Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-02-10, 02:09 PM   #1
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Send a message via MSN to Crow_Nest
Default Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PC)

Has anyone tried this out yet? Im surprised there isnt a thread about the PC port and the game has already been out for a while.

I just tried it and i must say its probably one of the worst star wars games ive ever played. Sure the force powers are cool, but the sluggish framerate, repetitive level design, and cheap graphics are really disappointing. For a PC port, im sure everyone is expecting higher res textures and better graphics, but no, the PC and console versions look exactly the same for this game. In fact i think the PC looks worse due to slow downs and sluggish framerate. There isnt any in-game graphics options as well. (Come on seriously? How lazy can the devs get? Seems like they intended to **** up this port from the start.) Instead the option to set the resolution is done in a launcher prior to running the game, and apart from resolution there isnt any other graphics settings.

Gameplay wise i'd say its OK. Not great, but OK. Its always fun to force grip stormtroopers and toss them around like a ragdoll, something which i always found interesting since JK2 and this has been faithfully recreated and further improved in this game. I also like the idea of upgrading your talents, combos and force powers in RPG style. Kinda like how you upgrade your powers in JA. But apart from the boss fights and the gameplay is very repetitive and uninspired.

All this is just my opinion of course, after the reviews ive read about the console versions, i was thrilled when i first heard this game was going to be ported to the PC together with all the DLC already included. Unfortunately its just another half-assed console port that is better off not being ported over to the PC.
| Hitachi 1TB SATA3 HDD | Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | Cooler Master Silent Pro M 700W |
| Cooler Master Centurion 5 II Casing | Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 |

Laptop : Lenovo IdeaPad Y450
| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce G110M 256MB |
| 4GB DDR3 SDRAM | Western Digital 320GB | 14.1' LED Backlit Screen |

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=73666&dateline=135279  2183
Crow_Nest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 02:14 PM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PC)

http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136361
Old 01-02-10, 02:18 PM   #3
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

The news thread was here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=136361. I think people just used that as a release thread since there was little excitement for the game.

I disagree with your statements on the port, the game stays locked at 30fps for me which is better than the console version did and with AA and AF forced it looks really good to me, one of the strong suits of the game IMO was the graphics and Star Wars look, which it nailed.

Here are some pics I did:

As for gameplay it is just a normal hack n' slash game, nothing more. That genre is not too popular on PC which I am sure is one reason no one got excited for the port (and why I told people when it was not orginally released on PC that they shouldn't care).
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-10, 06:22 PM   #4
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

I enjoy this game so much because it's fun. The story is decent and graphics' excellent. A lot of sharp looking textures and still looks great on PC. Higher resolution makes it look better so some sort of enhancements aren't really needed. While game should be able to run in 60 fps but it's Asypr who didn't uncap it for PC. I think they rushed this port, making game look bad but game itself is great.

IMO, the developer did such a great job creating excellent Star Wars related game (better than half of Star Wars games). I like feeling being so badass with light saber. This isn't supposed to replace Jedi Knight games so I don't see what's a huge fuss about that. Jedi Knight is awesome but to be honest, even with new game that is like Jedi Knight it won't be the same. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 12:08 AM   #5
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Yeah, I think people just hate on this game because it isn't Jedi Knight 3, but it was never supposed to be. It's a God of War style hack-em-up, if you like that genre get it, if you like Star Wars enough to play that genre and look at the pretty graphics, get it... if neither of those are true, pass.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 06:19 AM   #6
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Well i havent got too far into the game to comment on the story, but ive heard many say its awesome so i guess thats the only thing im rooting for now.

| Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 2.2 GHz | NVIDIA GeForce G110M 256MB |

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=73666&dateline=135279  2183
Old 01-03-10, 10:05 AM   #7
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

It is an awesome game imo. I hate the people hung up on Jedi Knight that claim this is garbage just because it's not... Jedi... Knight. Or just like the idiots that keep saying FEAR 2 sucked and FEAR 1 was a lot better. I think our memories get clouded and we remember something being a lot better than it really was. Fear 1 was great at the time. Fear 2 was better at the time.

I wish that they'd remove the 30 FPS cap though, drives me nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 10:53 AM   #8
Crow_Nest
Ace Spammer

Alright after playing a bit more, things are starting to get more interesting. As far as the story goes, that betrayal cutscene was unexpected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I wish that they'd remove the 30 FPS cap though, drives me nuts.
Yeah, even console ports like SF4 and RE5 had options allowing you to cap or uncap the framerate. Its annoying to know that im playing with the latest graphics card and can only get 30 FPS max in a game. Why do we buy graphics cards again?

Old 01-03-10, 11:37 AM   #9
HiCZoK4

Yep I agree.
First saw fear I said meeehhh... 1 was better. But I returned to it after Classic game room HD review and i have to Admit its great and much better actually having great fun.
Watch this reviews on Youtube. Its the only reviewer who actually talk about the game and enjoy em.

About Topic. Will play if they remove 30fps limit
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-10, 01:20 PM   #10
K007

ill take a pass. unless they remove the fps cap.
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 01:11 PM   #11
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

FPS cap it's the worst part, it's the controls and animations that just don't feel right, plus there are a few annoying enemies that you find you'll just throw lightning at because it isn't fun to fight them. ::
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-10, 02:36 PM   #12
Kaguya

Well I picked this up on sale, but not sure how to get AA to work. I tried forcing in nHancer and the screen got all wonky.

Found this below, but not sure how to enable it (when I change the compatibility from a 0 to a 2 using STALKER AA compatibility, it tells me that I have to enter a hex number):

Quote:
AA Confirmed works after modifiying STALKER Profile (f0c1)

0xf2c1

Supported AA Method: Multisampling 2X/4X/8X/16X
Unsupported AA Method: Quincunx All modes
Supersampling & Combined mode not tested

Anyone know if AA works?
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case