Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 400/500 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-30-10, 10:15 AM   #217
Xion X2

Default Re: 5870/5970 vs. GF100 (Fermi)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
Actually a majority have swapped back to old video cards
Saying it's the "majority" is going a little far. There are a ton of guys around here right now that are still running 5xxx series cards that were running Nvidia prior.

Quote:
my games look more crisp with the nvidia cards, and the colors are a lot better in windows, probably due to digital vibrance.
As a result of digital vibrance, probably. ATI also has the same option called "Avivo Color":

And this, I feel, is another case of people just being so used to Nvidia that they don't want to make a change. That's fine that you're used to something. Just don't make it sound like ATI doesn't have the same functionality. A lot of the complaints I've seen around here about problems getting AA to work or lack of digital vibrance are things that would take a few minutes to figure out if the user had the patience to do so instead of just looking for a reason to go back to Nvidia. I don't understand why a lot of these guys don't find an ATI support forum to ask these questions at instead of complaining about them on an Nvidia forum. I know that Eric Demers, lead designer of the 5xxx series, hangs out on Rage3D a lot and answers questions and concerns from people all the time.

With the exception of a few more bugs in media playback, you can pretty much get the same experience from ATI as you can from Nvidia. They just implement things differently.

I do agree with slawter that ATI has more bugs in non-gaming usage but, like some others, I have a separate box for that kind of stuff. I don't see the point in using a rig that consumes up to 700-800w regularly for things that a lesser machine can do just fine.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 11:43 AM   #218
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaWter View Post
You have to admit, that wattage amount is way over the top Many CPU or GPU reviews show that they measure much less Watts, even at load, at the outlet.
When it comes to media playback, the 100-200W difference between a good HTPC and a "all-in-one" PC is probably negligible compared to the total consumption of the complete AV equipment.
I was talking about my OC'd quad Crossfire setup, not yours. And I can tell you there's certainly more than a "100-200w" difference between my gaming box and my render box. More like 300-400w.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slawter
In my opinion though, a product is good and usable when it can perform at at all times in all the usual tasks for a specific product.
My own opinion is that this is asking a lot from a computer to play everything perfectly all of the time given the mass amount of varying configurations that are out there. I admiitted just recently that I've seen a few more bugs from ATI when it comes to non-gaming use, but Nvidia has never been perfect, either. The G80 cards gave me fits in all sorts of ways, and we both know what a catastrophe 680i was. So Nvidia is not without their flaws.

In fact, I'm sitting here on a 9800GT right now that I have in my renderbox and hooked up to my 42" 1080p Toshiba, and every time that I boot Windows, the driver wants to reset back to 1920x even though I have it saved to 1280x720, which my TV is capable of, in the control panel upon shutting down. I realize the driver's probably resetting to the native res, but it's still a pain to have to reset the resolution every time that I want to surf the web.

Just a small example of one of the many bugs that are inevitable in the world of PCs. When you don't have a set standard, you're always going to have them.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 01-30-10, 11:59 AM   #219
Xion X2

Quote:
Did you try using Ultramon? You can set up different profiles and assign key shortcuts to activate them or even auto-load them on startup.
Never heard of it until now. Says it's for multi-monitor support when I look it up. I'm using a single display on my renderbox; Eyefinity is set up on the gaming box. Does it work for single displays as well?

Still, I'd consider it a nuisance to have to run a 3rd party software utility just to keep my resolution set at what I save it to. The driver should take care of that, but like I said, just one of the inevitable bugs of PC usage.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 01-30-10, 12:48 PM   #220
Xion X2

Quote:
Sure it works also for single display setups. But it also has features that are very useful for multi-screen setups. I'd try it with Eyefinity (not in a merged single screen mode but 3 or more separate screens) also. It's really cool for setting up your screens and working with multiple windows/apps at the same time.

btw, why don't you use your Eyefinity screens for Rendering as well? That whole screen real estate should be great for stuff like Rendering, CAD or A/V productions
Alright then, thanks for the suggestion. Doesn't HydraGrid do something similar to this?

My Eyefinity setup is in another room, with an office chair. I like to keep my renderbox in the den as I can usually just kick back on the couch and relax for that kind of stuff (gaming requires me to be upright and alert.)

I sit in an office chair all day at work and so like to have a break from it when I can.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Old 01-30-10, 12:52 PM   #221
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2 View Post
Saying it's the "majority" is going a little far. There are a ton of guys around here right now that are still running 5xxx series cards that were running Nvidia prior.

As a result of digital vibrance, probably. ATI also has the same option called "Avivo Color":

And this, I feel, is another case of people just being so used to Nvidia that they don't want to make a change. That's fine that you're used to something. Just don't make it sound like ATI doesn't have the same functionality. A lot of the complaints I've seen around here about problems getting AA to work or lack of digital vibrance are things that would take a few minutes to figure out if the user had the patience to do so instead of just looking for a reason to go back to Nvidia. I don't understand why a lot of these guys don't find an ATI support forum to ask these questions at instead of complaining about them on an Nvidia forum. I know that Eric Demers, lead designer of the 5xxx series, hangs out on Rage3D a lot and answers questions and concerns from people all the time.

With the exception of a few more bugs in media playback, you can pretty much get the same experience from ATI as you can from Nvidia. They just implement things differently.

I do agree with slawter that ATI has more bugs in non-gaming usage but, like some others, I have a separate box for that kind of stuff. I don't see the point in using a rig that consumes up to 700-800w regularly for things that a lesser machine can do just fine.
Maybe not majority but many people. How does that sound? Many people have swapped back.

