Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-18-10, 02:43 AM   #1
chuckjessup
"The Dancing Duck"

Unhappy having trouble finding stable nvidia drivers for opensuse 11.2

Hello, I am well frustrated, I am attempting to install drivers for my Nvidia GeForce 9500GT on my OpenSuSE 11.2 KDE 4.4 desktop, however I have found that the repository drivers all to be vintage or non-functional, when I went to Nvidia's site they have a driver 190.53 which I attempted to find on YAST2 and it did and DL but also broke my SuSE install. the instructions for the dlk on the nvidia driver dowload page are out of date, they offer YAST settings that are for 11.1 and it doesnt seem to want to work- at least for me, I would really like to see if you guys... anyone could help me with this...

How do I install the 190.53 with/ without YAST I am truely lost.

Jesse Fender
chuckjessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 02:58 AM   #2
cenuij

Default Re: having trouble finding stable nvidia drivers for opensuse 11.2

You should install the driver from the command line, so I'm going to give you the commmand line instructions to do so.

Note that the next time you update your kernel, you will need to re-install the driver and that your X session/desktop environment will not start. So if you see a kernel update in the update notification applet, re-install the nvidia driver after the kernel update, *before* you reboot.

1. Download the 195.30 driver

32 bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...32_195.30.html
64 bit: http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d...64_195.30.html

2. Toggle execute flag on the driver file.

commands:

chmod +x /path/to/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.30-pkg2.run ( or path to 32 bit version )

2. Install kernel headers needed to compile parts of the driver

commands: (note the dash after su)

su -
zypper in linux-kernel-headers

3. Switch to runlevel 3 and install driver ( you will lose your X/Gnome/KDE session )

commands:

su -
init 3
/path/to/NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-195.30-pkg2.run
( or path to 32 bit version )

if you have an xorg.conf file, command:

switch2nvidia

switch back to runlevel 5, command:

init 5

4. If something specifically doesn't work, ask on http://forums.opensuse.org

Last edited by cenuij; 01-18-10 at 03:02 AM. Reason: typos
cenuij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-10, 06:38 AM   #3
jpterj

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckjessup View Post
Hello, I am well frustrated, I am attempting to install drivers for my Nvidia GeForce 9500GT on my OpenSuSE 11.2 KDE 4.4 desktop, however I have found that the repository drivers all to be vintage or non-functional, when I went to Nvidia's site they have a driver 190.53 which I attempted to find on YAST2 and it did and DL but also broke my SuSE install. the instructions for the dlk on the nvidia driver dowload page are out of date, they offer YAST settings that are for 11.1 and it doesnt seem to want to work- at least for me, I would really like to see if you guys... anyone could help me with this...

How do I install the 190.53 with/ without YAST I am truely lost.

Jesse Fender
In Yast2: Software->Repositories, then Add repository->Unofficial archives, near the bottom you will find the Nvidia repository for 11.2.

After this go to Install/remove software and search for Nvidia. You should use the driver with G02 in the name for this card.
jpterj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 03:15 AM   #4
chuckjessup
"The Dancing Duck"

Smile Re: having trouble finding stable nvidia drivers for opensuse 11.2

Thank you, i was freaking out that my system wouldnt boot this evening, Installed the latest driver and things seem to bee working again, i forgot about the needing to reinstall the drivers after an update- Also Thank you very much with the info an adding the Nvidia repositories it helped very much -

However you might be interested that in Open SuSE "su - " is just "sudo" and init # doesnt work. but other than that i thank you very much -

Jesse Fender
chuckjessup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-10, 05:44 AM   #5
cenuij

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckjessup View Post

However you might be interested that in Open SuSE "su - " is just "sudo" and init # doesnt work. but other than that i thank you very much -

Jesse Fender
No, "sudo" is not equivalent to using "su -". I deliberately mentioned the command "su -" instead of sudo because traditionally on openSUSE, "su" is the preferred way of doing tasks as the root user.

su and sudo are two different pieces of utility software and on openSUSE sudo is *not* configured for use by default. The reason the command "init 3" doesn't work for you is because you used sudo instead of "su -". As i have just mentioned, by default, sudo is not configured for use on openSUSE so when you try to use sudo, no environmental and shell variables are set for the super user. This means that not only is the sudo utility is unable to find the standard set of system utilities that are installed in /usr/sbin, but that in some circumstances using an unconfigured "sudo" may be dangerous.

Please, use "su" for command line tasks as the root user on openSUSE. You need not always use it with "su -", if you wish to simply run a single command you can use the -c switch instead of "-". For a full list of su options, you can view the su documentation by using the command "info su" on the command line (press Q to exit) or, if you use KDE, by typing the address "man:/su" into the address bar in Konqueror.

If for some reason you wish to disregard my advice and use sudo, then please take some time to research how it should be properly configured.
cenuij is offline   Reply With Quote