Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-15-10, 09:23 AM   #25
ViN86

Default Re: When a new gaming console is released...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I never said every hardcore console gamers buys all the consoles, I said if you are one who does... so calm down there snippy pants.

And consoles do not offer a certain level of performance really, it depends on the game makers. One game might run at 60fps like Modern Warfare while another like Borderlands might run at 20-something, as I have read. The only way to really get consistent performance from games is to have a top of the line gaming PC, which is expensive of course.

In the end I view PC gaming as seperate from console gaming, sort of an either-or situation, and in that regard console gaming is not much cheaper, or even more expensive, depending on how crazy you are with it. I know now-a-days especially a lot of people game on both, that's fine, I am just speaking from my perspective and the perspective that was more common 5 or so years ago. Actually even today that poll thread showed most people here only game on PC.
LOL snippy pants? Then quit spewing bull****.

My point was you can't compare "hardcore console gamers" with casual PC gamers. If you compare costs on PC and consoles between groups of users with similar play styles (i.e. casual to casual, hardcore to hardcore) then consoles will always be cheaper.

And yes, performance does slightly change depending on who makes the game, but the difference is that everyone who plays it experiences the same level of performance. So you can't give yourself a performance edge online by spending $1000 on your hardware. Also, all games perform at a moderate to good level of performance, while not all the same. The same still cannot be said for PC games.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 09:36 AM   #26
|MaguS|

I think the biggest difference is the general experience the average person would get would be superior on the consoles then the PC. Not everyone has the same hardware as us (actually less then 25% of PC Owners do) yet everyone who has a PS3 has the same experience.

It's about the experience that majority of the platform will get and lets be honest, majority of PC Gaming Community is casual gamers now or just doesn't have the hardware able to run the top graphics games at good settings. I mean yes that Best Buy $1K PC can play WoW or HL2 fine but it will die in a heart beat playing Crysis or even Borderlands.

Majority of people who buy PCs don't know how to install a hard drive or a graphics cards, why do you think all these stores now have "Geek Squads". They make a killing ripping people off doing the simplest things. I was at Best Buy yesterday and overheard they talking to a customer about installing a new Hard Drive for her and when they offered to install Windows the customer replied "Oh I can do that." The GS rep was shocked! As was I, They can install windows but not plug in a Hard Drive? Wow...
Old 01-15-10, 10:45 AM   #27
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
Is everyone forgetting that the Xbox 360 CPU is In-order Execution? That's a major disadvantage. You can't compare it to a modern triple core x86 CPU...
Tell that to the guy (me before) only getting 45 fps max in RE5 fixed bechmark, or in the game of NFS shift with a quad Core 6600 @ 3.00ghz.
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 11:04 AM   #28
Lfctony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
No, never. Xbox 360 was like a 3 year old PC at that time.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 11:26 AM   #29
Vardant

It wasn't a 3 year old PC, but it definitely wasn't high-end either. Don't forget, that most games are running only in 720p, sometimes without AA, AF or V-Sync.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 12:47 PM   #30
Sowk
STEAM ID: OSE Killer

Dream Machine 2005 from maximum pc...

AMD Opteron 275 X 2

8 Gig DDR400 memory

2 X 7800GTX in SLI

Price: $7220 (Only priced with a single HDD). Just for the computer.

vs

Price: $400 for Xbox 360 that was about 85%+ of that machine...

http://dl.maximumpc.com/Archives/MPC0905-web.pdf
Sowk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 02:18 PM   #31
HiCZoK4

Remember what impression Gears of War did when it came out on 360? I was sreaming fuuuuuuuu...... why I dont own console. And when it came out on pc year later it looks 1000 times better
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-10, 04:38 PM   #32
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
LOL snippy pants? Then quit spewing bull****.

My point was you can't compare "hardcore console gamers" with casual PC gamers. If you compare costs on PC and consoles between groups of users with similar play styles (i.e. casual to casual, hardcore to hardcore) then consoles will always be cheaper.
Yeah, hardcore to hardcore you are probably right.

Still, I have never been one to deny PC gaming costs more, it does. If you stretch a config as long as it can go you might actually get away cheaper, but then game quality and such starts to suffer massively and you have to spend more to overhaul your who system eventually rather than a simple upgrade.

PC gaming works best as a premium product, like a Ferrari or whatever. Better graphics, better franerate, better control options but it comes at a price, both in dollars and upkeep. Thre more casual person would be find with a Honda.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-10, 04:52 PM   #33
XDanger
Whaaat?

The thing about me and consoles is I buy the games but dont play them.

I thought I learned my lesson with the ps2 but my 360 collection is geting scary.

The next gen wants to be able to do 1080p (possibly x3 outputs because who knows what will be available in terms of affordable screen tech) and 3D at a constant framerate and high refresh or **** off.
The power will be that of a high/mid range PC of the day similar to the spec of what I afford myself but not on par with proper mad rigs like some of you guys keep.
Old 01-15-10, 05:45 PM   #34
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post

I thought I learned my lesson with the ps2 but my 360 collection is geting scary.
I did this with the PS3, I bought a ton of games but rarely played any... Killzone 2, Valkyria Chronicles, Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, and many others just sat there because I would rather play PC games. I think the only one I really finished was Uncharted.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 01:37 AM   #35
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post

On top of this, next gen consoles will definitely do 1080p hopefully with some AA. So PC's won't have the resolution advantage for most people anymore.
I've been running resolution bigger than 1080p (1920x1200 *marginal* ) for years now. Lately, I have been using 5040x1050 which is a triplehead resolution. Things such as this (triplehead) and other cool customization stuff is why consoles suck in general.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 02:01 AM   #36
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger View Post

The next gen wants to be able to do 1080p (possibly x3 outputs because who knows what will be available in terms of affordable screen tech) and 3D at a constant framerate and high refresh or **** off.
The power will be that of a high/mid range PC of the day similar to the spec of what I afford myself but not on par with proper mad rigs like some of you guys keep.
I have to admit. I was doing the same when I had 360. I almost wasnt playing it. Finishing gta iv took me half a year! While in PC I always played much more and plays now after I sold the 360wreck.

But its very comfortable for cheap\casual. Guess I am used to pc
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote