Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-04-10, 06:04 PM   #13
LydianKnight
Registered Knight
 
LydianKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Málaga, Spain
Posts: 977
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
Then it wouldn't be PC gaming, so what is the point?

The OP is flawed anyway, we still get massive PC exclusives, they're just limited to genres only the PC can do like MMOs and RTS games. Whenever a genre can be done on more than one system companies will make it multiplatform. Why? THEY NEED MONEY. Pretty simple. The beloved Xbox is no different, all its exclusives are paid for by Microsoft, there is no loyalty to the platform when the games work on other ones.

In the end every game on PC is better than its console version with extremely rare exception and some games that are multiplatform still feel like PC exclusives like Dragon Age and Left 4 Dead. I really do not understand the terror, PC gaming is in a great place if you ask me, other than DRM issues which pirates force on us.

None of this matters anyway, at some point consoles and PCs will merge into an account-based cloud gaming type scenario and the gaming we know today will no longer exist, sadly. Supporters of things like Steam and MMOs and OnLive are already ensuring this future.
While I understand your point, I can't say the same... in Spain, at least, there were quite good developers, and I guess there still are, but at some point in time, there were only 2 major companies here: Dinamic Multimedia, which came from the 8-bit era, and continued to deliver some titles like PC Futbol and some others, and FX Interactive, which got some people from Dinamic when they began having problems, and I haven't heard from FX Interactive from a long time ago.

Piracy was quite a factor for the spanish game scene to eventually dissapear, so... partly, the piracy, definitely, is a factor for developers/companies to end focusing their efforts on other endeavours or other platforms.

About a PC version being better than a console one, hell, yeah haha, that's what I really like about PC, and the think everyone will surely like about it, better graphics, some extras (if appliable) makes for a better experience.

But honestly... how many developers/companies are going to continue standing the lack of coherency from end users if no matter how much effort they put into designing a good game if they're not gonna meet their original expectations when those users will probably use a torrent or rip+crack the game at any rental place?

The problem with this situation is you can't just watch ONE side of the river, but both... from our side (user) it's unfair to pay 60 euros per title. From the other side (developer) it's unfair your efforts go down the drain because those fkin' users have not even the slightest idea about what 'respect' for intellectual property is... they pay 20$ to have a tank refill (just a naive number) at any gas station but they don't want to pay 20$ (again a naive number) for having a game?

The first thing the PC segment needs to sustain itself in the long run (because right now is still working quite good) is coherency... now try to count the number of people who are... coherent :P

That's what I meant with my previous exposition
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 06:08 PM   #14
General Lee
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17 View Post
What do you guys think? With Epic already gone, id on its way out, and most of the GOTYs are for console exclusives, do you think PC gaming will be revived and prosper, or are we all doomed to buying Xbox and Playstations?

Another question: if PC gaming does die, will the need for super fast hardware die, too?
Come on down to my house...I'ma gonna edumacate your ass.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 06:10 PM   #15
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
That's different. They sell the hardware at loss and they need to make up for it. Also the number of copies they can sell is limited by the number of consoles sold.

How many computers equiped with 8800GT card or better could there be today? 150 million or maybe more? Companies like NV or ATI sell over what? 80 million cards per year?

With these numbers, is it that hard to imagine a game that sells 10-15 million copies for 10 dollars on day one?

Crysis and Crysis Wars sold 2.5 million for what? 40 on average?

What's better?
According to the Steam hardware survey, 50-60% of Steam users have at least a 9600GT or comparable ATI card. The rest are using cards in the 9500\8600 and lower performance range.

I'm not really sure how many steam users there are, but I think its safe to say that just about anyone who bothers to put a decent graphics card in their computer will be using steam.
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 06:35 PM   #16
Kaguya
Registered User
 
Kaguya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 661
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

I told myself I wasn't going to post in here because it's silly, but here I go anyway.

Here's the list of upcoming PC games for 2010:

http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2010/

The first million games are PC exclusives, the next million games are multi-platform.

I think the argument that PC gaming is dying because of the lack of exclusives is a ridiculous argument, however... there has always been multiplatform gaming, be it consoles and PCs, or MAC and PC, or cabinet and console, etc... and although I'm not a console gamer, from the chatter I see in console forums, there aren't that many AAA console exclusives that would make me jump ship. I wouldn't mind having a console as well as a PC, but right now I have what plays the most games and has the best backward compatibility of any gaming platform.

@NarcissistZero re: Steam Sales - I see what you're saying about people buying loads of games through Steam at reduced prices during sales, however the thing that is good about that is that Steam provides developers with continued sales, whereas traditional retail tends to have a high day one sale rate, and then quickly drops off as games become older and less popular. Steam's new game sales are still decent, and then when sales become flat, discounted prices spike additional sales that may not otherwise have come. Plus having gamers experience more and more games (especially ones they may not have tried at full price) probably increases the chance they will buy similar games at full price later.

The one factor that I think a lot of doom-and-gloomers are missing is the fact that nobody really knows what PC games total sales numbers are anymore. NPD has shown a gradual decline in sales, but we all know that that has gone hand-in-hand with increased digital sales. Additionally, people buying PC games at reduced prices could be compared to people renting copies of console games and playing them over a weekend and then returning them, with no additional benefit to the publisher (I'm sure Blockbuster doesn't send money to 2K everytime someone rents Borderlands).

That was my brain spewing far too much stuff - maybe some of it is useful to the conversation
__________________
Intel Core i7 960 @ 3.6Ghz
EVGA X58 3X SLI
OCZ Gold 12GB DDR3
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 06:35 PM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me
 
NarcissistZero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 8,033
Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan View Post
This generation, I think PC gaming is doing just fine. However, when next generation consoles come in like XBOX 720, and Playstation 4 offering some powerful GPU(s) and possibility with multi cores... PC gaming might go through some difficult times. Who knows.
That depends on where they go, really. Will the next gen consoles be that much more poweful, or will they go the Wii route? Will we even see a next gen for a while or are they content to try to enhance the current systems with Natal and such? Will cloud gaming take over? Will casual gaming be more of a focus?

The cool thing about PC is it can be used to try new things and buck the system. If the consoles stick with 2004 technology for another 5 years the PC can make a nice comeback with the hardcore by pushing some high intensity graphics. If the consoles get more and more casual then smaller developers could use the PC to digitally distribute more hardcore games. If cloud takes off the PC will dominate completely within 5 years, but of course it won't look like PC gaming of today.

Things are pretty up in the air really.
__________________
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 06:56 PM   #18
Arioch
Registered User
 
Arioch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,087
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Is this the PC gaming is going to die 2010 thread?
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 07:07 PM   #19
Logical
Registered User
 
Logical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 2,523
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

If PC gaming is dying can someone tell me when PC gaming was at it's best. Would like to know because atm im having a blast gaming on PC and would not even slightly consider changing platform.
PC gamers get most of the best console games and usually the ports come out better than the console variants albeit higher res and better textures etc

Is PC gaming dying? Nah i don't think so..the better the consoles get the better the PC's hardware get and therefore the better games we get.
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 07:13 PM   #20
Noriega
你妈妈喜欢的阴茎
 
Noriega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: 波兰
Posts: 2,176
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

I think we have some problems between game developers and hardware makers. Nvidia talk too much about GPGPU but not about games, ATI pushes DX11 but none of devs want to take it. Microsoft is acting silly with their Win 7 gaming and GfWL while stabbing PC gamers with buying Xbox 360 exclusives. MMOS are bigger competition to PC games than consoles since there are millions of gamers that plays only MMO and don't care about any other games.

I'm just curious about Nvidia and Ati making next GPU's for next gens. It's just shooting in your leg. Why sell one gpu in console while you can sell 2 or more in one gen cycle?

I think next generation will not come fast. Not for PS3 for sure. Comparing sells of hardware and sales of games ( GTA series for example) it looks much worse than PS2. Nintendo is doing well and I read article about Xbox 360 last year that MS still has loss of 5bln dollars in Xbox 360.
__________________
Noriega is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-10, 07:15 PM   #21
CaptNKILL
CUBE
 
CaptNKILL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: PA, USA
Posts: 18,844
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
I told myself I wasn't going to post in here because it's silly, but here I go anyway.

Here's the list of upcoming PC games for 2010:

http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2010/

The first million games are PC exclusives, the next million games are multi-platform.
Wow thanks for that link.

I'm bookmarking that right now.
__________________
---- Primary Rig ---- CoolerMaster 690 II Advance - Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 4.0Ghz + Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme
6GB DDR2 @ 942Mhz 5-5-5-20 1.9v (2x1Gb Wintec AMPX PC2-8500 & 2x2Gb G.Skill PC2-6400) - EVGA Geforce GTX 470 @ 750/1500/1850 (1.050v)
Sparkle Geforce GTS 250 1Gb Low-Profile (Physx) - Crucial RealSSD C300 64Gb SSD - Seagate 7200.12 500Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 07:26 PM   #22
Retrolock
®
 
Retrolock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,298
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Topics like these pops up from time to time. Might as well start the year with the first one.
__________________
i7-2600k, Xspc rs240, Asus Maximus IV Gene-z, 8gb G.Skill DDR3 1866 RIPJAWSX CL7, PoV GTX 670, Corsair HX1000W, 128GB Vertex 4, WD 1tb Caviar Black, 500 & 320gb Seagate
Retrolock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 07:26 PM   #23
Destroy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,994
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch View Post
Is this the PC gaming is going to die 2010 thread?
Sadly, yes. And more sadly, it won't be the last.
__________________

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 07:35 PM   #24
Greg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,177
Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Deja vu?

PC Gaming is the largest market in the gaming world. The most hardware, the largest game sales per year, the most regular players.

BUT

Profitability of a single game title is lower on average than console games.

When PCs are no longer sold, PC games will die. Yearly PC sales were 231 Million units in 2006. There are over 2 billion PCs in active use. (Source: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Resear....html?x=0&.v=1)
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.