Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-14-10, 12:15 PM   #13
frenchy2k1

Default Re: When a new gaming console is released...

high refresh HDTV will be the norm way before the resolution will change.
Current HDTV are 60, 120 and 240Hz. 240 will soon be the norm, which opens correct 3D possibilities (120Hz per eye).

As far as the console/PC war, console are cheaper and a better return on gaming dollars spent. Sure, high end PCs will always beat them, but at what price? Even the PS3 came out at $600, which was considered outrageous, but this is barely a mid-range price for a gaming PC...
Old 01-14-10, 12:29 PM   #14
mojoman0

plus it seems it takes at least 2 years after release for the programmers to figure out all the tricks of optimizing the system and pushing it to its limits
mojoman0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 03:24 PM   #15
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchy2k1 View Post
As far as the console/PC war, console are cheaper and a better return on gaming dollars spent
Show me your math

EVERYONE already has a PC!

If they add a $120 graphics card they have a gaming PC.

PC games are cheaper than console games.
------------------------------------

ive spent money on console games but never play them because consoles suck
hardly a great return on money spent.
Old 01-14-10, 04:17 PM   #16
TheANIMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
Show me your math

Bizzarly that actually makes sense, except for the fact that you have to upgrade your PC quite regularly unless you're smart enough to sell your old computer components off as you upgrade to new components. That isn't everyone's cup of tea, consoles certainly are easier to buy and buy for.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 05:26 PM   #17
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheANIMAL View Post
Bizzarly that actually makes sense, except for the fact that you have to upgrade your PC quite regularly unless you're smart enough to sell your old computer components off as you upgrade to new components. That isn't everyone's cup of tea, consoles certainly are easier to buy and buy for.
It depends on how high of settings you need. If you are happy with lower settings then PC gaming is likely cheaper for you, especially compared to someone who buys multiple consoles.

A hardcore console gamer who gets all consoles at launch spent $1250 on console hardware not even including accessories this gen. You can definately get a gaming PC for under that which lasts the same 5 years if you don't need max settings.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 05:33 PM   #18
TheANIMAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
It depends on how high of settings you need. If you are happy with lower settings then PC gaming is likely cheaper for you, especially compared to someone who buys multiple consoles.

A hardcore console gamer who gets all consoles at launch spent $1250 on console hardware not even including accessories this gen. You can definately get a gaming PC for under that which lasts the same 5 years if you don't need max settings.

True that. My personal computer i use for internet and internet gaming is an Athlon 3200+ With 1.5gigs of DDR400 memory and a Geforce 7600GT lol.

It still plays games OK, but then again i'm into retro/indie games.
TheANIMAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 08:19 PM   #19
JasonPC

The problem with consoles and hardware is the stiff competition and the price that consumers want to pay. Xbox 360 and ps3 are both old hardware now and they still do not break even, they are sold at a loss in hope to undercut the competitor and gain market share. So considering how expensive top end PC hardware is, you'll never see it in consoles. That doesn't necessarily mean the hardware in consoles isn't cutting edge at the time. They do a lot of research and development to get what they want to achieve. It's just that what they were trying to achieve never was the equivalent to a top end PC.
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-10, 11:01 PM   #20
ViN86

No fanboy posts in this thread...

People play consoles cause they're easier. Period. Games are more expensive, but total hardware costs are cheaper. Everyone has a TV, spend $200 for a 360 and a game and voila, you have entertainment.

No one argues PC graphics are better. They always have been and always will be. But I would argue that consoles are much more efficient, in that they do more with less. Many console games today still have incredible graphics despite the fact that their hardware is very outdated. Case in point: Uncharted 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
No, never. Xbox 360 was like a 3 year old PC at that time.
Really? A lot of PC's had 3-core 3.2GHz processors in 2002?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post

That's complete bull****. "Hardcore console gamer" does not mean they buy all the consoles. I would say that it just means that they get as many games as they can for their favorite console. At a $10 price difference between PC and consoles, maybe after 80 games the costs will catch up.

Anyways, you're forgetting one important aspect. Console games guarantee a certain level of performance. The same cannot be said with PC games. Try running Crysis on a 5 year old machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post
Show me your math

Seriously, you need to see the math?

Just cause you own a PC doesn't rule out its cost. Also a lot of people don't go through computers like we do (usually 2 years or less cycle). I doubt my uncle would enjoy gaming on his 1GHz Intel Celeron and 512MB of PC133 SDRAM.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-10, 06:07 AM   #21
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
That's complete bull****. "Hardcore console gamer" does not mean they buy all the consoles. I would say that it just means that they get as many games as they can for their favorite console. At a $10 price difference between PC and consoles, maybe after 80 games the costs will catch up.

Anyways, you're forgetting one important aspect. Console games guarantee a certain level of performance. The same cannot be said with PC games. Try running Crysis on a 5 year old machine.
I never said every hardcore console gamers buys all the consoles, I said if you are one who does... so calm down there snippy pants.

And consoles do not offer a certain level of performance really, it depends on the game makers. One game might run at 60fps like Modern Warfare while another like Borderlands might run at 20-something, as I have read. The only way to really get consistent performance from games is to have a top of the line gaming PC, which is expensive of course.

In the end I view PC gaming as seperate from console gaming, sort of an either-or situation, and in that regard console gaming is not much cheaper, or even more expensive, depending on how crazy you are with it. I know now-a-days especially a lot of people game on both, that's fine, I am just speaking from my perspective and the perspective that was more common 5 or so years ago. Actually even today that poll thread showed most people here only game on PC.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 07:09 AM   #22
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer

I agree with Vin86, The Xbox 360's CPU was top notch (3 Cores w/ HT), Its still better then mosts CPUs today if you only have a dual core 2 Processor (E6600) or less. Its GPUs had technology that was not even out on PC. The Xbox 360 made me sell off my high-mid range PC at that time. As I was not going to use my PC for 1 year after the new console launch. I'm now back with PC again and happy about it, but to say they were 2 - 3 years behind PC is BS. They were about as powerfull as a gaming $2000+ machine in performance the day it came out (Xbox 360).
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 08:13 AM   #23
Viral
Registered User of Women

Is everyone forgetting that the Xbox 360 CPU is In-order Execution? That's a major disadvantage. You can't compare it to a modern triple core x86 CPU...

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 08:32 AM   #24
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Super Nintendo ran 2d platforming games a hell of a lot better than my 486sx did, tell you what.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote