Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-04-10, 06:52 PM   #25
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Is PC Gaming going to die?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I'm sure the companies selling millions of copies at $60 on consoles are comforted by your idea.
Indie makers don't spend millions and millions in advertising that they have to recoup.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 07:02 PM   #26
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaguya View Post
I told myself I wasn't going to post in here because it's silly, but here I go anyway.

Here's the list of upcoming PC games for 2010:

http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2010/

The first million games are PC exclusives, the next million games are multi-platform.
Epic, thanks for the link. When I think about rebuying my PS3 or stealing my 360 back from my girlfriend I always eventually decide not to because honestly there are so damn many awesome PC games I have no time or need for anything else.

Also, when you think about exclusives how many real exclusives did Xbox 360 have last year? Not many, really... even less when you go AAA. As much as it is said no one makes PC exclusives anymore I would say PC easily topped Xbox on the exclusive front last year.

Quote:
@NarcissistZero re: Steam Sales - I see what you're saying about people buying loads of games through Steam at reduced prices during sales, however the thing that is good about that is that Steam provides developers with continued sales, whereas traditional retail tends to have a high day one sale rate, and then quickly drops off as games become older and less popular. Steam's new game sales are still decent, and then when sales become flat, discounted prices spike additional sales that may not otherwise have come. Plus having gamers experience more and more games (especially ones they may not have tried at full price) probably increases the chance they will buy similar games at full price later.
I don't mean to knock getting a sale game on Steam, I am happy anytime a PC gamer pays for their games now-a-days, to be honest. My main point was more that seeing Steam as a savior of PC gaming means two things:

1) Account-based "ownership" that removes a lot of consumer rights.
2) A lowering of the expected payment for a new game while console games cost more.

I see both of those as having upsides and downsides and I think any discussion of Steam being a savior needs to involve realistic answers to those two problems. I see all the time on the Steam forum people who refuse to buy a game until it is on sale, and then when it goes on sale for 50% off they are mad it is not 75% off, etc. etc.. At some point this will not bode well for new sales, and if publishers believe the only way to make money on PC is releasing games for under $20 how many AAA games will we see go away? It concerns me. Also when a game sells for $20 more a copy on consoles and retains its value longer on consoles is it any wonder PC is the third consideration when doing the UI and such? That was the basis for a PC Gamer article not long ago, the $60 price point could mean more investment in the platform.

That said Steam is certainly a boon, and while I (mostly) prefer boxed retail it is hard to deny Steam is taking over PC gaming more and more (which brings about another whole concern: monopoly).
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 07:03 PM   #27
General Lee

If you truly think PC gaming is going to end ANYtime soon...feel free to Alt+F4 yourself.
Old 01-04-10, 07:58 PM   #28
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

another year and we got out first PC gonna die thread. This BS keeps going around every year and it never will happen.
Old 01-04-10, 08:00 PM   #29
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Epic, thanks for the link. When I think about rebuying my PS3 or stealing my 360 back from my girlfriend I always eventually decide not to because honestly there are so damn many awesome PC games I have no time or need for anything else.
excactly why I have no time even turn on my RROD_Box, it probably broke already
Old 01-04-10, 08:03 PM   #30
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrolock View Post
Topics like these pops up from time to time. Might as well start the year with the first one.
BS threads like these just be closed right away, they eventually end up closed anyway.
Old 01-04-10, 10:57 PM   #31
Kaguya

Quote:
I don't mean to knock getting a sale game on Steam, I am happy anytime a PC gamer pays for their games now-a-days, to be honest. My main point was more that seeing Steam as a savior of PC gaming means two things:

1) Account-based "ownership" that removes a lot of consumer rights.
2) A lowering of the expected payment for a new game while console games cost more.

I see both of those as having upsides and downsides and I think any discussion of Steam being a savior needs to involve realistic answers to those two problems. I see all the time on the Steam forum people who refuse to buy a game until it is on sale, and then when it goes on sale for 50% off they are mad it is not 75% off, etc. etc.. At some point this will not bode well for new sales, and if publishers believe the only way to make money on PC is releasing games for under $20 how many AAA games will we see go away? It concerns me. Also when a game sells for $20 more a copy on consoles and retains its value longer on consoles is it any wonder PC is the third consideration when doing the UI and such? That was the basis for a PC Gamer article not long ago, the $60 price point could mean more investment in the platform.

That said Steam is certainly a boon, and while I (mostly) prefer boxed retail it is hard to deny Steam is taking over PC gaming more and more (which brings about another whole concern: monopoly).
I see. I thought you just meant reduced pricing in general, not Steam and Steam's methods specifically (since all Digital Dealers had sales throughout the holidays).

I've been in those Steam forums too, and the one thing that I have to remind myself is this: The people that post on forums are most frequently the people who are upset. Those who are perfectly happy who purchased their game, download it, and play it, never visit the forums. It's like when my SSD died - the OCZ forums were full of "My SSD is dead" threads, but very few "My SSD is freaking awesome" threads, basically because those with perfectly fine SSDs weren't posting in the forums.

People in general are whiners and babies, and the Internet brings out the worst in people (unfortunately). The best thing that Steam (or any retailer/e-tailer) does is basically ignores all of the ranting and raving in the forums and just goes about their business...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch
Is this the PC gaming is going to die 2010 thread?
My prediction is that PC gaming is going to die under the weight of all the PC Gaming is Dead threads.
EVGA GeForce GTX 470 x2 SLI
OCZ Vertex 2 EX & Corsair P256
LG GH22NS50 22X DVD-RW SATA
Antec TruePower Quattro 1000w SLI PSU
Acer HN274H 1920x1080 3D Ready LCD
Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
Antec 900 Ultimate Gamer Case
Kaguya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-10, 11:17 PM   #32
ViN86

PC gaming isn't going anywhere. FPS and MMORPG genres live on PC. They started their and they will never leave the PC platform. And those genres are enough to keep PC gaming alive.

Besides, I own a 360, a Wii, and PS3 and I still spent about $100 on PC games with all the deals Steam was having over the holidays. Damn them, those deals were just way too good.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-10, 12:56 AM   #33
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17 View Post
What do you guys think?
no. /thread
Old 01-05-10, 01:15 AM   #34
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel17 View Post
What do you guys think? With Epic already gone, id on its way out, and most of the GOTYs are for console exclusives, do you think PC gaming will be revived and prosper, or are we all doomed to buying Xbox and Playstations?

Another question: if PC gaming does die, will the need for super fast hardware die, too?
Which GOTY is console? Uncharted? That is a PS3 game, which means that XBox users are out of luck.

The PC still has the most games I think, out of any single game platform. It has all the console ports, plus a few extras.

Also I think PC Gaming as it is today is way better than it was a few years ago. A few years ago, no game supported Widescreen, a PC gamepad was nonexistant, no standards whatsoever, Vista was young and not very popular. Steam was still a bit young and immature, PC missed some games, consumers were very upset over copywrite protection like starforce, etc. Also hardware costs these days are cheaper for good performance, a GTS 250 is a fantastic card, at around $100.

But now, we have many titles, including unheard of PC titles like SFIV... Yup, a great fighting game, on PC! And sports titles like NBA 2K9/2K10, and even some platforming games. Also PC ports the last 2 years or so have generally been much better than they were years ago. Batman AA was a fantastic port, and that is just an example.
Old 01-05-10, 01:55 AM   #35
HiCZoK4

PS3 and its bluray = 0 piracy. How the the hell to pirate 100gb disc?D

Anyway. This is getting retarted. I bet half of people who are on this forums are dling games from torrents this way or another. I just love that talking "I hate pirates, they should die!"... When proboably half a people here downloading every title.
Games are just too expensive. In Poland for example games costs 100zl. Its equivalent to Your 100$ or Euro in terms of sellery. and console games costs here 250zl.... Just imagine getting game for 100 or 250$. When I had 360 I bough only 6 games in almost a year, lol but played em good Thx God, there are great price drops for older titles and series on PC.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-10, 01:59 AM   #36
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
PS3 and its bluray = 0 piracy. How the the hell to pirate 100gb disc?D
BD doesn't store 100gb, most PS3 games are no bigger then 360/PC games (about the size of DL DVD)