Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-10, 03:53 PM   #169
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
Thank you. I didn't know Mike had ATI cards, He sold it though. Meaning he didn't exactly use it as a main card.
I have bought and sold lots of cards. Mike has as well. So have you apparently. That doesn't mean anything one way or the other.

Quote:
I never seen Mike say nothing bad. If you were a owner of a site this big would you?
Mike wasn't making statements on his behalf one way or the other buddy You were. I was pointing out that it might not be a good idea to use Mike in your examples because he has always been a stand-up guy when it comes to hard-ware discussions and does right by the community, regardless of what side of the fence people may be on.

Quote:
XionX2. I understand your experience as well. I have had the opposite with nvidia cards. I had a 6800 GT go out, and XFX replaced it right away with a new card. You get bad ones and good ones. However that was the only nvidia card I owned. I think the manufactures can mess up as well. EVGA has been rock solid with me. As far as ATI goes, this was back when it was an ATI card. This wasn't a sapphire, or any of that. It was an actual ATI brand card. Meaning ATI made it.
Since we are speaking about anecdotal evidence, none of my ATi/AMD or Nvidia cards have ever failed on me (knock on wood).

Quote:
As for drivers, lots of people dislike ATI's drivers. I hate change, so if you ask me my opinion of a nvidia card, I've been using it longest, and have fell in love with the drivers both new and old. I defended you because you never attacked me for having an opinion. I did mention a few facts that weren't really facts but a majority of people agreed over the ones that disagreed.
People dislike drivers on both sides of the spectrum. For the majority of users, the drivers just work. I have used and will continue to use products from both companies because, I have really no preference one way or the other. Clan-mentality limits growth
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 04:00 PM   #170
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
I have to ask- those of you that are selling your 5970... what are you replacing it with?

And why are you selling it? Fermi wont be available for a couple more months at the earliest...?
I also reverted to 2 x 280 (Which is what used to be in that box)

The box the 5970 was in is not my main box and like Slawter, I'm just not happy with them although I won't deny that the hardware is very good.

I'll be switching to Fermi SLI in March

I'm selling the 5970 now while it's still fairly valuable and sought after (especially due to the continuing shortage). I just mentioned to a friend that I was getting rid of it and he said he'd be here on Saturday with the money
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 04:42 PM   #171
grey_1

Seeing some driver discussion here and while the 4870 is "old" in pc terms, the drivers should be fully mature and reasonably problem free. I haven't had a Cat. set yet that hasn't had some type of issue that bothered me slightly.

I may just go Fermi and see how things are faring on the green side for a while.
Old 01-29-10, 05:18 PM   #172
shadow001

Going by experience here,but rarely has a new generation of cards come with perfect drivers off the bat,and the HD800/5900 cards are no different,as we've only seen about 3 official driver sets for the HD5970 specifically,so with that in mind,some here are assuming that as soon as Fermi is released,regardless of it's performance or other issues,that it's drivers will be perfect right from the start?

I think that's pretty naive to say the least,as if we look at the past,the first sets of drivers for the G80(8800 GTS/GTX) were crap,especially with Vista,and having slower game performance than in XP,which took 6+ months to get them to the point where performance was pretty much even across both OS's.

The same thing also happeened when the GT200 GPU based cards were also released....Driver wise,they weren't that great right from the start either.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 05:24 PM   #173
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Going by experience here,but rarely has a new generation of cards come with perfect drivers off the bat,and the HD800/5900 cards are no different,as we've only seen about 3 official driver sets for the HD5970 specifically,so with that in mind,some here are assuming that as soon as Fermi is released,regardless of it's performance or other issues,that it's drivers will be perfect right from the start?

I think that's pretty naive to say the least,as if we look at the past,the first sets of drivers for the G80(8800 GTS/GTX) were crap,especially with Vista,and having slower game performance than in XP,which took 6+ months to get them to the point where performance was pretty much even across both OS's.

The same thing also happeened when the GT200 GPU based cards were also released....Driver wise,they weren't that great right from the start either.
You're the one making assumptions. Nobody said the drivers would be perfect and I'm sure there will be teething problems, there always are. Like Slawter, I'm not risking having to wait for SLI support for the new games coming in the next month or so. That's one of the major advantages that Nvidia offers and one that I'm just not willing to give up.

To each their own at the end of the day. I've tried 2 different flavours of ATI 5xxx and I wasn't happy with them. If you are, then who cares what anyone else thinks.
Old 01-29-10, 05:31 PM   #174
grey_1

Quote:

Not sure if this was in reply to me but if it was -

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Seeing some driver discussion here and while the 4870 is "old" in pc terms, the drivers should be fully mature and reasonably problem free. I haven't had a Cat. set yet that hasn't had some type of issue that bothered me slightly.
I've been Nv from the 6800GT to the 9800GTX and have always seen bugs squashed and drivers improved. While I love this card, it's been long enough (got it at release) so I've had time to compare long term the work of Nv's driver teams and ATIs.

