Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-29-10, 06:44 PM   #181
shadow001

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytat View Post
Ok, I never implied anyone had perfect software. You assumed that's what other posters were implying.

I'm not sure what point it is you are trying to make tbh but whatever.

Mostly because some are getting rid of their ATI cards,not because the hardware sucks,but due to driver issues on a card that's barely been released,and going the fermi option as soon as that one is released,so it's easy to infer that they're expecting better experiences on the software side of things,right from the first driver release.
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 06:58 PM   #182
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001 View Post
Mostly because some are getting rid of their ATI cards,not because the hardware sucks,but due to driver issues on a card that's barely been released,and going the fermi option as soon as that one is released,so it's easy to infer that they're expecting better experiences on the software side of things,right from the first driver release.
Not really, I'm sure there'll be some teething problems with Fermi, but that's a given (at least as far as I am concerned).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow001
It's been more than 90 days already since ATI released their DX11 cards,and they've shipped 800 000 GPU's to customers so far....Hardly an insignificant lead to start off,and didn't Nvidia make a big deal out of having the first DX10 graphics card a couple of years ago,when it was ATI's turn to suffer delays with the R600,which ended up not performing as well as people hoped and used too much power.
In one breath you use the fact that ATI beat Nvidia to market by what will be ~6 months and now it's "barely released".

Pretty funny stuff.

Have fun
Slytat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-10, 07:07 PM   #183
shadow001

Quote:
Not really, I'm sure there'll be some teething problems with Fermi, but that's a given (at least as far as I am concerned).

In one breath you use the fact that ATI beat Nvidia to market by what will be ~6 months and now it's "barely released".

Pretty funny stuff.

Have fun

In terms of driver releases yes,as there's only 1 WHQL driver set being released once a month on average,which is actually more than what Nvidia have been doing for a long while now....What Nvidia do is release a truckload of beta drivers.

And the 6 month mark will be with regards to the HD5870 cards,assuming you can actually find Fermi's in march,not the HD5970's,which were offcially released on the 18th of november,so only a bit over 2 months ago....I've had mine now for about 1 1/2 months.

And as for the 800 000 GPU's shipped,you can now update that to 2 million since ATI made a statement with regards to that about 3 weeks ago,so you can only imagine how many more they'll sell until Fermi does show up in march,so it's quite a nice present Nvidia gave them with Fermi being released this late.

For the record,ATI ships about 35 million GPU's per year worldwide.
Old 01-29-10, 07:12 PM   #184
Slytat

Quote:
In terms of driver releases yes,as there's only 1 WHQL driver set being released once a month on average,which is actually more than what Nvidia have been doing for a long while now....What Nvidia do is release a truckload of beta drivers.

And the 6 month mark will be with regards to the HD5870 cards,assuming you can actually find Fermi's in march,not the HD5970's,which were offcially released on the 18th of november,so only a bit over 2 months ago....I've had mine now for about 1 1/2 months.

And as for the 800 000 GPU's shipped,you can now update that to 2 million since ATI made a statement with regards to that about 3 weeks ago,so you can only imagine how many more they'll sell until Fermi does show up in march,so it's quite a nice present Nvidia gave them with Fermi being released this late.

For the record,ATI ships about 35 million GPU's per year worldwide.
I'll have my Fermis in March.

I don't really care about how many GPUs ATI has shipped tbh
Old 01-29-10, 07:24 PM   #185
shadow001

Quote:
I'll have my Fermis in March.

I don't really care about how many GPUs ATI has shipped tbh

Here's hoping that you will get them,and that they will be the full 512 SP versions.

As for the volume that ATI has already shipped,it might not be of any interest to the average user,but you can bet the bank that Nvidia's CEO and their share holders are plenty worried about it,that's for sure,even more so in this crappy recession we're still neck deep in.

So thanks to the delays that Nvidia has suffered with Fermi,ATI are raking it in in terms of sales,with cards flying out of the shelves and only the most staunch Nvidia fans are still resisting the temptation of not buying the cards.
Old 01-29-10, 07:30 PM   #186
Slytat

Quote:
Here's hoping that you will get them,and that they will be the full 512 SP versions.

As for the volume that ATI has already shipped,it might not be of any interest to the average user,but you can bet the bank that Nvidia's CEO and their share holders are plenty worried about it,that's for sure,even more so in this crappy recession we're still neck deep in.

So thanks to the delays that Nvidia has suffered with Fermi,ATI are raking it in in terms of sales,with cards flying out of the shelves and only the most staunch Nvidia fans are still resisting the temptation of not buying the cards.
You're hilarious guy. You just can't help yourself.

If they are released in March, I'll have them in March.