It may have the same functionality. I had never knew that though. I just like my nvidia card. I am a "Fan" of nvidia. A few extra FPS doesn't make me want to buy it any more or less.. I simply cannot adapt to ATI. With nvidia I feel like I am getting a lot more. That maybe just me, but that is why I am sticking with them.
Old 01-30-10, 01:50 PM   #222
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulizard View Post
Maybe not majority but many people. How does that sound? Many people have swapped back.

It may have the same functionality. I had never knew that though. I just like my nvidia card. I am a "Fan" of nvidia. A few extra FPS doesn't make me want to buy it any more or less.. I simply cannot adapt to ATI. With nvidia I feel like I am getting a lot more. That maybe just me, but that is why I am sticking with them.
That's what being a FAN is all about

Don't judge other people for their choices simply because you do not agree with them as a result of your being a FAN of a specific IHV.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-10, 04:06 PM   #223
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!

Hey Xion X2, give it up arguing with these fanboys. I know it's a NVidia site, just geeze you'd think sometime they would take off thier green blinders and see things for what they are. ATI has the fastest and best cards on the market right now.....sorry but that is fact. It wasn't very long ago that NVidia was king of the hill - it's just now ATI has the honors. If I were doing a new build right now it would be ATI all the way.

It's ok to be a loyal fan to one brand or another - just saying give ATI it's due guys. Your time will come......with GF100 Fermi.......maybe.....hehe

Kapt
16GB G. Skill Ripsaw DDR3 1600MHz memory
Powercolor 5870 OC'd to 949/1255
(OC'd only when gaming of course)
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM SATA HD
Sony dual layer 16X DVD/CD Writer
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
HP w2408h 24" monitor running @ 1920x1200 native rez
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
kaptkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 03:52 PM   #224
Dogmifier

Regardless of which is better (I find my NV cards to be better from a quality stand point (MY OPINION..I'm fine with you feeling differently)), both cards (even the 'slower' NV's (By a few frames, maybe) are great cards...

Buy what you want, don't worry about the rest....I'm buying the Fermi when it finally arrives simply because I've had the best luck with NV. ATi (According to my friends who swear by them) are great as well, I just won't be one of those buying one.

Can't we all just get along? Buy what you want, like what you want...let others
like and buy what they want?
Dogmifier is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-10, 04:04 PM   #225
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Here's why I bought the 5870.

My last 8800 GTX and a 9800 GTX+, that were the result of the same RMA to evga twice, died. The 8800 GTX artifacted and then died, while the 9800 GTX+ wouldn't even startup or post. Has Nvidia's quality control been slipping lately, or have I just been a victim of bad luck? Either way, the 8800 GTX lasted 2 years, and the 9800 GTX+ lasted 1. That's unacceptable for high-end parts. Now, all I will buy is cards that have a lifetime warranty on them, because apparently cards nowadays need a fat warranty to ensure a long life.

From what I've read, less people have had problems with the latest generations of ATI cards than Nvidia's offerings. I don't know if that's due to quality control issues, or what, but if you research this on the internet, there are more people griping about reliability of current nvidia cards. It may be because nvidia sells more of them, but I doubt it.

Regardless of the reason, my Fiance has a 4870 512mb card in her rig, and I have a 5870 1GB card in mine. Both cards have performed admirably, and as long as they continue to perform, I will have no reason not to get ATI cards provided they remain competitive in the market.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 04:09 PM   #226
Dogmifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post

Regardless of the reason, my Fiance has a 4870 512mb card in her rig, and I have a 5870 1GB card in mine. Both cards have performed admirably, and as long as they continue to perform, I will have no reason not to get ATI cards provided they remain competitive in the market.
That's fine, Mad...Just sayin'...The bickering really won't change anyones mind if they've already made it up....I'm what you'd consider an "NV Fanboy" I suppose, but I'm buying NV for
my perception of stability...Seems I always have problems with an ATi solution (My friends
love theirs though...)....so I'm going to stick to NV....

No reason to trash either card, really...I'm happy enough to give up a few frames per second
for piece of mind.
Dogmifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-10, 05:53 PM   #227
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpistol View Post
Here's why I bought the 5870.

My last 8800 GTX and a 9800 GTX+, that were the result of the same RMA to evga twice, died. The 8800 GTX artifacted and then died, while the 9800 GTX+ wouldn't even startup or post. Has Nvidia's quality control been slipping lately, or have I just been a victim of bad luck? Either way, the 8800 GTX lasted 2 years, and the 9800 GTX+ lasted 1. That's unacceptable for high-end parts. Now, all I will buy is cards that have a lifetime warranty on them, because apparently cards nowadays need a fat warranty to ensure a long life.

From what I've read, less people have had problems with the latest generations of ATI cards than Nvidia's offerings. I don't know if that's due to quality control issues, or what, but if you research this on the internet, there are more people griping about reliability of current nvidia cards. It may be because nvidia sells more of them, but I doubt it.

+1

Well said

Kapt
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
Old 01-31-10, 05:57 PM   #228
kaptkarl
Carolina Panthers Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogmifier View Post
That's fine, Mad...Just sayin'...The bickering really won't change anyones mind if they've already made it up....I'm what you'd consider an "NV Fanboy" I suppose, but I'm buying NV for
my perception of stability...Seems I always have problems with an ATi solution (My friends
love theirs though...)....so I'm going to stick to NV....

No reason to trash either card, really...I'm happy enough to give up a few frames per second
for piece of mind.
Well said as well Dog.

I just get really, really, really tired sometimes on this site of the fanboyism that exists here. I post here and at Rage, and own both brands of cards. If one is faster/better/more feature rich than the other, so be it....give them thier due.

Now I agree let's all get along..........and wait on Fermi........then ATI's refresh......then let the real fun begin!!

Kapt
11.8 Cat drivers
650W power supply
LG 8X Blu-ray Writer
Win 7 Ultimate 64bit