.

What pros and cons do it have?
Would You recommend it?
How long does the battery stand?

I would use it for movies(from hdd not umd disc), web browsing and games. What good games does it have?

Edit: Title fail- I "am" not was
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 09:40 AM   #2
Destroy

Default Re: I was considering psp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
First I was thinking of Xbox360 again(I had one). Then I realized I should better get PS3 for exclusives. Now I am considering PSP. It is cheaper. portable etc etc etc. And I don't spend much time home anyway.

Would You recommend it?

I would use it for movies(from hdd not umd disc), web browsing and games. What good games does it have?

I own a 2000 and like it a bunch. It's perfect for times like now when I'm burned out of my PC and larger consoles and want something different. Currently playing tons of Gran Turismo, Chinatown Wars, Ass Creed Bloodlines and Tony Hawk 2 Remix; just a few excellent games I'm really liking that look and play great.

Browsing on PSP is rather poor only because it's painfully slow and can only really have 1 full web page open at a time. You can open multiple windows to read while other page loads in background but only really if you disable images. Other than that, browser does a solid job. Movies and music are good, don't do much of them however.

Battery life from full charge to safety auto-shut down from dead battery is about 3.5-4hrs of gaming for me.

2 other things, I've ordered a grip cause with my large adult hands and the tons of time I'm spending on it lately is really killing my fingers and hands. Lastly, be sure and read up on the Go version before you buy. Many complaining about lack of titles for it and can't get deals on games i.e. used/older UMD for dirt cheap.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 03:54 AM   #3
HiCZoK4

Nice. How about durability? Is analog stick going to break after time or is it eather durable? And what protective cases I can get? Not for playing but for moving it in backpack.

Ohhh and Are there only demos on psn?
Old 01-03-10, 05:45 AM   #4
MowTin

Quote:
First I was thinking of Xbox360 again(I had one). Then I realized I should better get PS3 for exclusives. Now I am considering PSP. It is cheaper. portable etc etc etc. And I dont spend much time home anyway.

Would You recommend it?

Unless you have a long daily commute get a PS3. Uncharted 1 & 2 and God of War III are just 2 exclusives you won't want to miss.

PS3 | Xbox 360
MowTin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 06:36 AM   #5
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

The new PSP Go has a real tv-out. .... that makes me wanna buy one and use it as a go-anywhere console.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 06:37 AM   #6
HiCZoK4

And now You made me thinking again
And as for ps3. Slim or Old ? the price is nearly the same but would go for cheapest if its not any worse
Old 01-03-10, 02:06 PM   #7
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Slim has a bigger HDD no? As for PSP, as much as I hate to say it. DS is probably the better hand held. Nintendo always drop the ball with consoles, but hand helds is what they do best.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 03:03 PM   #8
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragejg View Post
The new PSP Go has a real tv-out. .... that makes me wanna buy one and use it as a go-anywhere console.
Not sure what you mean exactly by 'real' but the 2000 and 3000 also have video outs.

Quote:
Nice. How about durability? Is analog stick going to break after time or is it eather durable? And what protective cases I can get? Not for playing but for moving it in backpack.

Ohhh and Are there only demos on psn?
I'd say it's as durable an any other electronic device. I just use the foam cloth sheath that came with it for protection in my backpack. Nub is solid, would have to abuse it a lot to break it. Some demos but could definitely use more. MGS Peace Walker is an outstanding new demo, should be awesome game.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R

Old 01-04-10, 02:13 AM   #9
Zelda_fan

Quote:
If your primary purpose is not gaming, I would get an iPhone (or iTouch if you don't want the contract). It can do all that stuff a lot better than the PSP, plus there is a decent selection of games for it too. You'll also save money as the games are a lot cheaper (I don't think there are any games over $9.99).

If gaming is your primary purpose, get a DS. Way better game library. The PSP is pretty much a complete joke imho.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 02:33 PM   #10
HiCZoK4

hmmmmm I am leaning toward handhelds. Itouch is way too expensive here and I hate touch screen!

So its psp 2000vs3000 (becouse 2000 is cheaper)
VS Nintendo DS. I never ever used DS. None of my friends have it. How is it?? Are there any different versions too look on? Its seems its same price as psp2000.
Edit: I think there is DS and DSi and DS lite? ... and again like in psp, DS version is cheaper. But it seems there is much better games selection for psp. Graphical etc psp is better? But watching GTA Chainatown looks nice for DS. How big is screen etc. Damn:P
Old 01-04-10, 03:06 PM   #11
Destroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan View Post

If gaming is your primary purpose, get a DS. Way better game library. The PSP is pretty much a complete joke imho.
Funny, I was going to post the exact opposite. Sooo much kiddie, simplistic, goofy trash on the DS where as PSP is much more geared towards a standard PS2 type player. DS is impressive due to its input and dual, albeit lesser quality screens.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
Old 01-04-10, 03:40 PM   #12
HiCZoK4

Im think I am heading towards psp. 1000vs2000vs3000
If differences arent that importand I will go for price. Still DS lite is cheaper. But I guess playing GTA VC on psp must be awesome