Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-21-10, 06:47 AM   #73
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: Bioshock 2 DRM scheme - new level of low!

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
you say it worked...i say it didn't do a thing.

if the crack got delayed by 1 day...wow...like thats going to stop pirates from buying the game..they will just download it during the day and wait for the crack on sites to show up.
I remember reading a lot of complaints from people that had pirated the games weeks after the release. Both developers had put in a lot of bugs pirates couldn't have known about before they were triggered so the pirates had to wait before being able to play the game from start to finish.

Quote:
all i see anti-piracy stuff do is make life harder for those who buy it..
It takes you one second longer to log in to GFWL and you have to be online the first time you play the game. Is that too much to ask from the developers who spent years developing games just to have them stolen? I'm sure they wouldn't do it this way if they knew it made no difference.

Quote:
and this game has so much of it..i fail to see why have all when none works. just stick to steam/g4wl...

and this game is going to be a big flop online.
There's no way to make a game completely safe from crackers, but if the developers manage to keep the game from getting leaked/cracked before the release, I'm guessing, a lot of impatient pirates out there buy legal copies.
Old 01-21-10, 06:52 AM   #74
HiCZoK4

I readed recently incredibly funny topic about piracy on gametrailers forum..

The thread started with pic od someone desktop. Guy was showing something... And someone accused him of piracy becouse he had Daemon installed and some third party mp3 players.

They were all talking that this type of tools only are used by games and music pirates

Funny times with the internet
HiCZoK4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 07:39 AM   #75
K007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3 View Post
There's no way to make a game completely safe from crackers, but if the developers manage to keep the game from getting leaked/cracked before the release, I'm guessing, a lot of impatient pirates out there buy legal copies.
lol i highly doubt a day or two is going to make pirates buy the game. They were going to pirate it no matter what.

Also the bugs you say that are put into games, thats clever, but they also have 'pirate' patches to fix those as well, and they get fixed pretty fast.

all i am saying is...the current method doesn't work. They need to figure out another way of doing a verification.

One thing that does stop multiplayer games from being pirated is the cd key..it has to be valid (aside from MW2, which is run by iwnet is a failure), most multiplayer games still require a valid key to be authenticated....still they need to find a way to get it somehow to work with singleplayer...i think a internet connection is the way to go...

on the other hand..if the game is good most people do buy it :P
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 07:44 AM   #76
NarcissistZero
Loving Everything Me

Send a message via AIM to NarcissistZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by K007 View Post
lol i highly doubt a day or two is going to make pirates buy the game. They were going to pirate it no matter what.
A lot of pirates are just spoiled brats, so it makes sense no cracked version for a couple weeks would make a huge impact on sales from them. Mass Effect and BioShock developers have said they saw a large effect from having good DRM methods at launch.

Also DRM stops a lot of more casual piracy as Magus said way back... Johnny Gamer passing the game around his office, for instance. People who don't know what a torrent is (believe it or not, a massive majority of people have no idea).

To say DRM is completely ineffective is just as naive as saying is is completely effective... the truth is in the middle.
I gots one of them high powered gaming computers with an EVGA GTX 480 video thingy and a Q9550 processing device and also one of them Windows 7 64 operating programs with 4GB of some Corsair 1033 DDR2 ram.

Steam, Xbox Live and PSN: StingingVelvet
NarcissistZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 09:53 AM   #77
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarcissistZero View Post
A lot of pirates are just spoiled brats, so it makes sense no cracked version for a couple weeks would make a huge impact on sales from them. Mass Effect and BioShock developers have said they saw a large effect from having good DRM methods at launch.

Also DRM stops a lot of more casual piracy as Magus said way back... Johnny Gamer passing the game around his office, for instance. People who don't know what a torrent is (believe it or not, a massive majority of people have no idea).

To say DRM is completely ineffective is just as naive as saying is is completely effective... the truth is in the middle.
I would be 110% happy using just Steam as DRM. Key gets installed into Steam like COD MW2 and FEAR 2, game is yours and linked into steam forever no disk needed. I dont see why we need installation and activation limits. If you bought a game there shouldn't be any limit to the amount of time you can reinstall it. Thats the whole point of BUYING a game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 11:04 AM   #78
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
I would be 110% happy using just Steam as DRM. Key gets installed into Steam like COD MW2 and FEAR 2, game is yours and linked into steam forever no disk needed. I dont see why we need installation and activation limits. If you bought a game there shouldn't be any limit to the amount of time you can reinstall it. Thats the whole point of BUYING a game.
But what would keep you from lending out the game to your friends and family? The whole point of buying a game is to show appreciation for the developer's work.
Old 01-21-10, 11:16 AM   #79
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCZoK4 View Post
I readed recently incredibly funny topic about piracy on gametrailers forum..

The thread started with pic od someone desktop. Guy was showing something... And someone accused him of piracy becouse he had Daemon installed and some third party mp3 players.

They were all talking that this type of tools only are used by games and music pirates

Funny times with the internet
Now this is bull**** if I have ever heard it. I use Daemon tools at WORK because it's one of the few mounters that can successfully mount images from Microsoft's Technet.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 11:33 AM   #80
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Now this is bull**** if I have ever heard it. I use Daemon tools at WORK because it's one of the few mounters that can successfully mount images from Microsoft's Technet.
those are standard isos, every "mounter" can do it. I use Slysoft clonedrive, free, adware free and doesn't install pesky SPTD that screws with your storage controllers.

Old 01-21-10, 11:50 AM   #81
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
those are standard isos, every "mounter" can do it. I use Slysoft clonedrive, free, adware free and doesn't install pesky SPTD that screws with your storage controllers.
Yeah I use clonedrive too.
Old 01-21-10, 11:59 AM   #82
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13 View Post
That's what I was using at work forever because DTOOLS is riddled with crapware if you don't carefully check every install step. I think my main problem was getting Clonedrive to work correctly with Vmware Infrastructure Client. It may have mounted the ISOs fine for the OS, but VIC just didn't want to see the image from Clonedrive, even though it seemed to appear the same way it does from DTOOLS.

Go figure.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 12:05 PM   #83
LurkerLito

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailman2 View Post
+100%

What they are doing with Bioshock 2 really deserves it to be boycotted IMO. While I still would rather everything be DRM free that I know is unrealistic, but putting 3 types on is just insanity. Two of the DRMs have activation limits Securom = 5, GFWL IIRC some higher number like 15. IIRC the third form of DRM is Steam if you buy there, or retail a disc check (seriously WTF).

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-10, 12:20 PM   #84
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerLito View Post
+100%

What they are doing with Bioshock 2 really deserves it to be boycotted IMO. While I still would rather everything be DRM free that I know is unrealistic, but putting 3 types on is just insanity. Two of the DRMs have activation limits Securom = 5, GFWL IIRC some higher number like 15. IIRC the third form of DRM is Steam if you buy there, or retail a disc check (seriously WTF).
Care to clarify the part I bolded? How is thing going to affect you in any way?