Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-16-10, 08:47 PM   #37
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Default Re: When a new gaming console is released...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowk View Post
Tell that to the guy (me before) only getting 45 fps max in RE5 fixed bechmark, or in the game of NFS shift with a quad Core 6600 @ 3.00ghz.
Shhh... it's apparent he's a pc fanboy.. The complexities of OS overhead baffles him as well as the intricacies of developing for a very broad spectrumed platform. The whole concept of being able to squeeze more out of a closed platform is common sense to most. Then again, ignorance is bliss.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-10, 09:24 PM   #38
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Try running Crysis on a 5 year old machine.
lol my (desk PC, see sig) motherboard is almost 6, my cpu is almost 5, my video card is the performance plateau of 4 yrs ago (HD3850AGP ~= X1900XT), my 3gb of RAM is 6, my hard drives are like fifty years old ... and dangit, it runs Crysis pretty good!

It's no Carl ASROCK Weathers but it still handles most everything I throw at it.

Jussayin'

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 03:01 AM   #39
HiCZoK4

mannn.... my friend got 360 Elite... I forgot already hot GTAIV plays great on prodBox. I had prodbox year ago and passed gtaiv on it.(along with some other good games)

Comparing this game to the version on pc is like heven and hell. Graphics are great. just running 1680x1050. I know its upscaled but it looks native. AND ITS ****ING playable. Not like on my pc. Man this is most detailed game ever. The attention to physics and graphics is incredible. Imo this is still most advanced game technology-wise. Not comparing it too Crysis becouse its City\jungle.

Anyway. My point is. While all games on pc can look crisper and achieve very high resolutions it costs much. I have pc which costs more than 360(and look at my sig. I have averange pc) and I can't run some games with enjoyable options\fps. On Console You just insert GTAIV disc, even install the sucker so disc doesnt spin like mad and enjoy playing with very good graphics, controls. I don't see jaggies anywhere becouse I don't seat with nose in front of display. Its just comfortable and nice.

I am pc gamer but sometimes I just wish to have 360 again(or ps3). Right now I was going to get psp but I will have to rethink that becouse 360 isnt much more.
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 04:09 AM   #40
Vardant

What? GTA IV is probably the worst example you can give. It looks terrible on Xbox, there's no AF, it's low res, full of jaggies and blurry. At some places, the game struggled to hit 30fps average - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gr...article?page=4

The only problem GTA IV had on PC was the CPU requirement and the fact, that when you give people the choice to go nuts with details, they'll want to max it out. It was the same thing with Crysis. Even with mixed high/medium details, the game looked better than anything before and was running smoothly on slightly better than average PC. But because you couldn't use max. details on day one, it was poor optimization...
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 04:46 AM   #41
Viral
Registered User of Women

That's definitely a problem with PC gaming, everyone wants to push those sliders all the way to the right. If it performs like crap, they'll have a whine that it's poorly optimised

Hiczok, you have a point to some degree, but part of the problem is as you said you aren't sitting right in front of the screen. My PC games look a hell of a lot better than my PS3 games on my 46" LCD at 4m viewing distance, but the difference would be even more noticeable on my 24" LCD at 1.5' viewing distance if I played my PS3 games like I usually play my PC games.

On top of that, GTAIV is notorious for needing a good quad core. What reason it needs this is arguable. None the less, you have an average dual core, what do you expect it to play like?

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 04:50 AM   #42
XDanger
Whaaat?

GTA IV was written for >3 cores so thats prahblee why that

I cant imagine playing GTAIV with a controller in MP, That would suck ass.

In fact It would be impossible to achive my level of awesome(fe) at that game with a controller.

Last edited by XDanger; 01-22-10 at 01:35 PM.
XDanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 05:58 AM   #43
HiCZoK4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vardant View Post
What? GTA IV is probably the worst example you can give. It looks terrible on Xbox, there's no AF, it's low res, full of jaggies and blurry. At some places, the game struggled to hit 30fps average - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/gr...article?page=4

The only problem GTA IV had on PC was the CPU requirement and the fact, that when you give people the choice to go nuts with details, they'll want to max it out. It was the same thing with Crysis. Even with mixed high/medium details, the game looked better than anything before and was running smoothly on slightly better than average PC. But because you couldn't use max. details on day one, it was poor optimization...
WHAT?! have You played it? I don;t give a **** to aa or af as long as I cant see its not THERE. the game looks and plays great. Whats the point if there is a 30fps limit when it feels smoothier than some of games on pc with 50fps. I am a pc gamer since 1997 and before. And I can tell You it just plays great.
What... Am I suppose to wrap my eyeballs into space or ****ing pull em out with a spoon and cut myself with a dvd disc after noticing there is no aa or af. What is it a candy shop?! Also this would hurt my nose hitting the screen, becouse Its impossible to see any jaggies other way(and it offcourse depends on TV/display and resolution) and I think there is a little amount of af it gtaIV but I am not sure.

What is wrong with people nowaday? There are either too casual\noobish people who enjoy every ****ty game and then, there are hardcore gamers who see jaggies with 4xaa and can't play anything becouse of bad textures or things. Every game now on any console looks good. There is really mostly nothing bad about nowaday games on any platform.

I think some of You people forgot how to have fun with games

Offcourse In most cases I admire PC. I can customize everything, etc. I don't want to have crosshair in game but there is no option for turning it off? No problem, there is sure a mod for it. on consoles You are as you ... are. Can't change anything.

FUN. not casual fun but just ... fun.
Sorry for getting nervous, Its just driving me nuts reading everywhere all that ****. I even passed ME on Console and it was great. While I have it for PC I can't convince myself to play it more. Dunno why.
Old 01-17-10, 07:25 AM   #44
Vardant

Look at this for example - http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pc...nd-theft/43929
It's not the best comparison out there, but it was the only one I could find so quickly. I actually think, someone here posted some Xbox screenshot and people who finished it were surprised how awful it looks.

I finished the game on a dual-core, it was OCed, but I knew the PC version offers options, that weren't possible on the consoles, so I was modest and set it up right. I honestly don't care if it's too much of a hassle for others to do it, but don't complain afterwards about poor optimization.
Vardant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-10, 03:37 PM   #45
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

GTA4 on consoles looks like someone threw mud at the screen, I hated the way that game looked on console so much I couldn't even play the exlusive DLC because I already experienced the 10 times better looking PC version.

It's like night and day.

The problem Hiczok is your gaming PC is getting long in the tooth as they say. An 8800 and a lower end dual core is not going to run GTA4 well, it's one of the most demanding games out there.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-10, 04:37 PM   #46
HiCZoK4

well I am not running gta IV but my 8800 is oc edition and C2D is also oced to 2.8 and besides GTAIV I am suprised most games work on high setting

You might be right with GTAIV. But I played it on 22 screen 1680x1050 so there was not much to be blurried.
Old 01-18-10, 07:52 AM   #47
v3rninater
Blowin up since 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
I don't see why they would do that when 1080p adoption rates are so low.
Just wait for, Ultra High Definition (UHD), Ultra High Definition Video (UHDV), Ultra High Definition Television (UHDTV) @ 7680 4320 pixels.

That will be interesting!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_H...finition_Video
Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 3.4ghz 1600fsb || Gigabyte P45 EP45-UD3R stable as a rooock! || 4gb G-Skill DDR2 PC8500 5-5-5-15 || EVGA 580-GTX 1.5gb || Creative Fatal1ty Xram Sound Card 7.1 ||G-Skill Phoenix Pro SSD 120gb|| WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || 2x Samsung DVD burner 16x DVD+\- || Corsair 620watt PSU
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit (640gb hd)

AMD Phenom II X6 T1090 || Gigabyte GA880 || 4gb G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 1600 || MSI 8800 Ultra o/c || WD BLACK 32mb cache 640gb HD || ASUS DVD Burner || XFX 750 watt PSU

LG 60" 1080p 600Hz Plasma HDTV 60PS11
Xbox 360
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-10, 12:19 AM   #48
Viral
Registered User of Women

Quote:
Originally Posted by v3rninater View Post
Just wait for, Ultra High Definition (UHD), Ultra High Definition Video (UHDV), Ultra High Definition Television (UHDTV) @ 7680 4320 pixels.

That will be interesting!!! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_H...finition_Video
The adoption rates won't be. Ok, maybe they will be, if you like looking at low numbers.

Acer TravelMate 4002WNLCi: Pentium M 725 @ 1.6GHz | Mobility Radeon 9700/64MB | 2GB DDR400 | 15.4" WXGA
Viral is offline   Reply With Quote