I'm not claiming Nv has no issues, they just appear to be fixed sooner rather than later. Besides, Any issues the 58xx series has now "should" be fixed by Fermi's rollout. I can do a better comparison before buying at that time.
Old 01-29-10, 05:44 PM   #175
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
I did mention a few facts that weren't really facts but a majority of people agreed over the ones that disagreed.
This is an Nvidia forum, buddy. That wouldn't surprise me one way or another.

Anyhow, I appreciate the kind comments. You like Nvidia better and, based on your experiences with ATI, it isn't surprising. I have no problem with someone basing their purchasing decisions on their experiences. The only reason that I spoke up is that it seemed you were trying to objectify that ATI cards were "garbage", i.e. state it as fact.

You'll never see me arguing someone over an opinion, and although I've owned both Nv and ATI in the past, I try to stay away from arguing ATI supremacy on this forum since it is Nvidia-centric. I try to be mindful of that out of respect for others.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 06:16 PM   #176
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
You're the one making assumptions. Nobody said the drivers would be perfect and I'm sure there will be teething problems, there always are. Like Slawter, I'm not risking having to wait for SLI support for the new games coming in the next month or so. That's one of the major advantages that Nvidia offers and one that I'm just not willing to give up.

To each their own at the end of the day. I've tried 2 different flavours of ATI 5xxx and I wasn't happy with them. If you are, then who cares what anyone else thinks.

How isn't that a problem exactly?....You're getting a brand new generation of cards and want SLI to work with every new game release right off the bat,without you having to create your own custom profile?...Good luck,you'll need it.

For the record,the 10.2 drivers,or at least the beta's that i'm using,have a seperate tab just for crossfire profiles,meaning we'll soon not have to wait for new drivers every month to get crossfire support for new game releases,as the profiles can get updated seprately from the drivers themselves,directly from ATI's site.

Old 01-29-10, 06:24 PM   #177
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
Not sure if this was in reply to me but if it was -

I've been Nv from the 6800GT to the 9800GTX and have always seen bugs squashed and drivers improved. While I love this card, it's been long enough (got it at release) so I've had time to compare long term the work of Nv's driver teams and ATIs.

I'm not claiming Nv has no issues, they just appear to be fixed sooner rather than later. Besides, Any issues the 58xx series has now "should" be fixed by Fermi's rollout. I can do a better comparison before buying at that time.

Just a general comment that drivers from the time of release of any new card aren't quite perfect or even extracting all the performance that the hardware is capable of either,but rather a gradual process of performance improvements and bug killing,and that applies to both ATI and Nvidia.

My brother owns an 8800GT,which given it's age and the countless drivers that have been released since that particular model hit retail,you'd think they'd be perfect after 2+ years,yet every now aand then when he's running new applications or games,he still has to update them when there's obvious stuff not running like it should.

The perfect driver will never be written by anyone,as there's always something wrong somewhere since there's thousands of applications out there.
Old 01-29-10, 06:24 PM   #178
Slytat

Quote:
How isn't that a problem exactly?....You're getting a brand new generation of cards and want SLI to work with every new game release right off the bat,without you having to create your own custom profile?...Good luck,you'll need it.

For the record,the 10.2 drivers,or at least the beta's that i'm using,have a seperate tab just for crossfire profiles,meaning we'll soon not have to wait for new drivers every month to get crossfire support for new game releases,as the profiles can get updated seprately from the drivers themselves,directly from ATI's site.
Good for you, enjoy your cards and I'll enjoy mine.

Of course ATI's profiles will be perfect right off the bat while naturally, Nvidia will have all kinds of problems /sarcasm off

Get a clue and stop worrying about what other people are buying.

I'm not going to make an argument for you to bail on your cards anymore than you can convince me to stick with ATI. I tried them, I didn't like them.
Old 01-29-10, 06:35 PM   #179
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
Good for you, enjoy your cards and I'll enjoy mine.

Of course ATI's profiles will be perfect right off the bat while naturally, Nvidia will have all kinds of problems /sarcasm off

Get a clue and stop worrying about what other people are buying.

I'm not going to make an argument for you to bail on your cards anymore than you can convince me to stick with ATI. I tried them, I didn't like them.

I didn't say that so stop implying stuff i didn't say.

What i did say is that there's no such thing as perfect software from anyone.....There's simply far too many applications on the market and different hardware configurations to make it possible.

If we had perfect drivers,there would be a single release for the entire lifespan of a given video card,but since both companies do regular driver updates,it's because not everything out there is running the way it should.

The only thing you can say is that software you use is running fine,but that is hardly considered perfection,not even close to it.
Old 01-29-10, 06:36 PM   #180
Slytat

Quote:
I didn't say that so stop implying stuff i didn't say.

What i did say is that there's no such thing as perfect software from anyone.....There's simply far too many applications on the market and different hardware configurations to make it possible.

If we had perfect drivers,there would be a single release for the entire lifespan of a given video card,but since both companies do regular driver updates,it's because not everything out there is running the way it should.

The only thing you can say is that software you use is running fine,but that is hardly considered perfection,not even close to it.
Quote:
some here are assuming that as soon as Fermi is released,regardless of it's performance or other issues,that it's drivers will be perfect right from the start?
Ok, I never implied anyone had perfect software. You assumed that's what other posters were implying.

I'm not sure what point it is you are trying to make tbh but whatever.