Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-20-10, 07:33 AM   #1
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Default Bioshock 2 DRM scheme - new level of low!

Bioshock 2 DRM is gonna suck.

- Initial installation requires one-time internet connection; Ability to save game, earn achievements, receive title updates and online play requires log-in to Games for Windows LIVE; software installations required including Microsoft Visual C++2008 Runtime Libraries, Games for Windows LIVE client, Games for Windows LIVE Client Patch, Sony DADC SecuROM, Microsoft DirectX.

Steam buyers will have to be logged in to Valve's service, wait for BioShock 2 to unlock, undergo SecuRom activation (and install limits too, most likely), then log in to Games For Windows Live once the game has loaded, and then use it exclusively for multiplayer. With all multiplayer GFWL setups being less than great to date, I have to say that my pessimism for BioShock 2's multiplayer mode has just gone up a notch.

Source: http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/52...ealed#comments

I'm sorry but at this point this will be alot easier....

Bioshock2.nfo

- Copy cracked contents from Crack folder to install directory
- Create offline Live account to save game

...why are developers pushing people to this? Its their own fault people are pirating more and more on the PC, its 200 times easier than buying the actual ****ing thing!!! Hello? Is this thing on????

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 08:08 AM   #2
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Default Re: Bioshock 2 DRM scheme - new level of low!

Those DRM requirements are for the single-player mode, too?
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 08:11 AM   #3
bacon12

Quote:
.why are developers pushing people to this? Its their own fault people are pirating more and more on the PC, its 200 times easier than buying the actual ****ing thing!!! Hello? Is this thing on????
Which is sad because of how futile their DRM is at stopping it from being cracked.
bacon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 08:11 AM   #4
jolle

Sounds a bit like Gears of War for PC.
Atleast with the gaming being totally crippled without being logged into GFWL.
Old 01-20-10, 08:19 AM   #5
FlakMagnet

Wasn't this the same for Batman:AA also? Had to install GFWL and most of the other things you mentioned too.

Seems to be a sorry trend being followed by more and more games Just give us the game without all the cabbage - the pirates will pirate it anyway
2xSamsung 7200 750GB RAID 0| Akasa Eclipse 62
FlakMagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 08:21 AM   #6
PeterJensen

Games for Windows live CRAP. Hate that ****.
Old 01-20-10, 08:26 AM   #7
raystorm
:)

I don't mind GFWL at all but I do not understand why Securom is used. I'm sure enough bitching will get it removed. Didn't 2K remove the drm's and stuff in their older games especially after a ton of complaints? ...they sure didn't learn from that I guess.
raystorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 08:31 AM   #8
|MaguS|

Um I don't see anything different then all GFWL games... And it's not their fault for more people pirating, its because people are cheap thieves. If it were due to DRM and/price then games without DRM and budget games wouldn't get pirated but they still do at alarming rates. Stop trying to justify piracy.

Old 01-20-10, 09:10 AM   #9
Logical

Take away the non-confirmed install limits and i have no problem at all with the protection that Bioshock 2 will use.

GFWL is actualy growing on me..
Logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 09:13 AM   #10
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical View Post
Take away the non-confirmed install limits and i have no problem at all with the protection that Bioshock 2 will use.

GFWL is actualy growing on me..
I have just gotten use to it so it doesn't bother me. I dout they would do the install limits, seems like most DRMs that had it are now backing away from it.
Old 01-20-10, 09:24 AM   #11
LurkerLito

Well this news is definitely making me pass on the game. They lost a day one purchase. I will wait till it's $10 like Bioshock is at the earliest if I decide to buy it later so they can not profit much from my purchase. Securom + GFWL + Steam DRM OMG what a bunch of idiots. To think I was trying to think up of another 3 people to group buy with. Why bother to release the game at all if they are that paranoid about piracy? Since the ONLY way it won't be pirated is if they don't release it.

I am already annoyed now that when I run some of my games I get this long "logging on to steam" box pop up followed by another box that says "launching game" followed by another box to login to GFWL or you can't save or load your game. Throw in securom so I also have to manage activations anytime I think I may have done something to my PC to possibly lose "an activation" and all I can say is FU to both the publisher and developer.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 09:27 AM   #12
|MaguS|

Steam is not always DRM. Steam does not have to run if the game is not a steamworks title. I play Fallout 3 all the time without steam to increase stablitiy, hell I removed GFWL from Fallout 3 and it runs fine. Just because Steam is selling the game doesn't mean its providing the DRM for it also.