Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-10, 03:48 PM   #1
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

Default Is PC Gaming going to die?

What do you guys think? With Epic already gone, id on its way out, and most of the GOTYs are for console exclusives, do you think PC gaming will be revived and prosper, or are we all doomed to buying Xbox and Playstations?

Another question: if PC gaming does die, will the need for super fast hardware die, too?
Intel Core i7 980X Extreme Edition @ 4.00GHz, 2.94GHz uncore| Corsair H60 | ASUS P6X58D-E | Zotac GTX 580 @ 872/1744/2145|Western Digital Caviar Black 1.5TB (Games/Steam)| Seagate 1.5TB (media/misc.) |Seagate 1 TB (OS/Main) | 24 GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1.5V DDR3-1333 | Creative X-Fi Titanium | Sennheiser HD 202 Headset | Dual Gigabit Realtek LAN | Antec True Power Quattro 1200W | Acer G235Hbmbd 23" LCD Display | Logitech K320 Wireless Keyboard | Logitech Performance MX Mouse
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 03:58 PM   #2
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

No. Not with Steam around.

Honestly. Steam has been a breathe of fresh air for PC gaming. All the sales they have. They are getting companies a little money when they would get zero without them.

Whether you like it or not, Steam is PC gaming.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 04:08 PM   #3
CaptnStubing

Gaming in general will change. That is for sure. All media will change how we received and distribute it. I think the PC as we know it will be a house intergrated media center. I know that isn't a strech to see that. We've all seen it coming.
CaptnStubing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 04:12 PM   #4
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody View Post
No. Not with Steam around.

Honestly. Steam has been a breathe of fresh air for PC gaming. All the sales they have. They are getting companies a little money when they would get zero without them.

Whether you like it or not, Steam is PC gaming.
Yeah, PC gamers only buying games for insanely cheap prices while they are already a minority in sales is GREAT for PC gaming.

/sarcasm.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 04:26 PM   #5
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Sadly speaking, the PC gaming industry is like the construction business here, too much dreaming and too much asking for money leads to an implosive effect with an obvious end: death.

This matter will always be a hard spot for debate... from one hand, developers are right, piracy and accustomed-to-piracy people makes for an awful experience in the long term. From the other hand, asking more than 50 euros for a title is too expensive, which ultimately leads to piracy.

Steam is, effectively, a breath of fresh air, but... in a contaminated environment...

I know I'm going to be highly critiziced for what I'm going to say but... PC needs to become more like a console in order to survive in the gaming sense of the word... if the PC was a fixed architecture story would be quite different but... well... it's what it is, and it's ok for me, it's ok for many people, but we all know it should change, at least a bit.

Once many many changes goes on, the gaming scenario could be more suitable for survival, but well... enough ranting for now
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 04:30 PM   #6
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Yeah, PC gamers only buying games for insanely cheap prices while they are already a minority in sales is GREAT for PC gaming.

/sarcasm.
Yeah because you can't possibly make more money by selling cheaper games to more people, that just doesn't happen.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 04:32 PM   #7
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
Yeah because you can't possibly make more money by selling cheaper games to more people, that just doesn't happen.
I'm sure the companies selling millions of copies at $60 on consoles are comforted by your idea.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Old 01-04-10, 04:37 PM   #8
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LydianKnight View Post
I know I'm going to be highly critiziced for what I'm going to say but... PC needs to become more like a console in order to survive in the gaming sense of the word... if the PC was a fixed architecture story would be quite different but... well... it's what it is, and it's ok for me, it's ok for many people, but we all know it should change, at least a bit.
Then it wouldn't be PC gaming, so what is the point?

The OP is flawed anyway, we still get massive PC exclusives, they're just limited to genres only the PC can do like MMOs and RTS games. Whenever a genre can be done on more than one system companies will make it multiplatform. Why? THEY NEED MONEY. Pretty simple. The beloved Xbox is no different, all its exclusives are paid for by Microsoft, there is no loyalty to the platform when the games work on other ones.

In the end every game on PC is better than its console version with extremely rare exception and some games that are multiplatform still feel like PC exclusives like Dragon Age and Left 4 Dead. I really do not understand the terror, PC gaming is in a great place if you ask me, other than DRM issues which pirates force on us.

None of this matters anyway, at some point consoles and PCs will merge into an account-based cloud gaming type scenario and the gaming we know today will no longer exist, sadly. Supporters of things like Steam and MMOs and OnLive are already ensuring this future.

Old 01-04-10, 04:49 PM   #9
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

This generation, I think PC gaming is doing just fine. However, when next generation consoles come in like XBOX 720, and Playstation 4 offering some powerful GPU(s) and possibility with multi cores... PC gaming might go through some difficult times. Who knows.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 04:51 PM   #10
Drolfrawd

Send a message via MSN to Drolfrawd

Kill the console there crap.....................
Drolfrawd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 04:55 PM   #11
TheANIMAL

Next generation of consoles is going to kick PC's butt (in regard to offering a perferable platform to develop games on) but PC gaming still wont die, to many indie developers and too much innovation in the indie scene for PC gaming to die completely. Steam FTW etc.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 05:00 PM   #12
Vardant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I'm sure the companies selling millions of copies at $60 on consoles are comforted by your idea.
That's different. They sell the hardware at loss and they need to make up for it. Also the number of copies they can sell is limited by the number of consoles sold.

How many computers equiped with 8800GT card or better could there be today? 150 million or maybe more? Companies like NV or ATI sell over what? 80 million cards per year?

With these numbers, is it that hard to imagine a game that sells 10-15 million copies for 10 dollars on day one?

Crysis and Crysis Wars sold 2.5 million for what? 40 on average?

What's better?
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote