Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows 7

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-23-09, 09:11 PM   #1
LurkerLito

Default Win 7 Not remembering window settings argh!!

I have to vent a bit. This little new feature of Win 7 is absolutely the worst thing about it and it's driving me nuts. How can MS not have brought over this functionality from win XP and screwed it up in vista and not corrected it in Win 7 is just insane IMO.

Win 7 just won't remember where I place my open windows. It's absolutely stupid. On every reboot any of the open windows I had open will move to new locations. If I open the Games tab it takes on the same position and size settings as the Computer window. If I change the games window then open the computer, the computer window becomes the same size and position as the games one. If you open any folder it only takes the size and position settings from the previously opened window. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed to be like it was when it was functional in windows XP! Vista broke the way it worked it couldn't seem to always remember what windows were open, but it seemed to be fine remembering the positions and sizes of the windows you had previously opened. Win 7 remembers what windows you had open previously but can't remember any of the size, positions or settings.

I bought a $10 utility to get it to remember the size and positions, but it doesn't seem to be able to catch the Computer one or the Games one. *sigh*

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 01:47 PM   #2
mythy
Single Male

Default Re: Win 7 Not remembering window settings argh!!

wow thats like gay... You actually bought a utility for that! So lame... I mean windows 7 of chores
mythy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 01:49 PM   #3
Bearclaw

Hmm, well the utility might have not been the best choice but I know your pain. I have had problems with this in XP, Vista, and 7. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Old 08-25-09, 02:04 PM   #4
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
I have to vent a bit. This little new feature of Win 7 is absolutely the worst thing about it and it's driving me nuts. How can MS not have brought over this functionality from win XP and screwed it up in vista and not corrected it in Win 7 is just insane IMO.

Win 7 just won't remember where I place my open windows. It's absolutely stupid. On every reboot any of the open windows I had open will move to new locations. If I open the Games tab it takes on the same position and size settings as the Computer window. If I change the games window then open the computer, the computer window becomes the same size and position as the games one. If you open any folder it only takes the size and position settings from the previously opened window. I can't believe this hasn't been fixed to be like it was when it was functional in windows XP! Vista broke the way it worked it couldn't seem to always remember what windows were open, but it seemed to be fine remembering the positions and sizes of the windows you had previously opened. Win 7 remembers what windows you had open previously but can't remember any of the size, positions or settings.

I bought a $10 utility to get it to remember the size and positions, but it doesn't seem to be able to catch the Computer one or the Games one. *sigh*
Probably doesn't have the required permissions to move/mess with explorer.exe

Try running the program as Admin
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 02:13 PM   #5
S.SubZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
Hmm, well the utility might have not been the best choice but I know your pain. I have had problems with this in XP, Vista, and 7. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
In Windows 7 they completely took it out. The check box for remembering folder settings has even been removed.

For the record, I never had this problem in XP, and only had trouble with the folder type in Vista before using the fix for it. Neither one, nor any Windows OS back as far as Windows 95, and even pre-NT OS/2, had problems remembering window positions and sizes. For reasons unknown they completely removed this ability from Windows 7, and I do not know how I'm supposed to do extensive Explorer-related thigs anymore.
S.SubZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 03:15 PM   #6
LurkerLito

In case anyone wants it here is that app I bought:
http://www.desksoft.com/WindowManager.htm

There is a new 1.2 version and it looks like it's catching the Computer and Games windows settings now . You can download it and try it out for 30 days if you need this functionality. Unfortunately its something that should have been built into Win 7.

Quote:
FYI in XP it worked perfectly I think you only needed to change one registry setting to increase the number of folder settings it would remember. In vista it was hit and miss. It only kind of worked right. I was always hoping they'd fix it. In 7 they just took it out completely and I thought that was just horrible. It was like they couldn't get it working in vista so they just removed it. I would have settled for how it worked in vista, it wasn't perfect but at least sometimes it worked.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-09, 10:10 PM   #7
Yaboze

This bugs me too and it bugged me in Vista.

There was that reg setting thing, it kinda helped, but it wasn't perfect.

What's also nuts is certain windows will save their size and position, then you open a totally different window and it takes on that saved windows shape for some reason!

There definitely is a problem it remembering the Games window.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-09, 05:23 AM   #8
wysiwyg

parkerlindsey stop talking crap

and once again this is for windows 7 NOT vista nub!
wysiwyg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-10-09, 10:14 AM   #9
Riptide

Windows 7 drives me nuts with this crap. It won't remember individual last window positions.

So for instance if I open up my computer and then open up another folder on my desktop. I move the second folder way off to the right. I then close my computer. Then I close the window I moved way off to the right.

I go to open up my computer and it opens up way off to the right. :/
If you have no windows open and then goto open one it will always open it up in the last location of the last window you closed no matter what it was.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 08:43 AM   #10
Q

A fix is available!

http://lifehacker.com/5453655/shellf...k-to-windows-7
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 11:28 AM   #11
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw View Post
this feature would often break in xp and vista, where the size/position "database" in the registry grew to large and started causing issues, sizes and positions got all mixed up.

that is probably why it was removed.
Old 01-21-10, 11:36 AM   #12
wwec

I use an ancient piece of software for this, has worked from the Win2000 days up to and including 7

http://aroundcny.com/Technofile/texts/tec080199.html
wwec is offline   Reply With Quote