FYI, I know 3 people who bought 5xxx series cards and quickly went back to Nvidia because they weren't happy and if Fermi is faster and priced right, we'll see how well ATI does in the face of actual competition (of which there is absolutely NONE right now).

Doubtless, you'll be ready with some ridiculous argument to try and justify why ATI is better but that won't come as any surprise.
Old 01-29-10, 07:31 PM   #187
Slytat

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Like WHQL is important....

What matters is bug fixing and game support for AA and Multi-GPU. I really prefer the nV way here. They usually have a driver ready before or on the game's release day. Sometimes even for pre-release versions (demos, betas). That's great support. It doesn't matter if it's beta or final... support is there and it works.

ATI's driver update schedule is simply too slow and not flexible enough. Hot Fix drivers are usually out too late and might even break some other stuff that worked before with the normal version.
/QFT
Old 01-29-10, 07:36 PM   #188
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
Like WHQL is important....

What matters is bug fixing and game support for AA and Multi-GPU. I really prefer the nV way here. They usually have a driver ready before or on the game's release day. Sometimes even for pre-release versions (demos, betas). That's great support. It doesn't matter if it's beta or final... support is there and it works.

ATI's driver update schedule is simply too slow and not flexible enough. Hot Fix drivers are usually out too late and might even break some other stuff that worked before with the normal version.

Seems like oh i dunno,OEM's like HP or compaq,Dell and all other brand name PC makers do,that's why it's there....They won't install beta drivers not having gone thru the windows certification program,period.

Old 01-29-10, 07:42 PM   #189
Slytat

Quote:
Seems like oh i dunno,OEM's like HP or compaq,Dell and all other brand name PC makers do,that's why it's there....They won't install beta drivers not having gone thru the windows certification program,period.
It's irrelevant as far as Nvidia goes, I'm running non WHQL betas at least 50% of the time.

Why don't you just accept the fact that not everyone shares your glowing (and endless) endorsements of ATI.

You like their cards, we get it already
Old 01-29-10, 07:45 PM   #190
shadow001

Quote:
You're hilarious guy. You just can't help yourself.

If they are released in March, I'll have them in March.

FYI, I know 3 people who bought 5xxx series cards and quickly went back to Nvidia because they weren't happy and if Fermi is faster and priced right, we'll see how well ATI does in the face of actual competition (of which there is absolutely NONE right now).

Doubtless, you'll be ready with some ridiculous argument to try and justify why ATI is better but that won't come as any surprise.

Nope no argument about ATI being better at all,but rather being out first,having no competition on the market,selling a lot of cards in the process and making tons of money while they're at it....Basically,Nvidia's worst nightmare has and is continuing to happen right before our eyes.

For all we know,by the time Fermi is actually available in any sort of decent volumes,they'll have to face refreshed versions of the HD5870 and HD5970 cards,not the current ones,as they're old news by then....

The tech industry is brutal when your product is really late,just like when ATI was really late with their original R600 cards,which were 6+ months late,used too much power and ran hot, and didn't perform as good as was expected,and so far,apart from the actual performance numbers of fermi,which of course are still unknown,it's following the same path as the R600 did back in the day.

Just something to think about...
Old 01-29-10, 07:47 PM   #191
shadow001

Quote:
It's irrelevant as far as Nvidia goes, I'm running non WHQL betas at least 50% of the time.

Why don't you just accept the fact that not everyone shares your glowing (and endless) endorsements of ATI.

You like their cards, we get it already

OEM contracts pay the bills,as they order the highest volumes of cards from both ATI and Nvidia,so WHQL matters.
Old 01-29-10, 07:54 PM   #192
Slytat

Quote:
Nope no argument about ATI being better at all,but rather being out first,having no competition on the market,selling a lot of cards in the process and making tons of money while they're at it....Basically,Nvidia's worst nightmare has and is continuing to happen right before our eyes.

For all we know,by the time Fermi is actually available in any sort of decent volumes,they'll have to face refreshed versions of the HD5870 and HD5970 cards,not the current ones,as they're old news by then....

The tech industry is brutal when your product is really late,just like when ATI was really late with their original R600 cards,which were 6+ months late,used too much power and ran hot, and didn't perform as good as was expected,and so far,apart from the actual performance numbers of fermi,it's following the same path as the R600 did back in the day.

Just something to think about...
You are dealing in baseless speculation.

For all we know by the time Fermi shows up, there'll be time travelling monkeys raiding 7/11s with cricket bats.

Seriously, that's why I said you can't help yourself and why as much as you keep telling me you are not biased, you very clearly are.

If Fermi were to be a substandard product, then I would agree that Nvidia had definitively lost this round. The point (that I suspect you'll refuse to concede no matter what happens) is that if Fermi is as fast as has been hinted at and priced competitively, all will be forgiven and your "devoted" ATI users will be selling/ditching their 5xxx series cards in droves.