Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-10, 12:52 AM   #61
dandano
hardware antiquarian

Default Re: Bioshock 2 DRM scheme - new level of low!

from 2K Elizabeth at the 2K Games forum:

A message about PC specs, Games for Windows Live, and SecuROM from Elizabeth

Hey guys,

As many of you are aware, yesterday Steam's pre-purchase program began and the specs for BioShock 2 were posted along with that announcement.

These specs were taken from the retail packaging of BioShock 2. And since bullet points on the back of the box don't always explain the full story, here is a little more detail about what that means.

BioShock 2 is using a standard Games for Windows Live activation system, much like other games you have played in the past. That doesn't mean you always have to be online to play or save the game - you can create an offline profile for the Single Player portion of the game (you just won't earn achievements and you can't play Multiplayer, of course.)

We are using SecuROM only as a disc check method for the retail copy of BioShock 2. That is it's only use.

I am now checking the final plans for BioShock 2's specifications for Steam - and I'll get you a more complete answer by the end of the week. I have also been compiling a feature that will help answer a host of questions about BioShock 2 on the PC, including a podcast and screenshots of the PC version, and that should be out within a few days as well.

I'm sorry for the confusion, and I hope to clear it up entirely for you soon.

-Elizabeth

direct link: http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55023
Intel Core i7-950 3.06GHz LGA 1366 | Asus P6X58D-E | Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (7-8-7-20) | Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB SATA (Windows 7 Pro) | LiteOn iHES208 BluRay DVD Burner SATA | EVGA GTX 770 SC | Corsair HX650 PSU 3.3v(24A) 5v(30A) 12v(52A) | Lian Li PC-60 Plus case with window (black) | Monsoon 2.1 Speakers | Dell UltraSharp U2410 LCD (1920x1200@60Hz)
dandano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 12:54 AM   #62
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

So standard GFWL and just a disc check?

So it's actually pretty good on DRM, really.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 12:56 AM   #63
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

WOT? I R PIRAETE DIS GAEM 4 sORE!
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 02:00 AM   #64
nutcrackr
Super Registered User

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it a few weeks before Bioshock 1 was pirated? I seem to recall them not cracking the activation system until a few weeks after launch which is pretty good. In contrast to most games which are leaked either before release of within days.

GFW Live to save, well its the same with other GFW Live games, should hardly be new since we knew about the Live thing for weeks if not months.

15 activation limits? Unless you have 3 PCs and upgrade windows every year I don't see the big problem.

Securom well, that's arguable. I have had problems with it before, but mainly retail discs which refuse to read.

Being Australian my biggest problem with the game so far is raising the price on Steam from $50 USD to $80 USD.
Old 01-21-10, 03:48 AM   #65
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Who cares if it takes you 10 seconds longer to play our game if it helps keep at least some of the piracy at bay. I'd do exactly the same thing were I a developer. So many games use GFWL these days that everyone should have it installed already so it shouldn't be a problem and the automated login makes it even less of a hassle.

Bioshock 2 is going to rock!
Old 01-21-10, 04:16 AM   #66
K007

y would it need securerom...if it already has gfwl/steam......
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 04:17 AM   #67
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
Who cares if it takes you 10 seconds longer to play our game if it helps keep at least some of the piracy at bay. I'd do exactly the same thing were I a developer. So many games use GFWL these days that everyone should have it installed already so it shouldn't be a problem and the automated login makes it even less of a hassle.

Bioshock 2 is going to rock!
it doesn't stop piracy.

it makes it harder for legit users...while pirates have it easy.
Old 01-21-10, 04:23 AM   #68
BioHazZarD
USCM Marine

Send a message via MSN to BioHazZarD

Game should use online activation, nothing else.. i mean why make it so badass for pcgamers ? console gamers have no restrictions at all, they can lend their disc to anyone why cant we pc players also have it that good...
Chieftec Miditower /w 5 case fans | Corsair 620W HX PSU | Asus M4N98TD EVO SLI | AMD Athlon2 X2 260 3,2GHz | Corsair 3GB PC3-10666 | eVGA Geforce GTX 460 1GB (336shader) | Samsung Spinpoint x2 250GB HD +SATA 320GB | SB Audigy 4 @ 2.1 | Samsung Syncmaster BX2331 TFT 23" running 1920x1080@60hz | Windows XP PRO SP2 | |
BioHazZarD is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-10, 04:55 AM   #69
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
I have refused to buy MW2 because I refuse to pay $59.99 for a game (unless it is a special edition
Amen!
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 05:01 AM   #70
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomizer
... why would the steam version of Bioshock 2 ALSO use GFW?
There's many games that makes use of GFWL... Like GTA IV, Fallout 3 or Resident Evil 5, but apart from DRM, I guess it's for the achievements.

Quote:
... they need to do another System shock 2, or, do a game better resembling SS2 gameplay.
+1 for System Shock... 3

Quote:
...im just gonna say they need to employ a silent online check of some kind, without limited installs ...
But that thing about limited installs is like mailman2 (more or less) said... and my answer to that is the same... how many times are you planning on reformatting your hard drive? or how many times are you planning on installing and uninstalling any given game? Under 'normal' circumstances that equals to just one, and... that's about it.

Why the need for unlimited installs if you're supposed to install the game just once?
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 05:31 AM   #71
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
it doesn't stop piracy.

it makes it harder for legit users...while pirates have it easy.
It worked for both ME and GTA IV. Pirates have it easy once the game is cracked, but gfwl and securom should make it a bit harder.
Old 01-21-10, 06:06 AM   #72
K007

you say it worked...i say it didn't do a thing.

if the crack got delayed by 1 day...wow...like thats going to stop pirates from buying the game..they will just download it during the day and wait for the crack on sites to show up.

all i see anti-piracy stuff do is make life harder for those who buy it..

and this game has so much of it..i fail to see why have all when none works. just stick to steam/g4wl...

and this game is going to be a big flop online.